⠂Chapter 18⠐|Bucky| (Memory)

TW: Violence and slightly graphic
~~~~~~

“Stay safe, Buck,” Steve said.

I nodded, not meeting his eyes as I quickly exited the S.H.I.E.L.D building. I had decided against using any of the many vehicles in the garage, which I would eventually regret doing, and instead decided to grab a taxi.

I had no idea where I was going, just that I needed to get away from S.H.I.E.L.D. It was funny how they thought they had taken care of the Hydra problem when many of the people in charge of that were part of Hydra.

I shook my head at their stupidity and stared out at the passing lights of New York at nearly midnight. 

At that moment I realized I hadn’t told the cab driver a location but he had started driving anyway. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed him glancing at me from the rearview mirror, a strange look in his eyes.

“Can you let me out here?” I asked, turning to lock eyes with him in the mirror.

His face paled and he nodded. I gave him a few bucks before stepping out of the taxi and pulling my backpack on. Something isn’t right.

I started walking and watched as the taxi I had been in drove past and turned down a road. At that moment Steve would be on a plane to the D.C. headquarters while more and more Hydra agents started popping up all over the U.S.

Not paying much attention to where I was going I turned down a street and continued walking. I hadn't realized how quiet the street was until I was a few minutes down it.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose and I glanced around suspiciously. The buildings on either side of the street were old brick buildings and none of the lights were on.

Where the hell am I? That taxi driver had taken me a lot further than I had originally thought.

A salty breeze hit my face and I quickly concluded that I was surrounded by warehouses and that the ocean was nearby. I kept aimlessly walking for nearly an hour until realizing I was hopelessly lost.

Up until that point, I hadn’t noticed I was being followed. My guard was down and I hadn’t slept for four days. I like to think those were the only reasons I was able to be ambushed. But it was also because I was greatly disoriented and hadn't even thought of the idea of an ambush.

My wandering had planted me next to an expansive dock with giant storage containers stacked on one another filling the space.

By then I had realized I was being followed and quickly made a beeline for the docks, hoping to lose whoever was following me among the maze of storage containers.

That plan only partially worked before a group of three people stepped out in front of me. I stopped short, tensing.

“Are you the Winter Soldier?” one of them asked, his southern drawl a surprise.

“The way he’s looking at us… I don’t like it,” a different one said, a small tremor of fear in their voice.

“Shut up, kid,” the third snapped.

“We can do this the hard way, or the easy way,” the first one said.

Famous last words. I didn’t make any move so they all took a step toward me. Before they could take another I darted down between two storage container towers. They all shout, giving chase, but that’s exactly what I wanted.

I easily outpaced them and climbed on top of a relatively tall tower of shipping containers. Right before I reached the top, I froze, my eyes landing on a person standing on top, the barrel of a gun pointing down at my forehead.

“Cute,” I muttered before bunching my arms and launching myself up and over them. Before they had time to turn around I landed a kick to their back, sending them flying off the containers.

They screamed as they plummeted to the ground before finally being silenced by the evident impact.

“There you are,” someone said from nearby.

I glanced around quickly, locating the source of the voice. “Nice gun,” I said slowly, lifting my hands, my eyes staying glued to the shotgun.

He’s still walking toward me. Rookie mistake. I waited until he was nearly an arm’s length away before pushing off with my foot and turning, avoiding the shot that goes off. I grab the barrel and yank the thing out of his hands, crushing it.

“Shit,” he whispered, his eyes going round. He lunged for me but I side-stepped, landing a knee to his ribs. A crack sounds from his chest as he calls out in pain.

You chose this. He slowly straightened before lunging for me again. This time, barely thinking, I grabbed his head and hit the side of it, crushing his skull, much the same way I crushed his gun.

Who the hell are these people? I dropped his limp body before collecting my legs under me and jumping across the many-foot space to a neighboring container tower.

I heard shouting that seemed to be gradually getting closer and quickly ran down the length of the container before jumping. I passed easily over the length of the adjacent container before landing on the third. I rolled to ease the impact and stayed crouched for a second, looking around.

“I see him!” someone yelled, making me quickly look in that direction.

A gunshot went off and I rolled again. I came back up and realized that the shot hadn’t been directed at me. I frowned, glancing back before continuing down the dock, jumping from the tops of the stacked-up containers.