⠂Chapter 7 ⠐

TW: Mention of stalker-like behavior

~~~~~~

This is ridiculous. Just knock! I chastise myself.

I stare at the door in front of me, frozen, before finally lifting a hand and gently knocking. I jump slightly when it opens, revealing Bucky, still wearing his normal clothes.

"You're not in pajamas," I point out.

"And you're at my door at two in the morning," Bucky responds, his face blank but a small glimmer of amusement in his eyes.

"I'm aware of that fact," I respond. I glance down the hall even though I know my dad is fast asleep at the far end, his door closed. "I'm ready to talk. About everything," I say quickly, looking back at Bucky.

He doesn't say anything but nods and moves so I can come into his room. He watches me silently as I pace around, nibbling nervously on my bottom lip. "Twinkie, sit down," he says quietly.

I stop pacing and glance at him before hesitantly sitting on the edge of his bed. "I've never told anyone the whole story " I admit quickly, still biting my bottom lip.

"You don't have to tell me everything. Just what you're comfortable with saying," Bucky responds, slowly sitting down next to me.

I stare at him for a few minutes, getting my thoughts in order before it all comes rushing out. I tell him about my mom passing away when I was eight. How we weren't given much, if any, information on how she died. About how my dad completely shut down afterward, not sleeping, barely eating or drinking. And how I, a nine-year-old, had to take care of him for three years, while also still bringing myself to school. All until my aunt, my mom's younger sister brought me to California for another three years. 

I tell him a little of what happened in California, though much of it is a blur before I begged my aunt to bring me back here for high school, which she did. Upon my return, I found that my dad was only a little better. He still wouldn't talk or sleep, or even look at me most of the time, but I had less to worry about in regards to him eating and drinking.

Finally, I start talking about Chris. We were good friends in elementary and middle school, but, when I came back after randomly disappearing for three years, he was different. He started to obsess over me, wanting to know every little detail about my life that he hadn't asked about before. He also didn't seem to realize that a lot of his behavior was stalker-like. For example, for nearly a month he followed me wherever I went, taking notes on what I did. Which I only found out years later when he and Elizabeth started dating.

I pause for a moment just to catch my breath and reorder my thoughts quickly before continuing. I recount me discovering the Naval Academy and somehow knowing that if I wanted to go to college and not have Chris continue to stalk me, I had to get into a really good school. Also, I realized that joining the army would mean I would have an excuse to keep myself from coming back to Franconia for a while.

Everyone in our town had expected Chris to pass the Naval Academy entry test and for me to fail, but, he failed, and I passed. As soon as I knew I was joining the Naval Academy I broke off contact with nearly everyone I knew. The only person I kept in touch with was the occasional call with Elizabeth, which got fewer and fewer as time went on.

"I know my dad is a lot better, but I still will never forgive him for doing that to me," I whisper. A hand gently lifts my chin and another wipes my cheeks. That's when I realize I'm crying. Bucky releases my chin and I swiftly wipe the tears off my face.

"Thank you for telling me all that," Bucky murmurs, his voice shockingly soft.

I turn from him, still trying to stop my flow of tears. "I feel so dumb for crying," I mutter.

"You shouldn't. Cry all you need to." Bucky tentatively wraps an arm over my shoulders and I scoot closer to him and lean onto his shoulder.

I cry myself completely dry but don't move away from Bucky. His warmth a steady comfort next to me. "I don't even know if all that helped answer your questions," I mumble, a sour note in my voice.

"I don't care about my questions being answered. I'm just glad you felt safe and comfortable enough to tell me all that," Bucky murmurs. I'm still taken aback by how soft and warm his voice is, a stark contrast from how it usually sounds.

"It only seemed fair after you told me about everything you went through."

"I didn't share that with you so that you would tell me things about you. I shared that because I trust you and wanted you to know me… even the worst parts of me."

I pull away from him and look him straight in the eye. "That is not the worst part of you. That is something you had no control over whatsoever. You deserved so much more than that!"

"You deserve so much more as well." Neither of us says anything for a few minutes, sitting in the calm silence of the house.

"I should probably try to get some sleep," I whisper, stifling a yawn. I stand slowly and walk over to the door. "Goodnight, Cyborg," I murmur, glancing back.

"Goodnight, Twinkie," Bucky murmurs back, a hint of a smile on his lips.

One side of my mouth pulls up briefly before I slip out into the hallway and walk quietly back to my room. I hesitate, my hand hovering over the doorknob.

I really shouldn't get a drink… but I really want one… No. I need to sleep.

~~~~~~

There's gonna be some more drama next chapter
I hope you're still enjoying the story so far :)