Working Late- Peter Parker x reader

"Have a nice night!" You called to the customer as they left the shop with their drink. You sighed, wiping down the counter in front of you, checking the time on the register. 5:30pm. Only 4 more hours til your shift was over and you could finally go home.

"You counting down the hours too?" Peter asked from behind you, taking his place at the register next to yours.

"Yeah." You replied, taking a sip of water and taking in the empty coffee shop before continuing. "This is the most dead it's been all day. It's a nice break."

"I still don't get why it's so busy during mid day. Don't most people get their coffees in the morning?" Peter sighed, making you chuckle.

"We live in New York City, Peter. Places like this are always busy. Plus we're right next to a bunch of stores. A lot of the customers from today have been employees from those stores grabbing something to get them through a shift." You reminded him, causing him to put his hands up in a surrendering motion.

"You make a good point." He smiled. "What time did you get here?"

"3." You replied. "You got here at 4 right?"

Peter nodded. "Surprised you saw me come in during the madness."

"I saw you come in I just didn't get to talk to you til now because it was so busy." You pointed out. "I'm glad it's died down, though."

"Oh same. It's actually kind of nice when it's not hectic." Peter said, leaning against the counter.

"It is." You sighed, looking out the window. As much as you hated working late, you did take pleasure in being able to see the sunset in a cute coffee shop. The view of the colors in the sky blending together along with the sun slowly setting from the chairs in the shop was something you'd watch every night if you could.

And on clear nights, if you looked up, sometimes you could catch a glimpse of the stars. Tonight was cloudy though, but you knew if you looked up when you were walking home you could probably see the moon, shining through the clouds.

The peaceful images in your mind were interrupted by the oh so familiar ringing of the bell above the door, alerting you that a customer had entered.

"I got this one." Peter told you quietly, stepping up to the register and greeting the customer.

You smiled gratefully, thankful that you'd get a break from ringing people up even if only for a minute. You hummed to yourself as you got the customer's drink ready, before handing it to them and telling them "have a nice night!" as you did with each customer that came in, even the ones that made you want to yell and scream in their faces.

The rest of the night went by slower than you wanted it to but surprisingly pleasant for a long shift. When there were no customers, you and Peter spent your time talking and joking around. It surprised you that the two of you hadn't spoken more, but you knew that during the school year you had less work availability and since you only finished school a week ago, you accepted that it was just because of scheduling that you hadn't talked to him as much as you would've liked.

Wiping down the counter once again, you noticed this time that it was 9:30pm.

"Hey." You spoke, getting Peter's attention. "It's 9:30. Time to go home."

"Thank god." He sighed, making you smile. "Let's go get our stuff."

The two of you went to the back, taking off your aprons and hanging them up, clocking out and grabbing whatever belongings you brought before heading out, knowing the manager would lock up behind you.

"Well I'm glad you be done." You breathed. "Have a good night, Peter!"

You turned to start to walk in the direction of your apartment, but Peter's voice interrupted you.

"Wait- Are you walking home alone?" He asked.

"I was going to, yeah. I usually do when I work late." You answered, slightly confused.

"I- Well, I'll walk you home." He said.

"You don't have to, I'll be fine. It's only 10 minutes." You tried to assure him but he shook his head.

"No it's late. I can't let you walk home all by yourself. Even if it is just 10 minutes." He spoke.

"Are you sure you don't mind?" You asked, starting to walk in the direction of your apartment with Peter following you.

"Not at all. I'd rather know you got back safely." He grinned, making you smile softly.

The two of you walked in silence before arriving at a cross walk. You looked up at the sky and just as you expected, the small sliver of the moon that was out was shining through the clouds of the night sky.

"The moon is so pretty this time of night." Peter pointed out, glancing up at the sky.

"It is really pretty. It's one of the things I always look for on my way home." You nearly whispered, before seeing you could cross. "We can cross, by the way."

It wasn't long before you reached your apartment building, pausing to get your keys out.

"Hey thanks for walking me home." You told Peter. "I really appreciate it."

"Anytime." He replied. "Have a nice night."

"You too. And will you let me know when you get back to your place safely?" You asked.

"Sure." He told you, starting to walk in the direction of his apartment. "And hey, anytime you're working late, let me know! I'll walk you home!"

You smiled, but had a feeling this would not be the last time he would be walking you home.