⠂Chapter 34⠐

“Astrid the party starts in an hour!” Natasha exclaims, bursting my door open.

I stare at her wide-eyed, frozen for a moment. “I’m aware,” I respond, motioning down to my outfit which is a dark blue suit with a black turtleneck under it.

 “I’m aware,” I respond, motioning down to my outfit which is a dark blue suit with a black turtleneck under it

“Oh! I love it!” she says, walking over to me.

I smile. “I like your dress,” I say, admiring what she’s wearing. A dark red, knee length dress with matching red heels. “Are all the Avengers going to be at the party?” I ask, turning back to my room and checking my makeup in the mirror.

“Not everyone. A few are on a mission at the moment and some are still in D.C.” she responds, following me and standing in the doorway.

I grab my high heels and put them on, snorting at how tall they make me. They add nearly three inches to my 5’9’’ height. “God it’s weird being tall,” I murmur, turning.

“I think I liked it better when you were only a few inches taller than me,” Natasha jokes, looking up at me. I chuckle. “Can I ask you something?”

I sit down on my bed. “Sure.”

“I notice you usually wear high collars. Why is that?”

I hesitate before letting out a breath. “I have a scar on my collar bone. I’m a bit self conscious about it,” I respond slowly, my hand absently reaching up and resting on where the scar is.

“How’d you get it?”

“Uh… A mission went wrong. We were grounded and had a run-in with a hostile group,” I say with a shrug. “I was up against one of them and he pulled out a knife and took me by surprise.”

“Oh. I’m sorry,” she murmurs.

I smile slightly. “It’s fine.” I sit for a moment before I have a realization. “I can’t get drunk!” I exclaim, though not excitedly. “Huevón,” I mutter.

Natasha gives me a confused look. “Is… is that a swear word?” she asks, her face lighting up with curiosity.

I glance over at her and blink, thinking back on what I said. “Oh… yeah. It’s the Chilean equivalent of… fuck I guess,” I respond, frowning slightly. “Pinche is the Mexican version.”

“How do you say shit in spanish?” she asks, her tone full of excitement.

I try not to smile as I say, “Mierda.”

She gets an evil smirk on her face. “Good to know.” She follows me back out into the kitchen area and I grab a glass of water. “Do you have food? I want something substantial so I’m not trying to survive on party food.”

I snort and open the fridge, looking through it. “I have the rest of a smoothie from earlier,” I say, showing her the container with the purple-ish liquid.

“What kind of smoothie?” she asks, eyeing it.

“Blueberry, apple, kale, almond milk, and a few other things,” I say, finishing my water.

“I’ll take it,” she says enthusiastically.

I pour it into a glass and hand it to her. “What usually happens at these parties?” I ask.

“They usually start out with loud music, dancing, getting to know people. Then Tony will occasionally start up games… mostly drinking games. There’s usually also a pool table, table hockey, and a few other games,” Natasha says, taking a small sip of the smoothie.

“And a bar I’m assuming?”

“Oh yeah. Definitely. He’ll also have the countdown going but the party lasts well after the countdown.”

I cringe slightly. “Does that mean I have to find someone to kiss with the countdown?” I ask, an annoyed look on my face.

Natasha smirks. “You probably should or some random guy might try to,” she says, drinking the smoothie.

Once she’s finished with the smoothie we check ourselves over carefully. We’re twenty minutes late but that’s not a big problem since we see that lots of people are still arriving as we walk over.

“I’m introducing you to the parts of the team you haven’t met yet,” Natasha warns as we walk up the steps behind a couple.

“I assumed as much,” I murmur, looking around. A few snow flurries start falling but not much. From the Avengers headquarters I can hear music and the buzz of lots of voices and from the windows I can see different colored lights.

“Here goes nothing,” I mutter as Natasha and I step inside.

The door closes behind us and my entire body freezes from how loud everything is. Natasha nudges me off to the side. “Are you okay?” she asks, though I can barely hear her as my hearing focuses on fifty different things at once.

“My ears,” I mumble, shutting my eyes.

“Oh crap. I forgot the serum would further enhance that,” she exclaims, looking around. “Give me a minute. Stay here. I’ll be right back,” she says before disappearing into the main room, which is full of people.

I want to call after her but can’t seem to find my voice. My eyes start watering as the noise becomes suffocating. Just as I think I’m about to pass out the sounds get muted. My vision comes back and I find Steve in front of me, his hands covering my ears.

I steady myself with a deep breath and watch him. “Can you hear me?” he asks, his voice a bit muffled. I nod slowly. “Block everything out right now and then try to focus on only one thing,” he tells me, keeping his hands in place.

I close my eyes and struggle to shut out all the noise I can still hear. Finally, I’m able to block it out for a few seconds. I let myself breath for a moment before letting it all back in but only focusing on the music.

I open my eyes and nod at Steve. He returns the nod and slowly removes his hand from my ears. “You okay now?” he asks, watching me carefully. I nod.