Eddie Munson X Reader - Beat It

A/N - This chapter was sort of inspired by the Fall Out Boy version of Beat It. I basically just saw someone (I can't remember who 😬 oops) post something on Tik Tok about how Eddie isn't really a fighter, but if he even saw a hint of sadness in his S/O's eyes, he'd go to war for them, and I couldn't get this idea out of my head. This is set during Eddie's second senior year and Reader's first. I hope you all enjoy it.

You weren't exactly sure how you'd managed it, but Eddie was at prom. Sure, it had taken him resitting his senior year to actually get him here, but he was here and to you that was all that really mattered. He'd even found one of Wayne's old suits to wear, even if it was a little big across his shoulders. 

He'd shown up at your house with flowers, a little earlier than he had planned, to avoid any chance of him being late. And when he'd seen you at the top of the stairs, looking pretty as all Hell, he'd been speechless. Shit, he always thought you were the most attractive person he had ever seen, but right now, you were totally flawless, and he was pretty sure that if your mom wasn't standing in the hallway with the two of you, he would've ended up making a couple of inappropriate comments about just how hot you were. 

"It fits," you called out, looking so Goddamn excited as you hurried down the stairs, eyeing up the suit. "Told you it would," you added, brushing some lint off of his lapel with a bright grin. "Doesn't he look handsome, Mom?" you pressed on, glancing at her over your shoulder, only to be met with the startling flash of the Polaroid going off. 

Eddie seemed to suddenly realise where he was again, blinking away the fuzzy little ball of light that lingered in his vision from the flash. "At least let us pose," he teased, smiling for your Mom and manoeuvring you into one of the cheesy positions you'd seen the other kids practising at school. His hands lingered on your hips, your back pressed to his chest. He grinned for the camera, drawing a snort of laughter out of you as the picture was taken. 

"Oh, Sweetheart, you closed your eyes," your mom chastised as the picture printed. She held it out to you, looking a little frustrated at the waste of a picture. 

Eddie quickly grabbed it before you could, eyes drifting over the two of you. "I like it," he hummed. "Look at how your nose wrinkles up when you laugh," he added, lowering it for you to look at. 

"Gross," you grumbled, attempting to snatch it back only for him to lift it out of your reach. 

"Can I keep this one?" he pressed on, addressing your mom over your head. 

"Of course, you can, Honey."

*Time Skip*

The gym had been decorated a little too enthusiastically for your tastes. Streamers and balloons and bright shimmering lights covered each and every reachable surface, and truthfully it was a little overwhelming. Not to mention, the looks you'd been receiving from the moment you'd walked through the door. It was no secret that Eddie wasn't the most popular person in school, but now, it seemed like he was intruding on something private. They were staring like he was some alien creature that had shown up unannounced to study them when they were least expecting it. 

You tightened your grip on Eddie's hand, leading him over to the drinks table, your eyes roaming over the soda selection. "Grape or orange?"

Eddie hummed, leaning a little closer to hear you over the music. "Sorry, Baby, I didn't hear you."

"Grape or orange?" you repeated, gesturing to the cups.

He quickly picked up one of the cups without answering, his attention clearly focused elsewhere. "So, what do we do?" he finally murmured, watching as your smile grew. It was clear that this was out of his comfort zone and it meant the world that he was willing to come with you anyway.