⠂Chapter 4⠐ |Astrid|

I sit up swiftly in bed, momentarily disoriented before remembering I’m in the room I grew up in. I let out a breath and drop back against my pillows. “I hate that dream,” I murmur, covering my face with my arm. A knock sounds on my door and I remove my arm from my face, turning to look at it.

What the hell? I check the time before standing and slowly walking over. I open it to reveal Bucky standing there, his hand raised to knock again.

I blink, still trying to shake off the dream. “What could you possibly want at 2:47 in the morning?” I ask, staring at him, confused.

“Someone just came to the front door. You’re dad said he could use your help,” Bucky says quietly. He looks over my face, seeming concerned. “Are you okay?” he asks slowly.

I wave him off. “Just a dream,” I reply. I hear two voices downstairs, both sounding tense and urgent. “Give me two minutes,” I say, still not fully awake.

Bucky stares at me for a moment longer, still seeming a bit concerned before nodding and hurrying down the hall. “¡Ay Dios mío!” I murmur, covering my face. I close my door and quickly pull on a sweater over my t-shirt. I grab a pair of socks, pull them on, and grab my phone, placing it in the pocket of my sweatpants.

Almost fully awake now, I walk into the bathroom, splash some cold water on my face, brush my hair, and grab a hair tie before finally walking downstairs. I can feel the tension in the air as I slowly walk over to the door.

“Mr. Daniel?” I ask, surprised.

The stern-faced, now grey-haired man talking with my father looks at me and blinks in surprise. “Astrid?” he says, seeming at a loss for words. He looks back at my dad. “Do you think she can help?”

“That’s the entire reason she’s awake right now,” my dad says, pinching the bridge of his nose.

I glance at Bucky who’s standing off to the side, his arms crossed and his eyes shifting between the three of us. He holds my gaze for a moment. “What happened?” I ask, bringing my attention back to my dad.

“My grandsons got stuck across the river. There are too many rocks around where they are for us to get to them easily. Chris has been trying to swim to them but he hasn’t had any luck.”

My entire body tenses at the mention of Christopher’s name. I close my eyes for a moment and take a few deep breaths before opening my eyes again. “What are we waiting for?” I ask, looking between them.

“Right. Let’s go,” my dad says.

“I’ll be right back down,” I say quickly, already hurrying back towards the stairs. I enter my room and swiftly pull on a pair of shorts under my sweatpants before hastening back down the stairs. Pulling on a pair of boots I follow my dad out, Bucky close behind me. The smack of cold air almost instantly numbs my nose but I ignore it.

Daniel gives Bucky a cautious look before murmuring something to my dad. “Who’s he?”

“A close friend of Astrid’s,” my dad responds. He opens the driver’s seat of his truck before glancing at me and Bucky.

“I can ride in the bed of the truck,” Bucky says.

“Are you sure?” my dad asks, his eyebrows raising.

“Yeah,” Bucky responds simply. He easily jumps up onto the back of the truck before sitting down. I give him a look before getting into the passenger’s seat.

Daniel gets into his truck, the engine having been sitting idle, and takes off down my dad’s long driveway. My dad starts the engine and follows close behind him.