Eddie Munson X Reader - Like I Can

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Like I Can by Sam Smith. This is set during Eddie and Reader's first senior year. I hope you all enjoy it. (Sidenote: I mention a toy called a Boglin in this chapter, and if you've never seen one, please look it up. They're incredible. The 80s were a wild time.)

"I can't believe you don't want to go to prom," you murmured, lounging across your bed whilst Eddie busied himself at your dresser, nosing around the different products that were littering the surface.

"What is this even for?" he hummed, lifting up one of the bottles and scrutinising the label.

You groaned, sitting up to look at him. "That's body lotions. It keeps your skin soft," you uttered, letting out a soft sigh. "And you're avoiding talking to me which is a really shitty thing for a friend to do."

He glanced over his shoulder at you, settling the bottle down in the middle of the dresser. "I'm not avoiding anything."

"Then why don't you want to go to prom?"

"I think the real question is why do you want to go to prom? It'll be boring."

You were frowning at him, watching as he leant precariously against the edge of the dresser. "It can't be that boring. I'll be there."

"Yeah, and that'll be the only redeeming feature of the whole night," he agreed. "I'm not going."

You bit down on the inside of your cheek. You'd always had a sneaking suspicion that Eddie had been harbouring a bit of a crush on you; the same sort of crush that you'd definitely had on him since you'd first met. But here you were, basically begging him to ask you to prom and he was avoiding it like he thought you'd give him the plague. 

"Fine," you breathed out. "Someone already asked me to be their date anyway," you added softly, flumping back onto the mattress.

"Who?"

"What do you care? You're not going."

His brow furrowed as he slumped down beside you, watching you carefully as you stared up at the ceiling. "Who is he?"

You sighed, turning your head to make eye contact. "Pete; he's on the basketball team-"

"You're kidding, right? Pete Lindon? You're going to prom with that idiot?"

"Hey," you bit out. "Don't say that."

Eddie raised his eyebrows at you. "His entire personality is that he plays basketball. He's the most boring guy alive."

"Yeah, well he asked me out. And I plan on saying yes, so you're just going to have to get over it, aren't you?"

"You're going to be bored out of your mind-"

You sat up suddenly, watching as Eddie flinched backwards, careening off the side of the bed and onto the floor. "Quit it. If you were so worried about me being bored you wouldn't be ditching me."

You were glaring at him so passionately that Eddie almost didn't recognise you. Sure, you guys bickered from time to time, but you didn't tend to be so reactive. You tended to laugh things off. Hell, he didn't think you'd ever actually been mad at him before. 

"I'm sorry," he murmured, pushing himself up to his feet. "I should head out. Jeff's hosting band practice tonight and he lives on the other side of town-"

Your expression softened slightly. "I'll see you later," you uttered, watching as he hesitated by your window. 

"I'm sorry I was being a dick about Pete," he finally told you, his lips twitching up into a half-hearted smile. "I barely know the guy-"