⠂Chapter 6 ⠐

"Astrid!"

I chop through the piece of wood in front of me before leaning the ax against the stump and turning. "Yes?"

"Could you help me start the fire?" Daniel asks, standing next to a big fire pit. Internally I roll my eyes while I walk over to him.

I glance at Bucky to find a very large pile of chopped wood with more being added by the second. He lifts his head and I give him a look.

I pick up the box of matches resting on a foldable chair and place them closer to the fire pit before crouching down and picking up some kindling. Dan is little help, and mostly watches as I, quite literally, breathe a fire to life.

After a few minutes, someone places an armful of logs next to me. I glance over and find Bucky watching me curiously.

"Never made a fire before?" I ask lightly, carefully adding a log to the fire.

"Erm, not really," he admits quietly.

I add another log and shortly after, a third one. "Could you get me a few logs that are a bit bigger than these?" I ask, not looking up as I motion at the pile next to me.

Silently, Bucky walks off and comes back with an armful of bigger logs. I hear a car pulling up in the driveway and instinctively look over but look away again just as quickly when I realize whose car it is.

Dan slowly rises from the chair he had occupied after deciding to not help with the fire and walks over to his son's car.

"I wanna see Astrid," I hear a little boy’s voice complain.

"She's busy right now making the fire," Elizabeth responds.

"Can I watch her?" Logan whines.

From here I can hear Elizabeth's sigh. "Go ask her," she says finally.

I look up as Logan comes charging toward me and quickly stand. He reaches me and wraps me in a tight hug. I bend down a bit and return the hug, smiling slightly.

Logan pulls back a bit to look up at me, his face comically serious. "Can I watch you make the fire?" he asks, his voice matching his facial expression perfectly.

Fighting against the urge to laugh, I nod. "Of course. Just be careful."

Logan's face breaks into a huge smile as he steps back to observe the fire. I stand there for a moment, trying to regain control over my breathing. He looks so similar to Chris.

I stare at the little boy for a few seconds, pushing away the similarities between him and his father and instead looking for anything he shares with his mom. His nose is the same shape. His eyes are the same color. He acts like Lizzy.

Finally able to settle my breathing, I turn back to the fire and add two bigger logs to it, helping it grow further.

Logan scoots over to me and leans in slightly. "Who's he?" he whispers, pointing subtly at Bucky.

I glance at Bucky who gives me a questioning look. "He's my friend," I respond, looking back at Logan.

He gets a very concentrated frown on his face that looks so similar to Elizabeth that I almost laugh. "My dad said that he thought you were together," Logan says, glancing between me and Bucky.

I snort a humorless laugh. "I'm sure he thought that," I mutter, annoyed. I add a few bigger logs to the fire, continuing to grow it.

I glance up, finding that Dan and Chris are still talking by Chris' truck, my dad is looking through all the wood piles, and Elizabeth is walking over to the fire pit, her eyes straying over to Bucky a few times.