12. Blood and Rice

Bokuto watched from his perch in his favorite tree as Akaashi walked out of the woods. It was getting dark and Akaashi's father had sent a group to find Akaashi. In this group was a very well dressed man who Akaashi had described earlier.

It broke his heart to watch Akaashi cower in fear at this man's touch. If he could he would make this man a weak sword that would break and shatter the bones in his feet. Bokuto climbed down and walked at the edge of the woods towards his home. He heard screaming from the group and froze.

Akaashi was screaming.

Bokuto turned back around and prayed he wouldn't be charged with treason. He rushed to the group and put on his most panicked face possible. "I heard screaming! Is everyone okay?"

Akaashi shielded his face, holding himself and trying to pull away from Satoru.

"Is the Prince okay?!"

Akaashi was forced to stand straight by Satoru, who huffed. "He fell."

"I've seen him fall sir. And no offense to you but he is very quiet and-"

"Who are you to talk to a future king like that? Bow before I make you."

Bokuto paused. He glanced at Akaashi, who had blood streaming down his face. Akaashi wouldn't look at him.

Bokuto lowered to his knees and bowed fully. "I apologize."

"You should be sorry." Satoru grabbed Akaashi's arm. "Your father told me to bring you home and you chose to spit on me. Just wait until we're in private."

Akaashi whined. "You're hurting me."

"Oh get over it."

Akaashi was pulled up the hill. Bokuto got up and sprinted back home, his chest hurting by the time he was there. His parents stared at him, worried. "Kotarou?"

"Keiji... he..."

Bokuto's mother sat him down and rubbed his back. "Slowly. What happened?"

"His suitor just cut his face. I'm pretty sure he's about to do worse."

His mother sighed. "We can't do anything."

"Not yet. I'm going to make him a sword."

"Oh good God."

****

Akaashi watched as a maid poured dry rice on the floor, terrified. Satoru had made him wear shorts and forced him down the stairs. Satoru was now in a chair and had a hold on Akaashi's wrist.

"Are you listening?"

"I am."

"When you are told, you are going to kneel on the rice."

Akaashi nodded. The maid stepped away and gave Akaashi an empathetic look. Akaashi looked at Satoru again before kneeling like he was told. Immediately it hurt his knees. They were soft from lotions and balms and baths to help his skin. Now the skin was being torn into by rice and it hurt.

"You stay there until I come and get you. There's a guard watching you and he is completely allowed to hurt you if you get up."

Akaashi nodded. Satoru kissed his cheek and left. Akaashi just closed his eyes and waited. He completely zoned out and the pain filled.

It must have been hours before he heard anything. It wasn't even Satoru coming back to tell him he was allowed to get up. It was a maid with a tray of bowls from tonight's meal. His stomach rumbled at the sight. He hadn't ate all day long.

A few more hours passed and he could no longer feel his legs. It was only a matter of time before he fainted or collapsed.

Akaashi shifted slightly and felt exhaustion and nausea both hit him. He looked back and the sun was rising. "Sir please... help... I feel ill..."