⠂Chapter 17⠐

I stay behind the closed door for nearly a minute before slowly unlocking and opening it, my guard staying up. My eyes land on an envelope sitting in front of the door addressed to me.

I glance around swiftly before cautiously picking it up and feeling the contents. I only feel paper, and the envelope is thin, so I doubt anything is hidden in it. With another glance around I close and lock the door again before hurrying back up.

“Who was it?” Bucky asks as soon as I walk in.

I nearly bump into him and quickly swerve around him. “I don’t know. This was the only thing there,” I respond, holding the envelope up.

“I’m hoping you felt it before bringing it up here,” Bucky says.

I raise an eyebrow at him. “Of course I did,” I mutter, offended.

I walk over to the kitchen counter and open the envelope, slowly pulling out the piece of paper.

All I find on the paper is a date and time, a location, and a single sentence all written in loose, scribbled handwriting.

12/03/19 11:00 a.m.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

I need to talk somewhere that’s not bugged.

S.R.

“That’s Tuesday,” I mutter.

“What is?”

I look up, nearly forgetting Bucky is still here. “It would appear I have a date with your best friend,” I respond, smirking slightly.

He frowns and glances at the back of the paper. I sigh and show him it. “That is his handwriting,” he whispers, a pained note to his voice.

“I’m not sure what he would need to talk about,” I say slowly, but then frown, thinking. ‘Somewhere that isn’t bugged’. Strange. Is he referring to the cafe or his earpiece? Maybe both?

“Are you going?” Bucky asks, shaking me from my thoughts.

“Yes,” I respond.

“And if it’s a trap?”

“I doubt it is. It wouldn’t make sense if it was one.”

“Astrid, please take a moment to think about that,” Bucky says, turning me so I’m looking at him.

I roll my eyes but pause and think. “If it was a trap, or “they” - whoever that may be - were trying to get to me they could do it pretty easily especially if they assume I live alone,” I say matter-of-factly, staring up at Bucky before looking away again. “Also, I just think your friend is worried about you and trying to find you.”

“He’s the one who convinced me it was safer if I went into hiding,” Bucky mutters.

My curiosity sparks and I look at him again. “Why?” I ask, hoping to get more out of him.

He gives me a skeptical look and the silence stretches out before he sighs. Internally I smile, knowing he’s given up and will talk. “S.H.I.E.L.D was still trying to clean up the mess Hydra left behind and trying to catch as many Hydra operatives as possible. 

“A lot, if not all, of those operatives, were looking for me and I was debating on whether it would be helpful for me to disappear until things had cleared up. Steve agreed with that idea, so I did it but…” he trails off, giving me a cautious look.

Confused momentarily I look up at him before realizing he’s unsure about whether or not to talk about that terrifying night when we met. I look down for a few seconds before looking back up. “Continue,” I prompt, my voice shaking slightly.

“How about we sit down first?” he says.

I cast a longing look at the wine cupboard before walking over to the couch and sitting with my back against the armrest, my knees bent. Bucky sits, his metal arm draped over the back while his eyes are glued to the coffee table, his expression far off.

~~~~~~~

I'm super excited for the next few chapters!
I hope you are still enjoying the story! :D