Hear Your Heart- Peter Parker x reader

Peter Parker was your best friend. The two of you grew up together, you were inseparable. You told Peter everything and he would listen. He was always there for you, no matter what. He was there for you when your parents got divorced, he was there for you all the times you got your heart broken.

And you were there for Peter. You were there when Ben died, you were there for him when he was bitten by the spider. You were there for him when he gushed about Liz and practiced asking her to homecoming. You were there when he was trying to catch the Vulture and you were there when he jumped out of the bus that fateful day he decided to go help Mr. Stark.

You begged and begged him not to go, but you couldn't stop him. You watched as he swung to where the action was, away from you. Then, the unthinkable happened. You lost Peter. Thanos snapped his fingers and suddenly your friends and family were turning to dust in front of your eyes. It wasn't long after when you were at Peter's apartment, crying to her about how you couldn't stop him from leaving, how you pleaded with him to just stay with you. You were interrupted by a knock on the door, both of you fearing the worst.

May opened the door to let Tony in, a somber look on his face. Neither of you said anything until Tony opened his mouth.

"I'm so sorry." Was all he said. It was all he had to say for you and May to know what happened, to break down further.

You lost Peter for nearly a year. During that time you blamed yourself, despite May telling you it wasn't your fault. Despite Tony telling you that there was absolutely nothing you could have done. When Peter saw a fight, nothing stopped him from going.

You cried every day, your mourned your best friend. Tony became your father figure, allowing you to mourn and lash out as you needed to. For nearly a year, you either stayed with Tony or with May, refusing to go home and stay by yourself. Until one day Tony called you and said him and the Avengers had a plan. They weren't sure if it would work, but they were going to try. And if he didn't return, that he was sorry.

You and May didn't argue. You just sat together, silently with mugs of tea that would eventually get cold. Emotionless eyes staring at the floor or ceiling, refusing to watch the TV.

This went on for days, you were waiting for a phone call, another knock on the door, just something. Something that would let you know what happened.

Soon, another knock on the door came. These knocks were soft, timid. They did not belong to Tony. Again, May opened the door, this time nearly falling on her knees, a scream leaving her mouth.

"Hi May." Peter said softly, gently picking up his aunt. May clung to him, her arms going around his neck as she sobbed. Peter's eyes met yours as his arms circled around his aunt. He smiled softly, while you could barely process what was happening. When May finally let go of Peter after what seemed like ages, you threw yourself into his arms, sobbing hysterically.

Peter rubbed your back softly while you cried, words muffled by his chest.

"Peter, you're back-you're really here!" You cried, his thumbs wiping away your tears. "I thought I lost you. Where-Where's Tony?" You asked, seeing Peter's face fall. A pit formed in your stomach as you waited for him to answer.

"Tony didn't make it back."

Six months later and you were slowly healing. Peter wasn't the same. He didn't put the suit on at all, he barely talked to you or May about his nightmares because he couldn't stand to cause either of you more pain than he had when he died.

You spent more time with him, playing with his hair when he felt anxious or sad even when he didn't talk to you about it. Sometimes he'd ask if he could just be held by you or May, wanting to feel something again, which you happily did. He'd lay his head on your chest while you drew patterns on his back or arms.

Sometimes he'd go on walks by himself, sometimes during the day and sometimes at night. He would clear his mind, which was filled with thoughts of Tony and his death, as well as Peter's own death.

You watch from the window as Peter would begin his walk, sometimes at 2 am around the city. It was ironic, really. He would always walk you home or walk around with you if you wanted to walk around at night, but he never asked you to walk with him. He always went alone.

Sometimes you'd follow him, just to make sure he was okay. One night, you found him standing against a building on the side of a random, empty sidewalk, shaking and crying. His head was buried in his hands, trying to ensure no one heard him. Wordlessly, you approached him and brought him into a hug, allowing him to let out his tears on your shoulder. When he was ready, he just grabbed your hand and you would walk him home in silence.

All you wanted to do was take away Peter's fears and sadness. You wished he didn't have to suffer nightmares every night about his own death as well as Tony's. You wished he could look at the Spiderman suit without tearing up.

"Peter, I don't need you to tell me everything. I know I'll never understand what it was like to go through what you went through. But I know when you're sad or anxious, okay? So please, let me just be there for you." You would tell him, his hands grasped in yours.

"How do you know when I'm sad when I don't tell you?" He asked, resting his forehead on your shoulder.

"I can see it in your actions. You always put your heart into something unless you're sad or anxious." You replied, smoothing his hair back.

He lifted his head slightly so he could look at you. "Promise you're not leaving?" He whispered, his eyes full of hope and fear.

You nodded. "I promise, Peter. You're my best friend."

Peter was there for you whenever you needed him the most. It was your turn to be there for him when he needed you the most.