Chapter 34

Hailee POV
We waited. For 3 hours. Nothing. No radio calls, no phone calls, nobody came back, no news. Nothing. 

Ryan had spent the last half an hour trying to convince Captain Briggs to go down there, but he wouldn't budge. Eventually, Dylan (who had showed up around two hours ago when he got off work and saw Ryan's message) had to pull Ryan away before Briggs flipped his lid.

Leah had come to sit with me to take my mind off of it. We had been talking about baby stuff for over an hour now. I think we'd brought up the same thing multiple times and were going round in circles but as long as our minds were slightly off Y/n and Grace being out there, we were satisfied for that moment.

Another forty five minutes passed before Briggs finally got a phone call. The entire bullpen was silent while he was on the phone. All we heard from him was the occasional "Yes," and then a "Thank you," to end the call.

"Detective Newman has been taken to the hospital with a GSW. L/n will be there too." Briggs didn't even finish his first sentence before everyone started moving. He was right, if Grace was there, Y/n would be. Hopefully not hurt but he would be there for her regardless. 

We all crammed ourselves into two cars and raced towards the hospital, still obeying the road laws though. We all stood in the waiting area while Briggs spoke to the receptionist. It felt like hours, just standing there, knowing that he was somewhere close by but still not in my reach or sight. 

"He's in her room." That was all Brigg said before leading us all through the hospital and towards where I assumed Grace was. Briggs went through the door, followed by Alex, then Ryan and I, Leah trailing behind us.

My heart began to beat at an erratic pace when I saw him sat on a chair next to her bed. He was perfectly fine. No harm caused, that I could see anyway. When he looked up and met my eyes, I felt the tears begin to fall again.

"Oh, babe. Don't cry." He held me tight in his arms. "I'm okay, everything's fine." He kissed my forehead softly in comfort and ran a hand up and down my back.

"Don't ever do that again." I scolded as I pushed him away slightly. "I can't ever loose you! You hear me! Never!" The tears were coming in full force again. "I thought I would loose you." I whispered into him. 

"You won't ever loose me. I'm yours and your mine, mi corazón. Always." 

--

Y/n POV
Grace healed fairly quickly. The bullet luckily passed straight through her shoulder but obviously still needed to be tended too. Fortunately, neither of us were mentally effected very much. We'd been in shoot-outs before so it was nothing new.

Hailee birthday had passed, along with Christmas and New Years meaning, Hailee's due date was swiftly approaching. The nursery was now fully ready. She'd had a baby shower and we were right- many people got the babies clothes. We had chosen names for our two nuggets and were just waiting for them to arrive.

"I'm so sick of this!" Hailee groaned as she plonked herself down on the couch. "Look at me! Look at my damn feet! I can't even see them over this giant fat stomach but I know they're to size of footballs! Why did you do this to me?" She shot daggers at me. I swallowed and thought what the best reply was.

When Sarah asked that, I said, "because you asked me too," which technically she did. But Hailee never asked to have my babies, and so I couldn't use that reply. Any snarky reply would just result in an even more pissed off Hailee, so that wasn't happening. There was only one more option. I had to suck up. I had to suck like I've never sucked before. 

"Do you want a foot rub, mi corazón?" I'd do whatever the heck she'd ask of me and call her ever term of endearment I knew she liked so she wouldn't get more pissed off. 

"No. I want these damn kickers out of me." She huffed. In the last week or so they'd been very active. You could see the bump moving even through a hoodie. 

"How about we get Chipotle for dinner? Spicy food is supposed to help?" I offered still trying my best to not stir the beast.

I can't tell whether the reaction was good or bad. She started crying and blabbering about how she didn't deserve me and I was too nice to her. I suppose it was much better than her biting my head off.

We did end up getting Chipotle for dinner but it didn't seem to have much of an effect. After dinner we took a long walk since that's also supposed to help but it still didn't. It might be because they were not due for another 2 days but who knows.

The next day passed just the same as the pervious. We tried more things to help induce labour yet nothing seemed to be happening. Hailee kept groaning about being bored of being pregnant and missing her feet. 

Nothing had changed until in the middle of the night, I was shaken awake by Hailee. 

"It's time." Was all she needed to say to make me dart out of bed. I got her some sweatpants to put on as hers were now soaked and got myself dressed. I grabbed the bag and pillow we had prepared by the door for when this would happen and then helped Hailee into the car.

We had plenty of time since in the time it took me to do all that, Hailee had only one contraction and so I was comfortable driving at the speed limit, not needing to hurry and cross it. 

When we got to the hospital, they quickly got us in a private room and hooked Hailee up to the monitors and measured her. "3 centimeters. It looks like it's going to be a while." Dr Blackwood notified us before leaving us be. 

This was it. Time to have some babies.

One more chapter, folks!