⠂Chapter 16⠐

“Are you Ms. Valla?”

I look up quickly from reorganizing the cups to find a man watching me. I frown slightly. He looks familiar. “Yes, that would be me,” I respond, turning to face him. I glance around the cafe but it’s the time of day when we have very few customers. “How can I help you?”

“I wanted to talk with you about something,” he responds.

“I’m sorry but, do I know you?” I ask, unable to shake the feeling that I’ve seen him before.

“Careful Rogers, remember you’re undercover,” a voice says faintly.

My eyes flick to his ear to find an earpiece there. Rogers? Is this fucking Captain America?!

“You might know me,” he says slowly.

“Actually, I think I know.” I look around again before leaning over the counter slightly. “You’re Steve Rogers, aren’t you?” I murmur, looking him straight in his shockingly blue eyes.

His eyes widen in surprise as he stares at me. “How-?”

“Your face is too familiar,” I respond, cutting him off. “What do you want?” I ask again, watching him.

“All right, your cover’s blown. Just tell her,” I hear again from his earpiece.

“I’m looking for someone by the name of James Barnes,” he says after a moment, glancing around.

My eyes narrow slightly but I quickly go back to a blank expression. “Pardon?” I ask, playing dumb.

“A little over two and half years ago he was last seen around here and we have someone who said they saw you with him.”

I stare up at him, widening my eyes slightly to give myself a more innocent look. I know the things Bucky has said about his history with Rogers but I’m not giving him away that easily. “I’m not sure I follow…” I say slowly.

I can tell he’s starting to get annoyed now because his jaw clenches. “Do you know where he is?”

“No,” I say simply, which isn’t even a lie since he had gone out twenty minutes ago without telling me where he was going.

“Please, it’s important. Do you remember anything?” he asks, starting to get desperate.

A let a small confused frown come onto my face. “I-... Uhm… I’m not sure…” I stutter. I’ve been trying my best to forget about the first night I met Bucky and I’m not about to let Mr. Wannabe America ruin that.

I look away, acting a bit flustered. “I mean… he was in a bit of a rush. I-... I don’t remember much other than that,” I say, looking up shyly.

“Rogers, finish this up, time is of the essence,” the voice from his earpiece says quietly.

Rogers lets out a sigh before placing his hands on the counter and leaning toward me. Even though I know to keep up the innocent persona I should lean away but I’ve never been able to make myself do that so I don’t budge. “Please. It’s really important.”

“I don’t know where he is,” I mumble, glancing away.

“Time’s almost up Rogers,” his earpiece buzzes.

I resist the urge to glance at the little device and instead stare out the windows for a few seconds. “I don’t know where he is and I barely remember that night,” I murmur, neither of those things a lie.

“Fine,” Rogers mutters, pushing off the counter. “Thank you for your time,” he says, turning.

I give him a tight smile and watch as he exits the cafe and crosses the street, getting into a car. “Can you take both our shifts?” I ask Bri, who’s on shift with me.

“Of course,” she says, looking up from her journal.

“Thanks,” I say, swiftly exiting to the back room. I hang my apron up before rushing upstairs, nearly falling on my face in my haste.

The door flies open and I snap it shut behind me, my eyes falling on a very surprised-looking Bucky. “I thought your shift wasn’t over for another hour,” he says slowly.

“Why did Steve Rogers just come into the cafe asking about you?” I say breathlessly, taking a few steps towards him.

“What?”

I catch my breath before repeating what I said. “He also had an earpiece in and someone was talking to him.”

“What did you tell him?” Bucky asks, quickly walking over to one of the windows and looking out on the street.

“I said I didn’t know where you were,” I reply, watching him. “He said it was important.”

“What the hell?” Bucky mutters, walking back over.

“Oh, also, apparently he was undercover?”

“That doesn’t make any sense.”

“My thoughts exactly.”

There’s a long lapse of silence before Bucky lets out a breath that almost sounds like a laugh. “Did you pull the innocent, helpless girl card on him?” he asks, a small smile pulling at his mouth.

I cross my arms and look away sheepishly. “Maybe,” I say, drawing out the “a”. Bucky’s phone, which is on the table, starts ringing and vibrating.

He makes no move to answer it so I step over and pick it up. A hand quickly wraps around my other wrist, preventing me from answering the call. I give Bucky a confused look.

He quickly shakes his head, his eyes a bit wide. “If you pick up that call whoever is on the other end will be able to track it down to this location,” he murmurs, staring at the number.

“Wah? Who is it?”

“No one good,” he responds. The call stops and he releases my hand and takes a step away from me.

“How do you know?”

“I made that mistake once,” he murmurs.

We both jump as the doorbell goes off. I stay frozen in place and stare at Bucky, my eyes going wide. “You. Stay here,” I murmur before stepping out of the door and walking down the stairs.

“Who is it?” I say loudly, looking through the peephole. I don’t see anyone but don’t move to open the door either.