and then there was darkness::16

A big thanks to all of my readers and the recent voters; you've really given me motivation to write another chapter!

:)

-------------------------

"Lauren? Wake up, love," Moms soft voice calls as she shakes my shoulder.

I startle, feeling the cold and empty hospital bed. "Mom?" I say groggily, raising a hand to my eyes as I feel with the other hand for that familiar warmth, "Where is Jason?" My voice sounds strangled as I can't find him.

"He had to go home, darling." Mom says softly and a hand grasps my own. "He thought he'd be back before Dr Melton came on his rounds, but unfortunately he had something important to do quickly."

I feel a little disappointed. I had thought he really wouldn't leave me alone...

I idly wonder how long I was alone before another set of hands grabs my shoulders, forcing Moms hand off of mine.

"Oh, Lauren, my girl!" Dads worried voice says into my hair. "Oh, love, I'm so sorry! I came as fast as I could!"

"Dad? Where did you go?" I whisper as I embrace him. His absence had really been bugging me lately. I hadn't even really gotten an explanation...

"I was at your Grandmothers old house, love... Your mother and I, we needed some space..." Dad tries to explain.

I just hug him tighter and shake my head, "don't worry, daddy... I get it." But to be honest, I dont. I just don't want to talk about it while I can't gauge the reactions and read Moms face...

"Lauren, how are you going?" Dr Meltons voice says from close by. Dad moves away and sits on the end of the bed.

"I'll me excellent if these patches come off and I can see..." I mumble, folding my legs under me.

"Good, well lets see, shall we? This is Emma, she'll be assisting me today and studying on your case as an intern." He says softly, patting my hand once.

I nod blindly and wait as his fingers brush over my skin.

The disgusting sound of medical paper tape peeling from skin makes me shiver as Dr Melton removes one and Emma does the other.

As the harsh light attacks my eyes I flinch a little, "is it supposed to hurt, Dr Melton?" I grumble, shielding my eyes from the window in the corner.

"A little pain is to be expected, however it should last no longer than when you wake up in the morning." He explains with a slight chuckle.

"Okay..." I mumble, fluttering my eyes open and closed as I try to get used to it.

True to Dr Meltons words, the pain subsides and I'm graced with vision, slightly blurred on the edges.

"How is it looking, Lauren?" Dr Meltons voice slices through the impatient yet hopeful atmosphere.

I blink a few times and rub my eyes again, "my peripheral is a little blurred, Doc..." I whisper, getting a little flutter of nerves.

I wish Jason was here!

"Ah, I suspected this. Due to the loss of your night vision, Lauren dear, in turn it would seem as though your peripheral has been erred on its way also..." He draws out a long sigh, "unfortunately there is nothing we can do."

I groan and bury my face in my hands as a stifled sob escapes my lips.

I hear Moms soft sniffle and then a big hand smooths over my back. It's Daddy trying to comfort me but it doesn't work...