and then there was darkness::18

After I was finally allowed home, Mom let me spend the entire day in bed. I just slept.

Now, as I stumble down the stairs to get some dinner, I yawn widely.

I know I probably wont sleep well tonight, but I just couldnt be bothered with the world.

"Mom? What did you order? It smells fantastic..." I say through the rest of my yawn and stretch.

I can hear mom in the kitchen rattling away with the eating utensils.

As I round the corner and emerge in the kitchen, I'm pleasantly surprised to find Dad there aswell.

"Hey honey..." Dad says, smiling at me as he raises an arm. I step into his side and graciously accept his hug.

"What are you doing here?" I question, not at all complaining.

He chuckles, "Im having dinner... Do you mind if this old bean eats with you?" He says, rubbing his hand over my arm.

I shake my head vigorously. "No way! You can definitely stay!"

Mom does her hearty laugh and the sound is soothing.

"What did you order?" I turn to her and lean over the counter to see what she has.

Chinese.

YUM.

I snatch up a small white box and open the lid to reveal a dish of Buttery Chicken.

Placing it back where I found it, I grab another box.

This one is my favourite! Fried Rice!

I snatch up a fork and grin at daddy. Chopsticks are for smart people. I slip onto the stool beside my dad and look across at mom.

Its been a while since we ate dinner together.

"I miss you guys..." I mumble at them.

We all share a look and although nobody speaks, a thousand different words are being said.

Its exactly how I remember the old days with my family.

I look away from the eyes of my mom and dad and dig my fork into the box of Fried Rice.

Forkfuls of goodness are devoured and I finish with a desert of Honey Chicken.

Dad glowers at me, "yuck, Lauren. Slow down!"

I look up at him with big innocent bug eyes. "Whaaarrrttt?" I whine with a full mouth.

Mom and dad groan and look away quickly, causing me to grin. Im so lady-like...

After dinner, Mom, Dad and I sit in the loungeroom and watch a DVD together.

Last time we did this I was in Primary School still.

Dad and I snuggle on the sofa and mom sprawls out on the throw-rug on the floor.

Half-way through the movie, I start to doze off again.

Dad shakes me awake later on in the evening as he lifts me off of him. "I've got to head off, love."

I groan, "Awh, but dad, wont you please stay?" I mumble groggily.

Dad sighs, "Sorry baby, but I cant. I've got to get back and feed the pooches." He explains and Mom helps me stand as I climb from the couch.

My eyes are sore and I find myself rubbing them.

My chest feels heavy and I search around in the dimly lit room for a clear path around the sofa to hug dad again.

"Its dark now, Lauren. Let your mother take you upstairs..." Dad says as he hugs me quickly once.