⠂Chapter 36⠐ |Bucky|

After a few minutes of silence, Grace checks her phone. “Could you excuse me for a second?” she asks, starting to stand.

“Of course,” I respond. She stands and steps inside. I notice as soon as she's inside her friends swarm around her and start talking quickly with her, glancing outside every so often.

She seems to get annoyed before hurrying back out. One of her friends, who I realize must be her sister because of their similarities, follows her out. “Ashley! Stop,” she snaps quietly, turning.

“You’re the one being ridiculous,” her sister, Ashley, responds, looking around.

“How?” Grace responds, placing her hands on her hips. I notice her gaze flick over to me for a second before she focuses on her sister again.

“Are you really asking me that?”

“Yes. I am.”

I let out a sigh and slowly stand, walking over. I stop beside Grace, and Ashley, who has the lightest blonde hair I have ever seen, looks at me wide-eyed. “Are you one of Grace’s friends?” I ask her, keeping my voice even.

Her cheeks quickly gain color and her eyes shift away. Are they all like this?!

“This is my sister, Ashley,” Grace responds for her.

I quirk up one side of my mouth. “I’m James,” I say, offering a hand.

Ashley looks quickly at Grace before delicately placing her hand in mine. I shake it lightly before releasing it. “I was just talking with Grace about us leaving soon,” she says apologetically.

I’m not sure what that has to do with me. “I’m heading out soon,” I say a bit out of nowhere. I do NOT want to be here when the countdown is done.

“Oh. Well. I guess we can leave soon then,” Grace says to her sister.

Her sister rolls her eyes before walking back inside. “Are you staying in New York for a while?” I ask, turning.

“Uhm… I think I’m staying for another week or so,” she says, glancing around.

“James. Steve wants you.” I look up to find Sam standing in the doorway, a smug look on his face as he glances swiftly between me and Grace.

“Now?” I ask.

“Yes. Now,” Sam replies.

“See you around,” I say to Grace before quickly walking back inside. “What’s up?” I ask, raising my voice slightly.

“Not sure. He just said it was important,” Sam responds.

I frown when we come out of the crowd in front of the elevator. Sam presses the button for it and his fingerprint and face get scanned before the doors slide open. We both step in and go down one floor.

The doors open again and I remove my gloves as Sam leads me down to one of the rooms. We enter a small meeting room and I notice Steve and Romanoff inside.

“What’s going on?” I ask, looking between them.

“I’ll head back up,” Sam says before quickly exiting the room.

“A mission,” Steve responds.

I frown. “Right now?”

“Yes. It’s important.”

“How so?”

Steve and Romanoff exchange a look. “It has to do with 'The Group'. We need you to go undercover,” Steve says, looking back at me.

“For how long? Where? Why? Am I going to be on my own? And what is and isn’t allowed?” I ask evenly, removing my suit jacket.

“We’re not sure how long yet. Mostly in Spain and Portugal. We’ve found evidence that their influence may have spread there. For now, you’ll be on your own. And almost anything is allowed,” Romanoff says, answering my questions.

“Am I allowed to kill people?” I ask.

They exchange another look. “Not yet. We just need intel at the moment,” Steve replies.

“When do I leave?”

“Tonight.”

I nod and exit the room. They follow and we all get into the elevator. “We can’t send one of the quinjets but we have air service set up for you,” Steve says. The elevator opens on the top floor and I step out.

“You’ll have a com device. Tell us once you’ve arrived. We also have lodging set up for you,” Romanoff says.

With one more nod, I walk down the hall and to my room. I enter and glance around. If their influence is spreading, how long until they have people all over the world?

I start packing a duffel bag with clothing and other essentials.

I finish getting everything packed and remove my party attire changing into jeans, an athletic fabric black t-shirt, a jacket, and my boots.

I grab my bags and pull on my gloves before stepping out of my room.

I nearly have a heart attack when Romanoff materializes out of nowhere in front of me.

"There's a car waiting for you outside. It'll drive you to the airport where you'll have a plane waiting for you. Once you arrive in Madrid tell us through the com device. We have a contact that'll meet you there and bring you to a secure location."

"When do I get the details?" I ask, stepping toward the elevator.

"Once you've gotten to your safehouse, contact us again and we'll send you everything else you need to know. Good luck Barnes."

I snort humorlessly. "Thanks, Romanoff," I murmur before stepping inside the elevator and taking it down.

I seamlessly slip outside past the partygoers to find the car Romanoff had been talking about.

I get in and the driver and I exchange a single nod before he starts driving.

Here goes nothing.