Billy Hargrove X Reader - Working Bitch

A/N - This chapter started out being inspired by the song Working Bitch by Ashnikko, but sort of went off the rails somewhere along the way. This is set way after the series when Reader and Billy are in their late 20s/early 30s. I hope you all enjoy it.

You'd worked your ass off to save up the money to turn a shitty run-down shopfront on Main street into a cafe. Years and years of saving up every last penny and pouring it into a business that you loved. So when you had finally opened The Perfect Blend, you had been more than content to make ends meet. You'd lined the walls with bookshelves, creating a little library out of books you'd gathered over the years, from yard sales and thrift stores, and filled the entire place with comfy sitting spaces. At first, you'd only expected a few customers, but as the weeks flooded past, so did the positive reviews and soon enough, you had a bustling little business going. 

You would open at 6 am and work through until you closed at 5 pm, and your customers were more than happy to hand over their money to experience the little haven you had created for them. Good coffee. Delicious baked goods. Calming decor. You often saw the same people day in and day out, gaining a really sweet customer base who would sit and chat with you whenever you got the chance to stop. It was everything you had hoped for and more. 

And then, one day, you'd gained a new customer. You'd recognised Billy from school. He'd been a year above you and you'd practically detested him without ever having spoken to him. He was arrogant and you weren't willing to tolerate it. But now, here he was, asking for a Flat White and sending you a sweet smile as if you hadn't spent 2 years of your High School experience absolutely hating his guts. 

"Is this place new?" he hummed, handing over his money to you with a soft smile. 

"Yep."

"Thought so," he pressed on, clearly unaware of your reluctance to make polite conversation. His eyes narrowed slightly, his head tilting to the side as he looked at you. "Did you go to Hawkins High?"

You hesitated for a moment. It would be way easier to lie and pretend you had moved to town after graduation. It would definitely get you out of the conversation quicker. But, part of you felt guilty. For all you knew, Billy could be a totally different guy now. Hell, you'd definitely grown up a lot after High School.

"Yeah," you finally murmured. "Graduated in 86," you added. 

"Shit, you were on the cheer squad too, weren't you?"

Your brow furrowed slightly. "Nope," you uttered. "I was a total book nerd," you added, gesturing to the wall of books behind him. "Pretty sure you're thinking of a different girl."

"No, I definitely remember you," he pressed on, leaning his elbows on the counter as you made his drink. "You weren't that kid that got hooked on pills and freaked out during finals, right?" You shot him a rather sharp glare, making him hold up his hands in surrender. "I'll take that as a 'no'," he chuckled. And then his eyes widened, fixed on your angry expression. "Shit, you were the girl that ripped into me when I was a senior, weren't you?"

"I didn't rip into you," you breathed out, shaking your head slightly as you finished up his drink.

"Yeah, you did. Called me a pretentious asshole with anger issues and a car that was clearly compensating for something I was lacking," he hummed, letting out a soft snort of laughter. "I mean, you were half right, I guess. "I was a total asshole. And I did have some godawful anger issues." He chuckled again, taking in the frown on your lips. "It's fine. I'm not exactly the grudge type-"

"Here's your coffee," you interrupted, placing the takeaway cup down on the tray in front of him. "Have a lovely day," you added, sweeping off to the other side of the counter to pretend to wipe down a mess that didn't actually exist.