Family Drama- Tom Holland x reader

a/n: this is a lawyer au!!

warnings & disclaimer: mentions of abuse, descriptions of abuse/harassment, the story that eliza tells detective!reader is completely mine. that is something i went through in october 2017 but i changed a couple details. but none of that is 'fictional' i guess? idk i didn't just come up with it, i just used my own experience with family court for this!!

You pull up to the small shop slowly, seeing the rest of the cops already there. Two were talking to a man, who you presumed to be the perpetrator outside. You walked in to see a young girl hysterically crying, dressed in what appeared to be a work uniform while she tried to explain to a female cop what had happened.

"This is Detective Y/L/N. She'll talk to you more, okay honey?" The cop told her gently as the girl nodded. The cop glanced to you and you responded with a short nod of your head, a silent way of saying that you'd take it from there.

"Are your parents here?" You asked, the girl shaking her head.

"That's my dad out there." She pointed to the man you saw when you were walking in. "My mom is on her way." You nodded.

"I see. And what's your name, hun?" You asked.

"Eliza Richards." She responded simply, glancing at you as you wrote it down.

"Can you tell me what happened tonight, Eliza?" You looked at her, seeing her tense up as she sighed and nodded.

"I was just doing my job. I'm the only one working here tonight but it's pretty dead so I didn't mind having to be here by myself." She started. "My dad didn't like that I chose to spend time with my mom instead of him and my stepmom so they were getting really angry and kept texting me awful, awful things and demanding I give them my phone. But I ignored them and normally they don't know if I'm working unless I tell them so I figured I was safe here but then my dad showed up. He started threatening to come behind the counter and take my phone himself. I tried begging him to leave, telling him we could do this at a later time but he refused. Some customers came and immediately noticed something was wrong and I guess they called the cops."

You nodded understandingly. This situation came up more often than you'd like in your line of work but you were determined to help the victims involved to keep them safe and ensure that they knew they were taken care of.

"Was your dad or stepmom ever physically abusive towards you?" You asked, Eliza hesitating before shaking her head.

"No. Just verbally. This was the first time it escalated to this." You nodded, looking up when Eliza's mom came in, embracing her daughter.

"Mrs. Richards?" You asked, extending your hand. "Detective Y/L/N. I'll be working your case. Your daughter told me everything that happened tonight. I'll be working tomorrow to look into it more and work on getting a restraining order for you guys." You explained.

"Would it be possible to get one for against her stepmother as well? I know she wasn't here but I feel still poses a threat to her." Mrs. Richards told you, worry written all over her face.

"I'll see what I can do." You told her honestly, making her smile slightly.

"Thank you. Can I do anything else to help?" She asked.

"I'll just need your phone number. I'll call you when you need to come down to the court and fill out the paperwork." You smiled as the mother nodded graciously and recited her phone number, you writing it down as she did so. "I'll be in touch." You told them, walking out of the shop.

Taking out your phone, you dialed the number of the only lawyer you knew, Tom Holland.

"Y/N? The hell do you want? It's like 1 am." He mumbled groggily, it was obvious he was woken up by the ringing of his phone.

"It's 10 pm." You chuckled. "Why're you asleep anyway? You're usually up at this hour."

"I fell asleep after my show. What do you want?" He responded.

"I'll need to meet with you tomorrow. Family needs ya." You told him, a sigh leaving Tom's mouth. No matter how much the two of you loved your jobs, it always broke your heart to have to deal with scumbags who abused their family members- whether it was physical abuse, sexual abuse, or verbal abuse.

"9 am?" He asked, you nodding in agreement before remembering he couldn't see you through the phone.

"Yeah. 9 am. I'll do more searching before then." You confirmed.

"Alright thanks. Get some rest." He told you, making you chuckle.

"Goodnight, Tom." You laughed.

"Night, Y/N."

-

9 am rolled around and you found yourself pulling up to the oh-so-familiar courthouse. Putting everything you had in your pockets in a bin, you went through the metal detector before making your way to Tom's office.

The effects of your lack of sleep were evident, if the bags under your eyes didn't give it away then maybe it was the fact that you were walking at the pace of a snail or how you were basically falling asleep while walking.

Knocking on Tom's door, he opened it while you were mid-yawn, making him chuckle.

"Well you look ravishing, darling." He laughed, opening the door.

"Shut up. I was up all night doing more research on Eliza's stepmother. Turns out she was known to get physically abusive at times." You told him, throwing the file onto his desk.

Tom read it over, his eyes scanning the pages. "I think we can get a restraining order for both. I've represented Eliza and her mother before, I know them pretty well."

"Perfect. Can we do it later today?" You asked, Tom shaking his head.

"'M busy all day. I can do tomorrow." He replied.

"Works for me. What kind of cases you got today?" You asked him.

"The usual. Domestic abuse. Defending the victims." Tom shrugged.

"God it sucks, doesn't it? There's so many bad people in the world." You sighed, Tom nodding in agreement.

"This job never gets easier." He mumbled, earning a nod from you.

"I'll let you go get to your cases. Call me later?" You spoke, moving towards the door.

"Desperate to hear my voice again, love?" He teased, making you roll your eyes.

"Fuck you, Holland. Here's Mrs. Richards' number. Call her." You laughed, closing the door to his office before beginning to walk back to the entrance to get to your car.

The job was never easy, but it always made you feel better knowing you could make a positive difference in someone's life.