⠂Chapter 8 ⠐

Warning. Some readers may find things in this chapter weird or disgusting.
FUN READING!
~~~~~~

A strange smell wakes me up but I keep my eyes closed, trying to figure out what it is. I hear a quiet whine and my eyes fly open to find myself face to face with Emery. I roll away from her, coughing quietly, before sitting up.

I groan and run my hands through my tangled mess of hair. Emery whines quietly again and I look down at her to find her staring up at me, her ears pulled back and her tail wagging happily.

I frown, standing and grabbing a sweater before pulling my door open the rest of the way and glancing down at my dad's door. He's not awake yet? Strange.

I grab a pair of warm socks and pull them on before glancing at where Emery had seated herself beside my door. "Let's go," I murmur, motioning to the door. She stands and rapidly exits my room, her tail wagging even more.

With one more glance at my dad's door, I follow Emery down to the back door. I step out after her and quickly pull the door shut behind me while watching Emery race around the expansive yard.

I let out a breath which comes out as a small cloud and look up at the sky. The horizon has just started to lighten but a few stars are still visible as is the moon.

Emery finishes with her business and trots happily up to me. I smile a bit and give her a brief pet before letting her back inside and feeding her.

I hear the creaky stair protest quietly and listen a moment longer to the nearly silent footsteps before identifying them as Bucky’s. I push off from the counter, turn away from the window, and face the entrance to the kitchen.

"Good morning Cyborg," I say, giving him a quick up and down look.

"Morning Twinkie," he mumbles back, running a gloved hand down his face.

I stare at the gloves for a moment. "My dad isn't awake yet, you don't need to have those on right now," I point out.

He glances down at them before shrugging and looking at Emery who had just finished her food. She looks between the two of us seeming confused about why my father isn't awake yet.

I frown slightly, sharing the dog's thoughts. After a moment I hear a set of footsteps upstairs and relax before I hear a second set of footsteps. My mouth drops open in anger and surprise and my eyes go to the stairs.

"What's wrong?" Bucky asks, sounding both cautious and concerned.

I'm too astounded to even get words past my lips and can do nothing but continue to stare up at the landing.

The mumble of two distinct voices drifts down to me and I quickly realize that neither voice sounds very happy.

"This is unbelievable," I mutter venomously. I walk over to the bottom of the stairs and inhale before shouting, "Dad! I'm starting on breakfast." Both of the voices immediately go quiet before they start talking again but more hushed this time, sounding like a gentle buzz.

"Astrid, what in the world is wrong?" Bucky asks, exasperated.

"We'll have to wait and see," I mutter darkly, walking back into the kitchen. "Can you get the eggs from the fridge?"

Bucky gives me a skeptical look. "You don't eat eggs," he points out.

"Yes, but my dad does," I respond, placing a pan on the stove and turning the heat on. I hear the sound of someone trying to walk quietly when that's out of their skill set.

I hear a door open and two sets of feet walking down the hallway, still trying desperately to make one set soundless.

The creaky stair protests twice and I finally turn around and walk to the kitchen entrance, my eyes landing on my dad, and a woman I've never seen before.

Things quickly click into place, far faster than anything ever has for me. I vaguely remember last night, hearing my dad's truck start and leave for a while before coming back. Upon its return, I had heard a pair of people laughing faintly before I must have fallen asleep for a little while. Then I had gone to Bucky but nothing had seemed out of the ordinary.

I give my dad a disgusted look. "You went out to a bar. Got drunk. Drove home drunk! AND HOOKED UP WITH A WOMAN BARELY OLDER THAN I AM!" I accuse.

My dad's eyes go wide. "Trid, you don't know I was drunk," he says weakly.

"I know how you look when you're nursing a hangover," I mutter, my voice going startlingly calm. 

I spare the woman a glance to see her watching me with wide eyes. "Is that your daughter?" she whispers, a tremor of fear in her soft voice.

My dad covers his face with a hand and lets out a breath before nodding slowly. "I need to take Eliza home," he mutters.

My skin crawls with the thought of my dad and this woman together. "Fine. James and I are planning on leaving today," I say simply.

"Okay… If you're gone before I get back it was good to see you," my dad says, trying for a smile.

I don't return it and instead, turn to the side. Bucky steps up next to me and gives my dad a long look. 

The woman, Eliza, takes an inhale so loud it's audible to me. I glance at her to find her eyes locked on Bucky. The look in them tells me one big thing about her: she's used to getting anyone she wants, and she wants Bucky.

A sudden protectiveness I've never had before bursts into existence and I take a fraction if I step in front of Bucky, locking eyes with Eliza. 

Hers narrow in annoyance before looking away from mine, now seeming nervous. "Can we go?" she asks my dad in a small voice, looking up at him with doe eyes.

My father, seeming too tired to do much, nods and walks to the front door. They leave swiftly and I listen as the truck drives down the driveway. 

"That little bitch seduced him," I mutter angrily, clenching my hands into fists against my legs to keep myself from grabbing something and throwing it across the room. "I saw that look in her eyes when she saw you," I mutter, now closing my eyes and taking controlled breaths.

"Let's go pack," Bucky murmurs.