4. Guards

Bokuto set down the man he'd been holding, careful as ever. Akaashi was deep in sleep and needed to be covered up.

Bokuto's mother paused, confused. "Kotarou?"

"I found him outside. His lips were blue and he's sick Mama. We need to help him." Bokuto reached under the bed and grabbed his blankets. He put it over the younger male and tucked him in. Akaashi coughed, shivering. He wasn't awake but it was still concerning.

"Did he have a coat?"

"Mhmm." Bokuto held it up. "It's got vomit on it."

"Oh poor thing."

Bokuto put more wood in the fire and got a bucket, filling it halfway with snow and putting it close to the fire. It melted within no time and he washed away the vomit. He hung it up and found a glass that he filled with snow that he melted down so Akaashi had some water. This all took just over an hour and the whole time Akaashi slept, his breathing shallow. Bokuto felt of his forehead and frowned. "Mama?"

"Yes honey?"

"How do I get his fever to go down?"

"It'll go down over time. His resting will help. I have some extra food and I'll give it to him." She picked up a bowl and ladled some soup into it. "Wake him gently."

Bokuto leaned over and tapped Akaashi's shoulder. "Hey hey hey, time to wake up. Are you hungry?"

Akaashi hummed softly. He stretched and Bokuto chuckled. He tapped his shoulder again. Akaashi's eyes eased open. "Mm?"

"We have some food and some water if you'd like?"

Akaashi nodded. He took a deep breath. Bokuto eased him up and gave him some water. Akaashi was then given the bowl, which he couldn't exactly hold from how weak he was.

"You need some help?"

Akaashi looked up to Bokuto, eyes pleading.

"It's okay, it's okay. I get how it feels. I used to get sick a lot."

Akaashi nodded. Bokuto helped him out, helping him lift the spoon. Akaashi's strength came back a bit and he became slightly more aware of his surroundings. Was he in a shed? This space was so tiny...

"How are you feeling?"

"Better I think. May I have some more water?"

Bokuto handed him the cup and Akaashi sipped at it. He noticed Akaashi's little shakes and sighed. He must not be used to the cold yet.

Akaashi on the other hand was surprised he wasn't being scolded. Was this man a servant? He'd heard that some of them lived downstairs and had small rooms but this had a tiny kitchen. Was he in a peasant house?

Bokuto gently lifted his chin and checked his face for any scratches. "You must have been out there for a while. Your lips were blue."

Akaashi shrank back. No one really touched him unless it was nurses or family. He didn't know this person.

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. You must be a little confused."

Akaashi nodded.

Bokuto lowered his voice a bit. "I found you while I was clearing trails and you had collapsed. From what I saw you got all the way up to a tree and passed out again. You were very sick and still are and I brought you back to my home to help you."

Akaashi nodded again. "And um... where... where is your house located?"

"It is on a similar field that the castle is. I live closer to the farming areas than the gardens and stuff. I guess you live closer to the castle?"