Chapter 23

Hailee POV

I had gone about my day as planned and expected to find Y/n home when I got back but he wasn't. The dirty dishes hadn't been cleaned which was a dead give away that he hadn't been home at any point, he hates to leave dirty dishes on the counter.

I called him a few times but he didn't answer; my worry started to grow, these hormones weren't helping.

Y/n POV
"Family of Dylan L/n?" A doctor called as she came into the waiting room.

"That's me. I'm their brother. Is everything okay?" I asked in a panicked tone. 

"Mr L/n your brother has given themselves extensive alcohol poisoning. They flatlined due to low blood sugar levels. We've got them set up in a room for now. They had a tube down their windpipe to ensure there will be no blockage and they can breathe. I want to run a few tests once they're awake and well enough for it. It may be the case that they have to get a new liver due to the damage they've caused to their own but I don't want to do many tests now and stress their body." I took a second to process the information. My brother nearly killed them-self and I have no idea why.

"Thank you doc." I nodded at her.

"Just doing my job, sir. They're in room 217, if you want to see them. I'll come back in a few hours to for a check-up." She walked away leaving me to find my own way through the hospital. 

Seeing people in Dylan's condition isn't abnormal to me as a cop, but it's completely different when it's someone who means something to you. I knew the tube going down his throat was to help him, as were the other wires that were hooked up to him but they looked painful and uncomfortable. 

The room resembled the mood perfectly. Basic grey walls, lights that were too bright in some places and too dim in others, fake plastic plants with marks and chips taken out of the pots. It resembled the small feeling of hope that everything would be okay along with the reality of the situation where everything wasn't okay.

I sat on the sofa that was across from his bed, thinking about how my day had an unexpected, potentially life changing, event. I woke up this morning with a message from my Uncle Sam asking to visit, laying next to Hailee felling happier than I had in a long time, planning on spending my day with Hailee watching trashy TV and getting whatever weird craving she wanted. 

Oh shit! Hailee! I hadn't spoken to Hailee since I left this morning and I told her I'd be back in a few hours. Who even knows what time it was now. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and noticed it was now about 6pm and also saw multiple missed call from her. I figured she would be worrying by now since I left around 11am and told Hailee I'd be back in a few hours and now its been over 7 hours. 

"Y/n?" Hailee's worried voice sounded through the phone as soon as she answered. "where are you? Are you okay?"

"Calm down, Lee." I gave her a second to steady her breathing before I kept talking. "It's a lot to explain but he short story is that I went to Dylan's like planned and they were passed out in the bathroom. They were drinking which is something that they rarely do anyway and they drank themselves over the edge. I'm in the hospital with them now, they're still unconscious." I explained.

"Wow, that's... a lot." She breathed out.

"Yeah, it is." I agreed.

"Do you want me to come?" She offered.

"Nah, it's okay. They're fine now but the hospital wants to keep them overnight for monitoring. I'm going to wait until they wake up before I come home." I told her.

"Are you sure? I don't mind if you want to stay or if you want me to come there." She offered again.

"Yeah, I'm certain. I'll pick up some food on the way home, what do you want?" I asked moving the conversation onto more normal topics.

"Don't dismiss this, Y/n. Are you okay?" She asked. "I mean, what happened today can't have been easy to see."

"Yeah, it was... I don't know really. If there was anyone who I'd think I'd ever see like that it wouldn't be Dylan. It terrified me, honestly. There had to be a reason that he drank in the first place and to drink to this extent must have been extreme. I'm going to find out what made them do this and I swear that if someone's responsible for this, I... well, I don't know what I'm going to do but I'll do something." I admitted.

"Don't make any irrational decisions. Once they're awake, talk to them. Don't get angry, and remember to listen to them, you can help them but not when you're being irrational. And as far as dinner goes, In N' Out please." She requested.

"Normal order?" I checked and she confirmed. "Tell me about your day." We spoke for about half an hour more until Dylan woke up. 

"What happened?" Dylan asked groggily.

"You almost drank yourself to death, that's what." I snapped. "You gave yourself extensive alcohol poisoning. What made you do it? Do you realise how much you scared me?" I slapped their arm lightly. 

"I'm sorry." They looked down in shame, making me feel guilty for snapping at them. 

"Come here." I pulled him in for a hug. "You scared me so much, man." I whispered to them as I blinked the tears from my eyes. "Please talk to me, tell me why you did this and talk to me in the future, if you ever feel this way again." 

"I don't want to walk about it." They mumbled.

"Okay, I won't force you. Just remember I'm always here if you ever need to talk about anything." I reassured him.

50K reads??!! Absolutely bloody crazy!