Chapter 29

Hailee POV
"How about I take you around town today?" Y/n offered as we ate breakfast. "Show you around." Since we'd been here, Y/n's southern accent had become much more prominent, you could hardly hear the slight Californian accent he usually had.

"Sure, that'd be nice," I kissed his cheek as I got up to take my bowl to the sink.

"I could take you to all my hook-up spots?" He wiggled his eyebrows. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Like I'm going to believe you had game? You seemed pretty desperate to sleep with me that night," I joked.

"You were only desperate enough to take me up on it," He shot back.

"Fair enough," I ended it as I sat next to him on the couch and rested my head on his shoulder. "Can I ask you something about that night?"

"Sure," He replied, curiosity dripped in his voice.

"Have you ever done that before?" I asked, slightly worried of the answer.

"What- Sex? Was I that bad? It had been a while bu-" I interrupted before he could ramble.

"No, not that, baby," I smiled and kissed his cheek at his cuteness. "I meant sleeping with someone you met at the club?" I clarified, my worry creeping in more.

"You mean a one night stand?" He asked, being more blunt about it than I was. I nodded my head in reply. "No." I looked up in surprise. 

It's not that I expected him be a player but part of me expected him to have had one night stands before. He didn't seem very unsure or nervous that night.

"What made you do it with me then?" I asked no longer worried but curious.

"I couldn't tell you. I have no idea. When I saw you dancing with your friends, I thought you were hot, sure. It was never in my mind to have you in my bed though. I broke all of my rules the second I took you home," He admitted.

Rules?

"What rules?" I asked, now intrigued.

"My dating rules," He answered as if it were normal to have 'dating rules'.

"Tell me some," I requested.

"Okay. Here's my biggest one. No phones on the first date. It can distract you and it's kind of rude to be honest." He was right and I liked that rule.

"What else?" I asked wanting to know more.

"At the end of the first date, always walk her to her front door, give her a kiss on the cheek and say goodnight. Never go in her house or invite her into yours on the first date. Another one is that you don't kiss her until at least the third date. Don't ask her to be your girlfriend until at least the fifth, which is also when it's acceptable to sleep together for the first time." Everything he said were what I'd missed out on. All the gentlemen stuff. 

Not that he's not a gentleman to me now. But all the feelings and little things that you have at the start of a relationship, we missed out on. We're at a stage that not any people get to within a year of dating, and we've been together for 6 months. 

"Hey, what's wrong? Talk to me." He wiped a tear I didn't realise had fallen. 

"We're doing this all wrong. We never did all those things. We conceived our kids before we knew each others names. We brought a house together a month later, before we were even official." I sniffled. "I'm never going to have that feeling again."

"Can I tell you something?" He asked and I nodded. "I don't think I've ever had what ever 'that' feeling is - not with anyone." 

"Really. The feeling when it's new and exciting and scary but you still crave it? You've never felt that?" I asked.

"No. I was always more worried of whether I was dressed well enough or if she would like me for who I am. My mind raced with ten thousand questions that it never had a second to listen to my heart." His confession made me feel bad for him. "Until you came along." 

"That's cliché." I laughed and sniffled. 

"True but let me explain. When I first met you- that night in the club- I thought you were the type of girl who was used to that kind of thing. The type that didn't care who someone was as long as they could fuck them," I looked up in shock and hurt. "Let me finish." He said quicky before I could argue. "I'd seen how all the other girls and guys practically dry humped each other on the dance floor- showing that they were those types of girls. But when I danced with you, you didn't do that. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the type of dance I'd like to do in front of my grandpa but it was clear that your goal wasn't sex- just to let loose and have fun. Just forget about the rest of the world for a while." I smiled up at him to show him he was right. 

I remember thinking that I should just have fun and relax since I couldn't leave as Madison had dragged me along in the first place.

"Then when you turned around and our eyes met- I don't know about you- but I saw something. It wasn't lust, I don't really know," He struggled to vocalize it.

"The relief of not finding some creep who wanted to use me- I think that look was." I laughed but it wasn't a joke. I remember when I turned around and fell into his ocean eyes. They weren't lust-filled and his breath didn't reek of beer like any other guy's would have. He's different from everyone else, he has been from the start.

"Yeah, maybe it was. Whatever it was, it pulled me in. I realised from how gently you'd kissed me, that you were like me. You didn't intend this but you sure as hell weren't going to stop it." We both lightly chuckled. He took one of my hands and kissed the back of it. "You're right, there's a lot we did miss." A frown reappeared on my face. "But we gained a hell of a lot more. I don't know about you but I don't regret anything. Nor would I change a damn thing." Sincerity I could see in his eyes was slightly overwhelming.

"What about Joe?" I asked, to which he laughed.

"As much as that was hard work and in no way fun, it made us stronger. So, I'd keep it." I leant in and kissed him passionately. "I'm so crazy about you, Steinfeld."

"I'm crazy about you too, baby." I matched his tone as I cuddled into his side. I felt safe and comforted as he wrapped his arms around me and rested his hands on my stomach, rubbing softly. It was a perfect start to what I hoped would be a great day.

Everything seems to be going well.. lets see how long that lasts!