and then there was darkness::19

"Its so great seeing you!" Myah's chipper voice cheers as she looks at me in the mirror. "Is Jason here with you?" Myah turns her head and looks around in search of her absent brother.

"No." I sigh, letting out a deflated breath, "He disappeared the other day. I thought maybe he was at home?"

Myah purses her pouty pink lips. "No, he isnt. Maybe I'll give him a call after work. Anyway, what would you like done today, Lauren?"

I hesitate, studying my appearance in the mirror.

Pale alabaster skin, pink lips, long lashes and long, straight hair.

"I want something that's easy to maintain, something that I can easily request when I cant see that will always be the same." I describe, fluffing random strands around my face.

Myah smiles, "Well, I'll make you one of my lifelong clients so that only I can cut it and we can work on that one. Would you life if I just cut off the split ends and shaped it around your face?"

I shrug, "Whatever you see fit." I say politely, smiling.

I fight to rub my eyes quickly before she drapes a cape around my shoulders and instructs me to follow her.

While she washes my hair in the basin, I relax and almost fall asleep.

"Alright, wake up, Lauren." Myah says with a little grin. "Time to trim up your hair."

She leads me back to the chair and I sit with a grimace at my reflection in the mirror. I look like a drowned rat!

"You've got lovely hair, Lauren. It's healthy and long." Myah says with a small smile. "It's a shame to even bring scissors to it!"

I smile a little as a responce and watch as she brings a small stool on wheels to sit behind my head.

Myah runs a brush through my hair, pinning sections this way and that.

"Alright, is this a good length?" She asks before she cuts, holding it so that about an inch hangs through her fingers.

I shrug, "Sure." I say, smiling at her.

The familiar sound of hair being cut fills my ears like a melodic rhythm.

I let my eyes close softly and before I even know it, Myah is tapping me on the shoulder.

"Did you fall asleep, Lauren?" She asks with a wicked smile. "That's cute."

I blush and shake myself awake. My hair is completely done. "Wow, Myah, this looks fantastic." I say with a grin.

"I know, you're beautiful." She says softly, smoothing a hand across my shoulder. "Would you like it blow dried?"

I shrug, "Sure. Thank you." I wait patiently, wincing a few times as the heat burns but doesnt last. When she's finally done, my soft and now wispy looking hair makes me smile. "Its perfect. Thank you so much, Myah."

She grins, "No worries. I'll put you on the client list?" She offers, gesturing to the desk with her thumb.

I nod, "That'd be lovely, thanks."

She nods once in responce and unclips the back of the cape, shaking it away from me.

I step out of the chair and am met with Mom's appraising look.

"You look adorable, Lauren." My mom says, hugging me sideways.

After a long wait, Mom and I finally leave the drive-through with our lunches and head home.

In the car, Mom turns the radio down. "Lauren, I want to talk to you about your dad. I think you deserve an explanation." She says softly, glancing at me from the corner of her eyes.

I straighten in my chair as I munch on my wrap and nod. "Okay..." I say around my food.

She makes a face but exhales loudly. "Your father and I want you to know that this is in no way your fault. We love you and each other very much, however we just cant be together at the moment. This may be permanent, but until we've sorted out a few issues, we're just taking a break." Mom says slowly, glancing at me every so often. Now she takes a break of her own to drink some of her soda. "Your father is a very confined man, he likes to brood about things rather than to talk about them..."

I nod slowly, "I noticed that, mom. Dad's quiet..."

Mom nods, "Yes, he is. He doesnt like to be seen as weak, and I think that is his greatest weakness. We are married and I have tried many times to have him talk to me, but he just doesnt seem to find me consoliable." Mom sighs and I know this must be hard for her.

She rubs her brow, furrowing them briefly. "He wishes he could be here for you now, but staying at Gran's place and meeting me once a week at the Marriage Counselling is helping us, believe it or not."

"I dont want yous guys to split up, mom and I really hope you can work it out..." I say with a sympathetic smile at her.

As we pull into my driveway, I look to the front and notice Jasons car parked under the shade of one of the big trees.

"Jasons here..." I mumble, looking around for him.

He sits on the front step.

Mom smiles, "I like this boy, Lauren. He seems very nice."

I nod, "The hairdresser is Jason's older sister, too. Her name is Myah." I tell mom, unbuckling my belt as she stops in front of the garage doors.

"Oh, she was lovely, that girl." Mom says thoughtfully.

Mom climbs from the car and I follow, the clicking of the car locking behind me as I head to where Jason sits.

"Hey..." He says briefly, almost awkwardly.

I stop a metre or so in front of him and smile. "You disappeared..." I note casually.

He exhales loudly. "I know, I had to arrange some things." I hesitate as I drink from my soda.

"Okay..." I gesture to the door. "Do you want to come in?"

He stands and dusts off his jeans. "Yeah, thats a good idea." I laugh a little and we head inside.

"Was it important, what you had to organise?" I question, putting my empty soda cup into the trash as we sit at the counter in the kitchen.

He shrugs. "Fairly. But lets not talk about it..." He says with a small smile. "Did you have your hair done?"

I nod and twist a dstrand around my finger. "Yeah, your sister cut it for me."

He chuckles, "I didnt think she was working today." He mumbles to himself.

I slip onto the stool beside him. "Do you want to do something tonight?"

At this precise moment, Mom enters the kitchen. "Perhaps night isnt the best idea. You know what you've been through, Lauren." Mom reminds.

I sigh, "I forgot. Maybe we could watch movies tomorrow?" I look hopefully to Jason who shrugs again.

"I'd like that." He says nonchalantly.

I smile a weak smile, "Well, I hate to be lame, but I'm really tired... I guess I'll see you later?" I slip from the stool, feeling unease.

What is this feeling? Is there suddenly something wrong with our relationship?

I feel sick in the pit of my stomach at the thought of losing Jason now, this far into it. While I feel like I do about him, could I stand losing him as well as my sight?

I stumble out of the kitchen and up the stairs before either Mom or Jason can speak another word and lock myself away in my room.

Collapsing into the duvet on my bed, I heave out a sob and tears prickle their way to my cheeks.

What have I done?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Until next time...

Comment, Vote and Fan !

:)

©™