Chapter 27

Y/n POV
The next morning, I wake up when the sun shines through the drapes, bouncing off of my face. I got out of bed slowly and quietly as to not wake Hailee who was sleeping peacefully next to me.

I get dressed in my usual attire for working on the farm, denim jean shorts,  a T-shirt and a flannel shirt on top since it's November and hence can be a bit chill at times, even in Georgia.

As usual, regardless of where I am or who I'm with, I'm the first to wake at around 6am. I expect Sam will be up in around half an hour with Kate following not long after.

As for Hailee, well who knows when she'll wake up. She told me recently that before being pregnant she would wake at an extremely early time in the morning to work out and then go back to bed, but the doctor advised not to do any heavy lifting or unnecessary strenuous exercise which meant she dropped it.

I started making pancakes for breakfast since Sam and Kate didn't have many groceries but did have the ingredients for them. By the time they were done, Sam, Kate and Dylan had joined me downstairs. I put Hailee's portion on a plate in the microwave for her to warm up once she awoke and wrote a little note to put on the bedside table so she'd know.

Writing the note made me reminisce about our first night together and the morning after, even though we didn't actually interact the next day. It made me think about how far we've come in 6 months, how much we've grown to trust each other, and how crazy the events that lead up to now were.

I'm not going to say that if I could go back and do it again, that I wouldn't change a thing because that's not true. I'd change a lot. I'd make sure that Joe never showed up, I'd make sure that Hailee's home never got broken into at the start of all this, and most of all, I'd have found Hailee long before I did and would have had an actual relationship with her rather than just having a baby, or rather two babies, straight away.

But I am glad that I'm here. I'm happy with how my life is turning out at the moment. I've got an amazing girl, two (no doubt) incredible babies on the way, and two loving families (for the most part anyway).

"You gonna help me with the chores today, Y/n?" Sam asked though I'm sure he already knew the answer.

"Of course." I agreed and we headed out to the animal pens.

We decided that we'd use the same system as we did when I was a teenager and I helped out on the farm. I'd collect the chicken eggs and clean out the poop, then feed them and the pigs. Sam would clean out the cows and sheep and feed them too.

While I was in the pigs pen, I saw Hailee come out the house and make her way towards me. She was dressed in a black t-shirt with a blue flannel on top, denim jeans and wellington boots. Her bump was more prominent with the t-shirt on but was nicely covered by the flannel shirt.

"Good morning." I called out to her as I stood up.

"Hey." She replied, her eyes running up and down my figure, lingering on my sweat soaked t-shirt. 

"My eyes are up here, Steinfeld." I teased. She shot me a playful glare in response. 

"I liked your note this morning." She admitted. "It reminded me of the morning I woke up in you apartment. The only thing missing from then was you, as was the today." She raised an eyebrow as to be intimidating, as if she were telling me off for something. 

"I wanted to help Uncle Sam with the jobs, like I did when I was a teenager." I defended myself. 

"Always an excuse." She joked, I laughed and shook my head in response. "Anyways," she moved on to a new subject. "I've been thinking about something." I nodded for her to continue.

"The thing is.." She seemed to struggle to put her thoughts into words. "We live together, we're pregnant together, we've kissed multiple times." She paused. "We have separate bedrooms in our home and yet we've slept in the same bed for more than 4 months."

"I don't understand? What's your point?" I asked confused.

"My point is that we do all these couple things, we act exactly like a couple but we aren't, not officially anyway. When you asked me on the plane, I was hoping you were going to ask me to be your girlfriend, officially. Then you said you didn't want to push it and I panicked thinking you weren't ready, that was why I said the 'your girl - my man' thing. It's been eating at me since." She admitted.

"Okay." I jumped over the fence to stand in front of her. "So, you wanted me to ask you then? Why didn't you say? I thought we agreed to be open and honest with each other?" I asked still some what confused and a little hurt, I though she'd have trusted me more. 

"I know. I'm sorry but I didn't want to make things weird or awkward, especially since I was about to meet your family. I was worried it would have been awkward considering our situation and I didn't want to make it worse." She told me.

"So, you want to be my girlfriend?" I asked.

"Yeah." She confessed shyly.

"Okay.." I was about to take her hands but then I realised that they were dirty and she wouldn't want that. She chuckled at my action of retracting my hands back, then taking my gloves off, taking her hands with my clean ones. "Hailee Steinfeld, my amazing baby momma and incredible.. I was going to say girlfriend and then realised what this whole thing was about." I laughed nervously and somewhat embarrassedly. "Will you be my girlfriend? Officially?" I finally got my words out.

"No." She said dead seriously making my face drop in despair. "I'm joking." She quickly followed it with. "I'd love to be your girlfriend." She said with a beaming smile.

"You're going to be the death of me, woman!" I said half-jokingly before she crashed her lips into mine in a meaningful kiss.