Chapter 4

Y/n POV
As soon as I finished work I drove straight to the address that Hailee had sent me. It was in one of the nicest neighbourhoods in the area and I knew that the houses weren't cheap.

I pulled up to number 36 which Hailee had identified as her house. I got out the car and knocked on her door. I didn't have to wait long before she opened the door and invited me in. Instantly, two small fluffy dogs came bounding in. 

"Martini! Brando! Leave him alone!" She scolded them. 

"It's okay, I love dogs." I smiled at her before crouching down to give the small dogs attention. The one with the shorter fur turned onto it's back and I scratched their belly. 

"That one's Brando." She gestured to the one under my hand. "This is Martini, Teenie for short." She had the other dog in her own hands. 

"They're adorable."  I smiled at the dog who had his tongue hanging out his mouth. After giving the dogs attention for a few minutes, I decided to go back to why Hailee invited me round in the first place. "So, you wanted to talk?" 

"Umm, yeah. Why don't we go into the living room." She gave me a small shy smile and lead me into her living room. She had two cream couches with an oak coffee table between, the walls were an off white colour and she had a flat screen TV at the end of the couches. 

She sat on one of the couches so I sat on the one facing opposite to her. She kept fidgeting with her fingers while I waited for her to start the conversation. I elected to move onto the couch next to her and held one of her hands in hopes to comfort her. 

"Hailee, are you okay?" I asked slightly concerned and worried. She swallowed deeply and nodded her head hesitantly.

"I- umm.." She let out a shaky breath as she tried to steady her breathing.

"Take your time. It's okay." I rubbed my thumb along the back of her hand. Part of me was worried that I was overstepping and she was going to push me away but I continued with my actions anyway. 

"I'm pregnant." She blurted out. My thumb stopped, I dropped her hand and it felt like my world had stopped. "It's your baby but you get it, yeah, you got that." She got nervous and started nervously talking. 

I took a few minutes to process what she had said. Thinking about the situation, I realised how insane it was. I had a one night stand with a stranger and now she's pregnant with my child. What the fuck am I gonna do? 

"Can you say something? Anything? You've been silent for over 10 minutes." I had noticed Hailee had moved away from me slightly and was now biting her nails nervously. 

I snapped out of... whatever I moment just had (A/n: snap back to reality...), and turned to face her fully. I pulled her fingers away from her mouth since it's bad to bite your nails. "How many tests did you take?" I asked. I wanted to be sure before my thoughts went too far.

"Two home ones and one at the doctors office. All three were positive." She told me.

"Definitely pregnant then." I said talking to myself. "What do you want to do?" I asked her first.

"What?" She asked with surprise in her tone.

"What do you want to do?" I repeated my question.

"What do you mean?" She asked confused.

"What do you want to do about the baby? You've got multiple options so you can think about it before any decisions are made." I told her.

"Why are you only saying me? It's your baby too." 

"Yeah, I guess they are but it's your body that will change, your career that will be put on hold, whatever that may be." I mumbled the last part only now realising all I knew about her was her first name. 

"You really don't know who I am?" She asked surprised.

"No, sorry. Am I supposed too?" I asked confused.

"Er, no. No, don't worry about it." She shook it off. 

"I think before we make any decisions we should know more about each other." I posed the idea.

"Okay. Tell me about yourself then, Y/n. When's your birthday? What do you do for a living?" She asked.

"Well, my name is Y/n L/n. I was born on the 24th of March in 1996 which makes me 26 and I'm a detective in the LAPD." I told her the basics. "What about you?" I asked.

Hailee POV
Do I tell him the truth or lie? I'm having his baby I should be honest with him, right? What if he takes advantage of me? No. He's not like that. He won't do that. Stop overthinking it, Hailee!

"I'm Hailee Steinfeld, I'm 25 but I'll be 26 on December 11th and I'm an actress, singer and model." I told him honestly.

"Wow." He seemed impressed. "The model thing makes sense since you're beyond beautiful and your normal voice is angelic so I'm sure your singing voice is just as amazing." He complimented me and I felt a blush creep up my cheeks. 

"Thanks." I said in a small voice.

"What's your family like?" He asked wanting to know more about me. I told him about my brother and parents and what their jobs were. I mentioned how my family helped me start my acting career at a young age and how they all helped me to achieve my dreams. The whole time I spoke about them I had a smile on my face which made him smile. 

Y/n POV
"What about your family?" Ah, shit.

"My family are..." I tried to think of a way to describe them. "Interesting, yeah. Interesting." I nodded my head nervously.

"Sorry, if I hit a nerve or something. You don't have to talk about them." She said once she realised my hesitation.

"No, it's okay. It's just, my family and I don't really get along. I get along with my brother but the rest of them, not so much. My parents disowned my brother when they told them they wanted to become a guy. They were born a woman but got transgender surgery which my parents didn't take well. They told me I had to pick sides so I chose my brothers side and they disowned me too. We grew up in Georgia and when we fell out with our parents I moved here and took Dylan with me." I gave her a nervous smile.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that." She held one of my hands in her own.

"Yeah. It's pretty shitty." I looked down at our two hands and smiled. Maybe Hailee and this baby can be my new family, and maybe there's a chance we can be happy.

"That explains the accent though." She changed the subject slightly.

"Yeah. I worked on my uncles farm too and he had a thick southern accent. When I came here I thought it would phase out and it has a bit but now it's like a mix of a southern accent and an LA accent." I laughed at the stupidity of it. The whole situations stupid really. I knocked up a girl who I had a one night stand with and now I'm sat on her couch getting to know her a bit.

"That's cool that you worked on a farm. What kinds of things did you do?" She questioned. Unlike some people who have asked questions like these before, Hailee seemed genuinely interested. I told her about how I usually tended to the animals since my uncle was an older gentleman so couldn't exactly do too much physical work.

The whole time we spoke, it felt like we were old friends. Everything just felt natural, like nothing was forced between us. From an outsiders view it would have probably looked like we were two friends who were catching up after years, not two people who had a one night stand and were getting to know each other before they decided what to do about the baby.

"I think we should talk about the baby now." Hailee said hesitantly. I think she was afraid that I was going to run.