⠂Chapter 10⠐

The closer we get to New York the more cars there are on the road. This also means a more and more annoyed Bucky who has quite an explosive road rage at times.

“Do you want to switch?” I ask lightly, knowing he’ll understand what I’m talking about.

A few minutes later he pulls over to a rest stop and gets out of the driver’s side. He stomps over to my side and opens my door for me. I get out and give his arm a small pat before walking to the driver’s door which he had left ajar.

We get back onto the road, this time with me driving, and I see Bucky let out a silent breath and close his eyes for a second. He seems unhappy about something.

An hour later we finally reach our street and I see the sign for The Frog and Toad Cafe ahead. I pull into the parking space between the cafe wall and the wall of the apartment building next to it and get out of the car, stretching.

Bucky gets out as well and I watch as his eyes slowly scan the other side of the street before his eyebrows pull together. He gives a small shake of his head before opening the back of the car and pulling out our bags.

We bring them up, careful to not disturb anything going on in the cafe, and I immediately flop onto my bed, letting out a long sigh. “I need a drink,” I groan, sitting up. I walk out to the kitchen and grab an unopened bottle of wine. 

Failing to locate the corkscrew I grumble and grab the smallest knife from the knife holder. I jab it aggressively into the cork and manage to wiggle it out, though I have to struggle with it a little. 

Grabbing a wine glass, I pour out the Muscat nearly to the brim of the glass before setting the bottle down and taking a sip, savoring the sweet taste of it.

“Is that one of the wines Jade sent you?” Bucky asks, walking in and opening the fridge.

I glance at the bottle again and read the label. “Hm, it is,” I comment, taking another drink. “Do you wanna try some?” I ask, offering him my glass.

He turns and closes the fridge before gingerly taking the glass from my hand. He sniffs it before taking a small sip. Then another bigger one before handing the glass back to me. “It’s sweet,” he comments, running his tongue over his lips.

“It’s Muscat, so that would make sense,” I respond, my eyes now glued to his mouth.

“Mhm…” he says slowly.

I take another sip from it, leaning against the peninsula counter. Pulling out my phone I check the time. “I need to call Clare again soon,” I mutter.

“Can I have another sip?” Bucky asks, leaning on the counter across from me.

I move my glass closer to myself and give him a look. “Get your own glass.”

“But I don’t want that much. Just one more sip.”

My eyes narrow in annoyance but I reluctantly hand him my glass. I make an offended noise when he takes more than one sip before setting it down again, a smug smirk on his face.

“I will not forget this,” I mutter, glaring at him before snatching up my wine glass and walking into the living room. “I wish I had Vodka. Or something stronger than wine,” I complain.

“Then go out to a club,” Bucky murmurs.

I take the last sip of my wine and give him a thoughtful look. “You wanna come?” I ask.

Bucky looks over at me and thinks about it for a few seconds. “Sure,” he says finally, surprising me a little.

“Great!” I stand up and hurry into my room. “Wear something a bit nicer than what you’re currently wearing,” I say loudly through my closed door.

“Obviously.” I hear Bucky mutter as he walks past my door.

I stare down at my clothes, frowning. “Do I want to look hot, or nice?” I mutter tilting my head from side to side.

I look longingly at my off-the-shoulder romper but it’s shorts and the fabric is too thin for late November. Finally, I select a pair of ripped skinny jeans, an off-the-shoulder, form-fitting, black, long-sleeved shirt, and slightly heeled, black lace-up boots.

“Are you done in the bathroom?” I holler.

“Yeah,” Bucky responds.

I enter it and quickly do a little make-up and style my hair in a loose braid over my shoulder with a few face-framing hairs. I put in a pair of pearls and smaller jeweled studs and debate on whether I want a necklace or not. I eventually decide against it and walk back into my room, tripping on a small pile of clothing that had accumulated.

I catch myself before I fall and glare down at the clothes before picking them up and moving them off to the side.

“Are you ready yet?” Bucky asks, making me turn quickly to find him standing in my doorway, leaning on the doorframe with his arms crossed.

I slowly scan his outfit. Shiny black ankle boots, black jeans, a black button-up, a black leather jacket, and black gloves.

My eyebrows raise. “All black?” I ask, grabbing a dark grey semi-long coat with a pair of buttons on the front.

Bucky shrugs, readjusting his gloves before pushing off the doorframe. I grab my wallet and phone and pick up a purse, putting both into it. “An Uber should be here in a few minutes,” Bucky says, locking the door as I walk down.

“Mkay,” I respond. “Don’t beat anyone up,” I say as we’re waiting for the Uber.

“Why would you say that?” Bucky asks, an amused look in his eyes.

“Because it seems to be something you enjoy doing,” I murmur.

Bucky snorts and glances down the road. “That’s the car,” he says, nodding at it.