Billy Hargrove X Soulmate!Reader - Higher Love

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Higher Love by Kygo and Whitney Houston, which I've just been listening to on repeat recently. It is set in an AU where your soulmate's first words are etched on your skin on your 16th birthday. I hope you all enjoy it.

"That's a real pretty suit," a voice uttered, sending your mind reeling as you blinked your eyes open to look up at the man towering over you, throwing a shadow across you. 

"No," you bit out, jaw tense as you shook your head. "Nope," you repeated softly when his brow furrowed. "It's not you; that's bullshit." Billy looked a little startled at your outburst, watching you scramble up off of your sunlounger to stand opposite him. "Who told you what my words were, huh?" you pressed on. "Do you think this is funny? Messing with people like this?"

"I don't understand-"

Your jaw tensed as you shook your head, holding your forearm out in his direction, showing off the pretty cursive text painting your skin. "How'd you know?"

He blinked in confusion, seeing his own words on your skin. "I didn't," he muttered. "I just recognised you from school; thought maybe a little flirting wouldn't do anyone any harm-" his words trailed off. His hand lifted, brushing over his chest, right over his heart, where he had one word etched. No. It stood out against his skin, drawing attention from a few of the moms who came to the pool to check him out whilst he worked, but now that he knew it was yours, he hated the fact that they'd ever seen it at all. 

"Was it Tommy? He's had it out for me ever since I turned him down in 7th grade-"

"Nobody put me up to it. I didn't know your words until you showed me them," he interrupted. "I promise."

It was then that you looked at him properly, seeing the pink tinge to his cheeks and his flustered expression. He was clueless. Completely and utterly clueless. He hadn't known, which meant that this was real. "Shit," you breathed out. 

"What'd you do wrong to get stuck with me, huh?" he hummed, offering up a small, hesitant smile. "I mean, come on, a nice girl like you? Always expected you to end up with someone more like Harrington-"

"Everyone knows that Nancy and Steve are soulmates. They were dating before the words even showed up," you murmured, shuffling awkwardly on the spot. "You aren't going to be one of those guys who keeps sleeping around after finding their soulmate, right? Because if you are, there's no point even talking about this," you pressed on. "I'd rather die sad and alone than end up in a relationship like that."

Billy looked a little taken back by your comment, brow furrowing. He'd never had to consider the future before. Never had to think about committing to one woman for the rest of his life. But now, here you were talking about long-term commitments, and somehow, it wasn't terrifying. Because, if the world thought you were perfect for him, then why would it ever be wrong? 

"I'm not going to sleep around," he confirmed, voice soft. "I wouldn't do that to you." 

You nodded. "Good."

"So, what happens now?" he uttered. "Are you my girlfriend, or-"

"Slow down," you chuckled, and suddenly Billy was transfixed. I mean, you'd been pretty when you looked mad, but now, seeing a smile aimed at him, it was enough to bring him to his knees. "I don't know how people do it in California, but around these parts, people go on dates before they make it official," you teased. 

He held up his hands in surrender. "So, you're going to let me take you out?" 

You bit down on the inside of your cheek. "Yeah, I guess I am."