Billy Hargrove X Reader - Hi, It's Me

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Hi, It's Me by Ashnikko. Also, I've added some Bestie!Robin in here, and I kind of love it. I hope you all enjoy it. 

You'd been cautious to slip out of Billy's bed without waking him, tiptoeing to the bathroom in the hopes that you could make yourself presentable and get out of the house before anyone else could wake up. 

It was stupid really. You'd broken up with Billy months ago. There was no good reason for you to still be sleeping with him semi-regularly. But it was like every single time you saw him your mind completely malfunctioned. He would be standing there looking all pretty and smiling at you like you were the only girl in the world and you would immediately forget the days you'd spent crying over how shitty he had been at being a boyfriend in the first place. And every single time, you would tell yourself that you wouldn't let it happen again.

Here you were though, in the same position you had been last week and the week before that, resenting yourself for falling for it again. 

You quickly scrubbed the smudged mascara out from under your eyes, giving yourself a once over in the mirror and seeing the deep frown on your own lips. You would never understand it. It's not like Billy had ever really made you happy. God, if anything, he'd spent your entire relationship making you insecure and miserable. And he was still doing it, even though you weren't even his anymore. 

With a deep sigh, you hurried back into his bedroom, redressing in your work shorts and one of his old shirts. You couldn't fathom walking home in your full work uniform. Anyone who saw you would know that you were doing the infamous walk of shame in your misshapen black polo with the company logo stamped on the breast pocket. 

Billy grumbled softly in his sleep as you shoved the top into your backpack, working as fast as you possibly could in the hopes that you could get out without having to speak to him. It was never a pleasant experience, having to listen to him talk about how he could possibly drive you home because he was far too busy, when you knew full well he would spend the entire day in bed after you were gone. 

You made it out of the house without interacting with any of the family this time, luckily enough. And you'd known before you'd even left exactly where you would be heading. It was always the same. You'd slip up and go home with him, and then the next morning you would show up at Robin's house and she would lecture for how stupid you'd been whilst you lingered in your own little pity party. 

Robin opened the door before you'd even knocked, her eyebrows raising in question, waiting for you to confess. It was routine at this point. You never turned up unannounced unless you were feeling sorry for yourself and almost as if she could sense it, she would be waiting for you. 

"Again?"

You nodded, biting down on your bottom lip to stop it from quivering. 

"Jesus, Y/N, you're better than this-"

"I'm sorry," you murmured, tears forming on your waterline as you let he pull you into the house. 

She sighed softly as you sniffled back tears, ushering you further into the house and into the safety of her bedroom. "Look, I know you don't want to hear it right now, because you already know it, but you're a dumbass."

A choked bubble of laughter slipped out of you at her comment. She was right; you did already know it. You'd been telling yourself as much ever since you'd let yourself fall into Billy's little web of lies and tricks. 

"He's just not worth it," she pressed on, frowning slightly as she glanced down at what you were wearing, her eyes going so wide that it would border on funny if she wasn't then fixing you with a gentle glare. "Are you wearing his shirt?"

"I only had my work stuff-"

"Take it off," she bit out, immediately heading over to her draws and pulling out a ratty old t-shirt. She threw it at your face. "And God, burn it, or get rid of it, or something. Just don't wear it ever again."

You nodded slightly. "He doesn't even know I have it-"

"Even better. You won't have to see him to give it back." She shook her head. "You need to stop this," she pressed on. "He's hurt you enough already and I don't like watching you hate yourself every week because he's such an asshole."

"I'm not going to do it again-" you murmured, pulling the t-shirt over your head and handing it over to her as you swapped it for the new spare.

Robin grabbed your arm, dragging you over to her mirror. "I read about this thing in a magazine some girls left in Scoops last week," he started, making you stand next to her in front of your reflection. "Look yourself in the eye and you tell yourself that you aren't going to go home with him again."

"I-" your words trailed off. "Robin, this is ridiculous."

"Repeat after me: I'm over it and I'm not going to sleep with Billy Hargrove again," she pressed on. 

You swallowed the lump in your throat. "I'm over it. I'm not going to sleep with him again." You could help but notice how pathetic your reflection looked. Tired and lost and a little broken. And it was all Billy's doing. You'd been happy before him, you were sure of it.

A small smile pulled at Robin's lips as she nudged you with her shoulder. "See, easy as that," she told you softly. "You're single. You can bury the old you that suffered through that shitty relationship and be yourself again," she murmured, smiling properly when your eyes met hers in the reflection. 

"She's dead and gone," you agreed, letting a small smile pull at your lips, linking your fingers through hers and giving them a gentle squeeze.

*Time Skip*

You'd been scrubbing one of the tables when you'd heard Billy's car pull up outside of the diner and your stomach had turned at the idea of having to see him. 

As the door swung open, you kept your head down, your focus on the sticky syrup mark on the table top. 

"We're closed," you called out, unwilling to make eye contact. 

"Can't you make an exception this once, Princess?"

You swallowed the lump forming in your throat, standing up fully to look in his direction. "We're closed," you repeated, watching as his brow furrowed slightly, his smile faltering for just a second.

"Not in the mood for teasing, huh Baby?" he murmured, taking a step in your direction only to pause when you moved around the table, keeping your distance from him as best you could. 

"I'm not doing this anymore," you breathed out. "It's over; I'm over it," you pressed on, biting down on the inside of your cheek to stop yourself from bursting into overwhelmed tears. 

He scoffed slightly. "What?"

Your tongue darted out to wet your bottom lip, building up as much confidence as you could manage. "I'm done. You aren't worth it." 

You watched as he ran his tongue over his teeth, clearly trying to calm himself down. He wasn't used to being told no, especially not by you. Part of him had always assumed that eventually he would wear you down enough that you would end up getting back together, but now here you were, telling him that it wasn't going to happen. "I don't understand."

"I'm not going to sleep with you again. Please, just do the decent thing and stay away," you murmured.

"Right," he breathed out, nodding. "Fine," he bit out, letting out a humourless chuckle. He was storming out a moment later, the door slamming shut behind him.

*Time Skip*

You'd shown up at Robin's house that night in your own clothes, a grin on your lips as she met you at the door.

"I'm over it," you told her softly. "He came to see me at work and I told him no."

You were certain you'd never seen her look so giddy in your life, a bright smile painting her features as she jumped at you, tugging you into a tight hug. "Maybe you aren't such a dumbass after all," she teased.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x