and then there was darkness::7

Sitting in front of my closet, I stare at the masses of clothing spilling from within it.

"Gawwwwwd! What am I going to wear?!" I groan at myself. I pick a blue bikini top off of the floor and sling it into the closet. "Get with it, Lauren!"

Climbing to my feet, I snatch the closest thing to me; a black and gold bikini bottom with the word 'Volcom' written across the back. It'll have to do...

I toss the towel wrapped around me onto my desk chair and pull the bikini bottoms on, searching frantically through the piles of clothing to find the top, tying it to my torso.

It's still very much summer weather outside and I pull my braided hair over my shoulder.

"Lauren!" Mom calls up the stairs, "Someone's here for you! I'm sending her up!"

I gasp and snatch up the light chiffon purple bathing suit dress that lies at my feet, tossing it on quickly.

My door swings wide and there stands the blonde from the cafe. "Hey, oh that's cute!" She says with a smile as she looks over my outfit. She stands wearing a blue bikini top and a yellow sarong tied around her narrow hips. "Shoes?"

I nod and turn to slip my feet into a pair of black thongs. "Okay, let's run amok!"

She giggles and I laugh at the surprisingly angelic sound. "Caitlin is going to LOVE you! I can't wait!"

My eyes almost bulge from my head numerous times as Amy leads me through the huge house that hosts the party. "Caitlin's dad is a Judge of the court. He rakes in the cash..." She mumbles absent-mindedly.

As we burst through the French doors onto the stone floored back patio that's at least fifteen metres long, another gasp leaves my mouth. "This is incredible..."

"Hey, look, there's Jason!" Amy brings me to a stop before the pools edge, pointing to him. My eyes bore into his muscled back, facing me. The setting sun on his tanned skin is Godly. "Are you going to talk to him?" Amy questions as her voice becomes a whisper.

I shrug, "not if I can help it."

She gasps, "I thought you came here to talk to him?"

I laugh bitterly, "I came to make him mad."

Any seems insulted, "if he gets mad at you, Lauren, the chances of him getting mad at me are high, too. You know, because I brought you here..."

I roll my eyes, "you don't have to hang around me. I'll say I brought myself..." Before she can answer, I find the cutest looking guy near me and head over to him.

"Hi!" I say loudly, "I'm Lauren."

He turns his big brown eyes to me and smiles a flawless smile. "Hey Lauren, I'm James. What's happening, girl?"

I place a hand on his forearm, the muscles beneath my hand constricting inside the black tee he wears. "Not a lot, to be honest. I'm just looking for a good time, think you can help me out?"

His big eyes widen and his smirk falters. "Yo, Brian, get her a drink, will you?!" He calls to a blonde guy behind us who stands by a small fire pit.

The guy named Brian wastes no time and I suspect that's code for 'I'm getting in, dude!' He hands me a bottle of Budweiser, not a favourite of mine, but I take it anyway. Unscrewing the top, I don't take my eyes from James as I scull down the neck of the bottle.

His big eyes glitter with excitement as he places a big gentle hand on my waist, grinning. "What kind of fun are you looking for, Lauren?" He whispers, leaning in close.