2. Balcony

Akaashi flinched, waking as fingers went through his hair. He had been in an incredibly deep sleep only to be coaxed out of it but none other than another sister. She was older than him and knew just how to help him at all times. "Keiji... it's late morning. How do you feel?"

"Ill."

She smiled sadly. "Father screamed because of your vomit. It was quite funny."

Akaashi smiled. "I hope he tripped on his way out."

His sister eased him up and set him against her chest. Just like their mother, both of them were tall and lanky so this was slightly uncomfortable. "I wish. I brought you some soup. Can you manage that?"

Akaashi nodded and opened his eyes. "Thanks Amaya."

"No problem at all."

Akaashi took the bowl and spoon from her. He ate as his sister recounted what each of the girls had done so far. Akaashi adored their stories. Sara was beginning piano and Amaya was teaching her. The twin girls Emi and Ema were starting on learning the layout of the kingdom, which was impressive.

They girls hadn't minded Akaashi getting ill during dinner as it was normal. The only thing they were worried about was the state of their father's wife. She had given birth to Sara seven years ago and at that time had been visiting the side of the castle that her husband stayed on. Now her trips were happening again. Akaashi knew that they were making a final attempt at having another son and just shrugged it off.

His father hated the fact that as soon as he died Akaashi would be in charge of the kingdom. He was seen as fragile and frail and quiet compared to the men in his family. At times he was accused of even being homosexual because of how many times he had rejected women. He was twenty and just wasn't ready for women or an arranged marriage.

He would either be placed with a man or woman and he really thought it may be another man so that someone could kill him and his husband would rule. It had happened before to other kingdoms.

Amaya gently took Akaashi's bowl. "Your fever has gone down."

"How would you know?" Akaashi mumbled.

"Because I checked on you last night and you were sweating because of how high your fever had gotten."

Akaashi nodded. He laid back down and Amaya covered him. He buried his head in pillows and Amaya left his room.

He slept for a few more hours in solitude, until he was interrupted again. This time it was by Sara, who excitedly handed him a little cloth bag.

Akaashi stayed still this time, knowing he wouldn't like it if he sat up. "Hi honey. What have you got?"

"I found you a cookie!"

"Thank you. Set it on the table, I'll get to it in a moment."

"Okay!" Sara put it down and huddled close to Akaashi.

"You'll get sick if you stay with me."

Sara whined. "I want to stay with you."

"I know Sara but I'd prefer not to have you sick at such a young age." Akaashi sat up slightly. "Is father asking for me for dinner?"

"No! Mommy wants to see you soon though."

"Is she coming here?"

"I think so."

The door opened and he smiled. "Mama."

His mother walked over and lifted Sara. "Hi honey. Sara, go to dinner."

Sara ran out of the room and Akaashi felt a cool cloth on his face. He smiled lovingly up at the woman helping him. "Thank you."

She smiled and kissed his hair. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Slightly."

"Slightly as in?"

"I'm not as warm now but I am incredibly tired and my body hurts."

"You certainly feel very warm." She looked over and smiled at the maid walking in. "Thank you."

The maid set down the tray with soup and bread. "Would you like some fruit as well sir?"

"No thank you." Akaashi shook as he sat up, his muscles weak from sleep. He was handed his bowl and spoon before he drank a bit of it. He started coughing again, holding his chest.

His mother scooted closer and hugged him, giving him some warmth. "It's similar to last year, isn't it?"

"Maybe." He gagged and she held him tighter.

"Keiji please tell me if you're about to be sick on my dress."

Akaashi nodded hurriedly. His mother hurried him up to the window and the climbed out to the balcony. Akaashi puked into the plant he kept there, collapsing. His mother eased him up and he started to puke again, this time on himself.

"Oh honey... let me get a nurse. Stay right there." His mother went back into the room and Akaashi just held onto the railing of his small balcony. It was actually a lot smaller than someone who would be a king soon expected, meaning he was barely able to fit with the maids helping him up and into his room. The floor was mostly tile and would be easy to clean as he could not stop throwing up, not managing to get everything out yet.

His mother leaned down and rubbed his back slowly. "Easy, easy. Deep breaths. You're going to stress yourself."

Akaashi started to dry heave, clutching his stomach.

"Do you need to maybe go to a washroom?"

"Ma'am if I may?" A nurse whispered.

She backed up and Akaashi looked up, shaking. Two servants helped Akaashi to his feet and out of the room. When he got back to his room everything had been cleaned and he was in new clothes. He had been washed after using the bathroom and set back in bed. Now he was sitting there as another maid helped him drink some water.

"How much longer will this last?"

"A few more days, a week at most."

Akaashi nodded. He sneezed and shook his head to get rid of the odd feeling. "Mm... can I sleep outside?"

"Sir it's much too cold for you, you will get worse."

Akaashi huffed softly. He pointed to the fireplace across the room. "Then there?"

The maid eased him out of bed. She moved his bedding to the floor and started a fire for him. As she was doing so he fell asleep just beyond the hearth of the fireplace. His mother walked back in and smiled sadly. "He's been tired?"

"Very. He was very delirious while we were bathing him and even asked to go outside to sleep."

"He must be burning up. I'm glad he's sweating it out."

She nodded and they left him alone. Throughout the night Akaashi slept by the fire. The servants coming in to fix the fire didn't bother him and he stayed warm. In the morning he was led out to the dining hall where he was feeling better but not where he should have been.

He ate half of his breakfast before excusing himself to go rest again. It was against his morals to lie but he didn't want to rest. He needed fresh air and a walk in the garden. That usually made him feel better.