19. Mourning

Akaashi turned over in bed, sighing softly. "Kotarou?"

Bokuto hummed, pulling him closer.

Akaashi sat up a bit. "Hang on. Do you hear that?"

Bokuto shook his head. "Lay back down."

Akaashi hesitantly did as told, cuddling up to Bokuto's chest. He heard the door rattle and whined softly. "Ko..."

"I got it, I got it." Bokuto kissed his hair. "I'm sure it's the wind Keiji." He got up and cracked open the door. "Oh boy."

"What is it?"

"Sara."

Akaashi got up and opened the door all the way. He lifted his sister, worried. "What are you doing out of bed sweetheart?"

"I-I made a mess!"

Akaashi noticed the wet spot on her dress. "Oh gosh did you wet the bed honey?"

Sara nodded, sniffling.

"Why'd you leave your room and come here? I'm sure someone will change the sheets."

"B-because it's yucky and- and Satoru told me I was gross!"

Bokuto stepped closer. "Hey, hey, hey little miss. What's Satoru doing in your room hun?"

"I-I don't know. He tried taking my blanky and mommy gave me that blanky and it scared me so I pee peed in my bed. I didn't mean to I swear!"

Bokuto kissed her forehead. "Shhhh, shhhh. Me and your big brother will get you a new nightgown and clean you up. Is that okay with you?"

Sara nodded silently.

"We need to check on the twins," Akaashi whispered. His eyes widened. "And Amaya."

"Thinking the same." Bokuto carried Sara down the halls, gentle as ever. Akaashi woke the twins and they walked behind him in the halls. Next they went to Amaya's room where she was snoring loudly.

"Amaya. Amaya wake up," Akaashi urged. He shook Amaya's shoulder. "Amaya!"

Amaya startled awake. She stared at the group by her bedside. "What in the hell..."

"We need to get to father. Now."

"What? Why?"

"Satoru may have just done something awful to Sara."

Amaya shot up and reached under her bed. She pulled out a long knife. "Come on."

Akaashi stared. "Is that...?"

"Our mother's? Of course."

Akaashi hummed. They went upstairs and Akaashi's father came out of his room, frustrated at the sight of his children just standing outside of the door.

"What the Hell? It is past all of your bed times. This is ridiculous."

"Satoru went into Sara's room sir," Bokuto stated softly. "She needs to be changed and put back to bed. I can have all of the girls sleep with us but I'm worried he is trying to harm your daughters. Is your wife protected?"

"She is." Akaashi's father snapped his fingers at a servant. "Get my daughter new night clothes immediately."

The servant rushed off. Akaashi lifted one of the twins and Amaya lifted the other. "Father please, we are very scared."

"I understand. When that girl gets back change Sara. The twins and her may sleep with Keiji and I'm assuming Bokuto. Amaya, you are to sleep in the room next to mine or with your mother. I do not need my guards, they can assist everyone else."

Akaashi nodded. They got Sara changed and cleaned before running down the halls with guards. Amaya went to her mother and Akaashi had the girls stay with him. Bokuto blocked off the door for them and got back in bed.

"What if we can't sleep?" Sara whispered.

"Please try."

Bokuto set Sara between them. One twin attached to him and the other to Akaashi. The rest of the night was silent for them. Everyone slept peacefully and Akaashi never once woke up.

The morning was a different story though. All of the curtains had been closed and candles were lit.

Akaashi approached a servant, worried. "Hey um... what is happening? Why is the castle grieving?"

"Has no one spoken to you sir?"

"No?"

"It is your parents sir."

Akaashi looked back to Bokuto, who showed his confusion. "You are mistaken. We are going to meet them for breakfast."

One of the councilmen for Akaashi's father walked up and held out his hand. "Come with me."

Akaashi held his hand and Bokuto started to follow.

"Please, this is for Keiji only."

Akaashi shook his head. "No. If he doesn't get to come too then I refuse to follow you."

The man nodded and led them to the room Akaashi's mother had been staying in. She was nowhere to be seen and the whole room was empty.

"Where are her things? Where is my mother?"

"Last night both of your parents were targeted by your suitor. He attacked both of them as the guards were searching for him. He got to your mother first and then your father. I am very sorry for your loss."

Akaashi stared. "That's got to be some sick joke. Where are my parents?!"

Bokuto's heart started to ache. "Keiji I don't think it's a joke honey."

Akaashi shook his head. "She was getting better! That means she's eating with us! So is he! He loved her so much! I mean loves! My father loves my mother!" He rushed out of the room and Bokuto ran after him.

"Keiji stop!"

Akaashi ran into the dining hall. His father's chair and his mother's chair had black silk draped over them. He dropped to the floor, sobbing. Bokuto leaned down and held him. "This has to be a bad dream!"

"Keiji..."

Akaashi turned to Bokuto, a mess of snot and tears already. "She was my mother! She loved me! I love my mother so much and he fucking killed her just because I wouldn't have sex with him!"

Bokuto hugged Akaashi tight to his chest. Akaashi punched him over and over in the chest, sobbing and screaming. Bokuto just held him through it though, rubbing his back.

Eventually he overworked himself into fainting and Bokuto carried him to bed. He left the castle and visited his parents, who both worriedly stared at his tear stained cheeks.

"The King and Queen are dead. The castle is in mourning and I think Keiji needs help. He's becoming king later this week if this works as tradition."

"Oh Kotarou..."

"Mom I think I may also be king too."