⠂Chapter 28⠐

Training, training, and more training. That's all that happened for nearly two years. The first year was almost entirely focused on mental training and health, making sure I was in a good, stable place up there. While going to extensive therapy sessions I despised, I was also being trained in a multitude of different fighting styles.

It was explained to me that I needed to learn how to fight and do things before getting the serum or it would be too difficult to teach them to me.

Agent Romanoff had fun beating my ass for a good while until I started being able to hold my own against her, which is saying something with how well trained she is.

Part way through the first year of training I had to go to Ben's wedding, I wasn't going to miss that for anything. The two downsides were that the wedding was in Franconia, which meant I had to go back there again, and I also had to have at least one agent with me since I've become an "important person" or whatever.

Agent Cole, who I quickly figured out was not my type, had to come with me as my "security detail", which was very hard to try to explain to Jade who, as one might guess, is extremely nosey.

After the wedding, I was careful to make sure nothing else came up so I could focus on training, which had almost become like a hobby to me.

There were a few things that came up with the cafe but I was able to deal with them all quickly. Clare didn't question what I was doing, which was helpful.

Whenever anyone did ask about what I was doing I would tell them that my military experience was needed for something and that I couldn't tell them the details. They usually shut up after that.

November 5, 2021. My dad's 56th birthday. My 28th birthday came and went. All my family and friends knew that I didn't do much for my birthday. My aunt and Jade both sent gifts, knowing well I hate getting gifts, but I still appreciated the fact that they remember. I had to go all the way back to my apartment to get them, but it was still very nice of them.

I stare down at my phone before lifting it and going to my dad's contact. Last year I sent him a text. I hadn't even been able to call him. This year I would call him.

I pressed call and waited. It rings twice before he picks up.

"Astrid?" his voice asks, sounding a bit surprised.

"Happy Birthday dad," I say, keeping my voice light.

He's quiet for a few seconds. "Thank you Trid. Happy belated birthday."

"Thanks, dad," I respond, my chest tightening slightly. "How are you doing? How are your classes going?"

"I'm doing well. Classes are good. I've got some great students this year."

"That's great to hear dad."

"How are you doing?"

I don't say anything for a moment. "I'm good. The cafe's doing well."

"That's wonderful."

"So, are you doing anything today?"

"Dan's organizing a little party for this evening," he responds, a smile in his voice.

"That should be fun," I respond, pushing down the tears that want to burst through. What is wrong with me?!

"Yeah..." There's a small pause. "But you're doing well? Honestly?"

"Yes dad. I'm great."

"It's great hearing your voice."

"You too dad. Have a good birthday."

"I'll try... Bye Astrid. Thank you for calling."

"Bye dad." I hang up and can't keep the tears down any longer.

Dr. Mathew Stone, the therapist I had worked with, had been a lot of help. One big thing he helped with is my dad. He told me I had to forgive my dad, but not for my dad, for myself. I had to forgive him so that I could live my life without that looming over me.

I had forgiven him, but now I can't help but think of all the lost opportunities we could have had together while I was growing up.

I hurry outside and make my way to Dr. Stone's office. I knock on the door and wait. "Come in."

I open the door, closing it behind me. "I called him," I say, staring at the wall above his head.

"And you didn't call, say it, then hang up?"

"No. We had a little talk as well," I respond.

"I'm proud of you Astrid. Good job." I nod stiffly. "Go do something to relieve that stress."

I finally bring my gaze to his. "Thank you," I tell him.

"Of course," he responds, smiling.

Letting out a pent-up breath I exit his office and go back to my room to change into workout clothes.

I go down to the gym and do some warmups before going through a handful of moves in different sequences as if I'm actually in a fight.

"Can I join you?"

I turn quickly and smile when I see Natasha. "Of course," I respond.