8. Chess Pieces

Bokuto stared as Akaashi successfully copped the branches from the tree laid across their path, in awe. He was so scrawny Bokuto had doubted he would be able to get the axe going fast enough to break anything with it. Akaashi looked up, panting. "Well are you going to help me or not?"

Bokuto grabbed his axe. "Yeah. Some of this wood can make a pretty table so watch out. I've gotta get it right."

Akaashi backed away and Bokuto took a deep breath. He raised his arms, the coat he was wearing barely going with him. The coat seemed so much smaller than Bokuto's needs. "Kotarou?"

Bokuto hit the tree again and the trunk split. He backed up, panting heavily. "Yeah?"

Akaashi gestured to his coat. "Is your coat too small?"

"Oh. I mean a little bit. It fits me okay though."

Akaashi hummed. He backed up and let Bokuto chop up the trunk. Some time later he heard a rip and looked up. Bokuto dropped his axe hurriedly and took off his coat. "Fuck! Are you shitting me right now?!"

Akaashi's eyes widened. "Will you watch your mouth?!"

Bokuto glared. "Did you hex me or something?"

"No?"

"My coat ripped," Bokuto whispered.

"Oh my..."

Bokuto's eyes watered. He dropped to the snow, just holding his coat. "My aunt made me this coat and I ripped it..."

Akashi leaned down and realized Bokuto was crying. "Hey, deep breaths. It's just a coat."

"You don't understand! I won't get another coat for years!" Bokuto sniffled. "I don't get new things ever..."

Akaashi set his hand on his arm. "Do you know how to sew?"

"No. Only my mama does."

Akaashi hummed. "Which way is to the castle?"

"Oh um..." Bokuto pointed to the right. "Do you want to go home?"

"I'd like you to follow me. Quickly lead me to the garden and from there I will show you something."

Bokuto got up and hid the axes before leading him close to the castle. Akaashi opened a different gate and strode through the garden until he got to a large apple tree. He pointed to it. Just above that is my balcony. Come with me up the tree and I'll find you a new coat."

"No."

"No?"

"No. I don't accept gifts like that. It's not fair to my family." Bokuto stepped back. "I'm sorry sir but no."

Akaashi struggled for a moment not to snap at him. He had never in his life been told no by someone of a lower class or by anyone but his siblings or parents. This wasn't normal. He was just trying to help. Akaashi sighed, knowing just how awful this would be but knowing he would be able to get the answer he was looking for. He pulled his dagger from his side and pointed it at Bokuto. "Go up the tree."

Bokuto stood his ground. "No. I'm not scared of a dagger. That thing is easy to break." He shifted his weight back onto one leg.

Akaashi scoffed. "I've used this a lot."

"And the blade is dull. It'll hurt, yeah. But not how you want it to."

Akaashi held it tighter, thrusting it towards Bokuto. "Go up the tree."

Bokuto grabbed Akaashi's hand and before Akaashi knew it he was on the ground, hands pinned behind his back awkwardly. "Don't you ever threaten me with a knife again. I may be a filthy blacksmith with no manners but I will not have a weapon pointed at me."