Billy Hargrove X Reader - Mother (Part 2)

A/N - This chapter follows on from another Billy chapter. This one was inspired by the song Precious Love by James Morrison. I hope you all enjoy it.

"Jesus Billy, if you don't take a breath soon I think you're going to pass out," you teased, sitting in your usual spot in the passenger seat of his car. You had been good on your word. The moment that you had graduated High School, you had told your mother that you were dating someone and asked whether you could invite him to the house for dinner. And, at first, Billy had been delighted. He'd wanted to show you off in public for months, but with the fear of being caught lingering over the two of you, you'd had to keep the relationship under covers. Then, about a week ago, it was as if he had suddenly remembered that your mother was well aware of his reputation and the nerves had set in thick and fast.

Now, he was sitting beside you in a shirt and tie and slacks, clothing that you hadn't even realised he had owned before he'd pulled up in his car and you hopped in beside him.

"She's going to hate me," he uttered, pulling at the collar of his shirt and taking a deep breath.

"She's not going to-"

"You said she told you to stay away from me. She's going to hate me," he interrupted.

You let out a soft sigh. "She'll be wary at first, sure, but once she gets to know you, she'll realise that you aren't the person that her friends made you out to be, okay?" You paused for a moment, putting a hand on his knee and leaning a little closer to him. "She's one of the most welcoming people I know. She's not going to kick you out or anything. Just be yourself and by the end of dinner, you'll charm your way into her heart."

He nodded, leaning forward to press a gentle kiss to your lips. "I love you, Buttercup," he murmured, watching as a small smile pulled at your lips.

"Yeah, I love you too, which is why we're here, right?" You tilted your head to the side. "I love you and I want you to be a part of my life. A part of every part of my life."

He brushed some of your hair back out of your face, taking another deep breath to steady his nerves. "Okay," he murmured, unclicking his seatbelt and opening his car door. "We should go in. I don't want to be late," he added, moving around the car quickly to open the door for you.

You linked your arm through the crook of his elbow as you led him down the street towards your house. "Just remember. Dad loves basketball, so you guys will have tons to talk about. And Mom loves her garden and her interior design, so just compliment the house and she'll talk your ear off. You won't even have to say anything else." You paused when you reached the door, turning to him and straightening his tie. "You've got this," you added softly, pressing a quick peck to his lips before opening the door and walking inside, taking his hand in yours for a little added comfort.

"Y/N, is that you, Sweetheart?" your mother called out from the kitchen, coming through the door and into the foyer with a bright smile until her eyes landed on Billy. "I thought you were bringing your new boyfriend home," she started again, her eyes darting between the two of you.

"Mom, this is Billy," you hummed, his grip on your hand tightening when she let out a loud scoff.

She was shaking her head, looking more frustrated than you had ever seen her before. "I thought I told you to stay away from him," she bit out. "I remember distinctly telling you that he was bad news-"

"That's not fair, you don't know him-"

"I know more than enough," she interrupted you, finally fixing you with a sharp glare. "I know that he is going to be a terrible influence on you. He's going to get you in trouble."

Billy tensed slightly, pulling his hand out of your grip. "Buttercup, I think I should go home. Let you two talk this out-"

"Good idea," your mother interrupted. "Go home and don't come anywhere near my daughter again. She is a good girl, and she deserves far better than you."

"Mother," you yelped. "If he leaves, I'm going with him," you pressed on, letting out a shaking breath, your eyes lined with tears.

"Buttercup-" Billy started softly, his hand running up your back in an attempt to calm you.

"No," you yelped again, turning your attention to your mother. "I love him, okay? I never would have brought him here if I didn't think we were going to stay together. You don't get to run him off without giving him a chance."

Your mother hesitated for a moment before letting out a soft sigh, turning on her heel and marching into the kitchen, leaving the two of you behind.

"Can we get out of here for awhile?" you murmured, letting Billy draw you into a tight hug.

"Sure," he hummed into your hair, pressing a kiss to your forehead. "Just give me a second, okay?"

The look of confusion that danced across your features was enough to make Billy forget all of the horrible things that had been said to him that evening, pushing them out of his mind as he leant down to press a quick kiss to your lips.

"I'll be one second," he repeated, untangling himself from you and walking towards the kitchen door, leaving you a little lost in the foyer of your own home. "Mrs Y/L/N?"

Your mother looked horrified when she looked up to find Billy standing in her kitchen, looking like a frightened child ready to confess to some sort of misdoing.

"I just wanted to say thank you-"

"Thank you?" she interrupted, looking uncertain as she hovered in front of the stove.

"Yeah." He hesitated for a moment. "You helped Y/N to become the woman I fell in love with. And she has made me a far better man, just by being her, so I wanted to thank you." He paused, shuffling on the spot. "I know you don't like me, but I love your daughter and I would never hurt her. I would give anything to make her happy. And she's never going to be happy if we can't get along because she thinks the world of you."

She nodded slightly, blinking away tears. "Stay for dinner. Both of you."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x