18. Calm

Twenty two minutes had passed since Akaashi had been given an ultimatum.

He had been quietly redressing himself into something nice, ignoring everything Bokuto was saying. He at least wanted to look good if he was going to be dead in an hour.

Bokuto finally grabbed his shoulders. "Are you seriously worrying over what you look like right now?"

Akaashi took a deep breath. "If I'm going to be executed then I at least should look decent. I can't be seen dying in common wear because of my family."

Bokuto scoffed. "There's no way you're dying because of me."

Akaashi smiled.

"Keiji come on! I mean it!"

"I know." He stood on his tip toes and kissed Bokuto. "I love you."

Tears came to Bokuto's eyes. "Keiji. I am begging you, just tell them and they'll just throw me out. Please."

Akaashi kissed Bokuto again and headed to the door.

"Keiji what about Sara! And the twins! And Amaya! Your mother?! What happened to being an independent king with a lover and a child?!"

Akaashi paused. "I don't know if wearing the color black would suit you."

"We can change the main color. We can change everything. That whole village at the end of the mountain would be able to live again. My parents could afford food. Your sisters could talk to other children." Bokuto sighed softly. "Keiji we could be in peace."

Akashi turned around and held out a hand. "Come with me."

Bokuto hurried to him and held his hand tight. "I'm here. I promise."

Akaashi nodded. "Don't let go."

Akaashi led him slowly down the halls. His grip was tight against Bokuto's hand but he needed him. He needed every moment, every touch, every breath. Bokuto was his everything right now.

Akaashi stood in front of the guard standing in front of his mother's room. "Where is my father?"

"In his study sir."

"Would you please bring my mother to his study. I have something to tell the both of them."

"Your mother is sleeping sir."

"Wake her. This is urgent."

"Yes sir. Would you like a guard to walk you to your father's study?"

"No thank you." Akaashi turned around, guiding Bokuto upstairs.

"Why is his study at the very top of the castle?"

"So he can look out to the fields and villages. It's a control issue."

Bokuto hummed. He rubbed his thumb over Akaashi's hand.

"I've always wanted it to be my room."

"Yeah?"

"Mhmm. I love the view and the sun rises and shines into the room. Once when I was very small my father let me sleep in his study and I woke up to the sun coming through the mountain tops. I hope I get to show you."

"Me too."

Akaashi opened a door and they made their way up the stairs. "There's still time to turn around."

"I am not leaving you."

Akaashi squeezed Bokuto's hand briefly. "Good."

They opened another door at the top of these stairs and at every door down this hall there was a guard. Akaashi sighed shakily at the sight of Satoru sitting in front of his father's study. Satoru stood. "I see you are feeling suicidal today?"