⠂Chapter 21⠐|Bucky|

I give Astrid a careful look, making sure she's okay after I recall all that had happened. Her face is a bit pale but other than that she seems fine.

"You're lucky I was nearby enough to hear the gunshots," she murmurs, a small tremor in her voice.

"Yes. Very lucky," I agree, frowning in concern. "I'm gonna make you some tea," I decide, standing.

"Thank you," she says in a small voice, still trying to come back to the present.

I shouldn't have said everything! Great job James, now she'll probably get even sicker. She may not seem that sick but she has a mild fever and is also fighting off a cold.

I make tea for her about three times a day, switching between peppermint, elderberry, and lemon ginger, anything to ease her sore throat and cough.

The teapot goes off and I shake out of my head and grab a mug, placing an elderberry tea packet in it. I pour in the steaming water nearly to the top and place the teapot back down on the stove.

I let the tea steep for a minute before picking it up, not even realizing I'm holding the mug itself and not the stem.

"Can you not feel the temperature change with your metal hand?" Astrid asks as I walk into the living room.

I glance down at my hand and pause, thinking. I can feel the heat, but it doesn't burn, I just know it's there. "It doesn't burn but I can feel it... If I concentrate," I respond.

She reaches for the mug and I hand it over. "Thanks," she mumbles, sounding annoyed.

I sit down with a huff, trying to find something to do to distract my mind before it wanders. "It's snowing," I realize, staring at the window and watching as white clumps float past.

Astrid hums a response, sipping at her tea. "I'm making lunch when I'm gone with my tea. Do you want anything in particular?" she asks, glancing at me.

"Astrid, I don't know if-"

"I'm making lunch whether you tell me what you want or not," she says, cutting me off.

With a frown, I say, "Make what you want."

"I will," she mutters under her breath.

A few minutes later Astrid stands and walks into the kitchen. I let out a sigh before trailing after her and sitting across from her at the peninsula counter.

"You seem like you wanna say something," she says, taking things from the fridge.

"If you don't eat eggs we don't need to have them," I say slowly.

She shrugs. "It's not like I'm allergic to them. My stomach just doesn't like them."

"My idea still stands."

"I don't want you to have to give up eggs for me as well," she says, looking up at me briefly.

I shrug. "I wouldn't mind."

"I'm sure you wouldn't but you already changed enough for me. I don't want you giving up more foods as well."

"I uprooted your entire life, it only seems fair."

"Amusing. But no. It's fine." She takes out one of the cutting boards and also grabs a knife.

She washes off a few carrots and peels them before placing them on the cutting board. I lean back slightly, her cutting speed still making me nervous.

The carrots get cut into coins and put to the side. "Can you fill the big pot with water and put it on the stove to boil?" she asks, washing off a few potatoes.

Without saying anything I stand and grab the pot she had mentioned, filling it and placing it on the stove. I put the lid on and turn the heat to high before sitting back down again.

She takes out mushrooms and I let out a groan. "You said you didn't care what I made," she points out, giving me a look. "Also, you won't be able to taste them that much."

"Fine," I mutter, not in the mood to argue about it.

She continues making food, whatever it is, in silence and within ten minutes the mouthwatering smell of garlic and vegetables is filling the kitchen.

I watch as she quietly hums to herself while mixing and adding herbs to the pot. What does she think about while cooking? She always goes so quiet. It kinda scares me.

As she moves around the kitchen she reaches into one of the cabinets and removes a can of beans. She reaches into one of the drawers and pulls out the can opener, placing both in front of me before turning back to the stove, still humming quietly.

I sit there, frozen for a moment before picking up the can opener and swiftly opening the can of beans. I remove the thin metal disk from the top and place it into the recycling as Astrid picks up the can and dumps it into the pot.

What does Steve want with her? It can't just be about me, there has to be something else... It doesn't make sense.

"I'm not sure the counter deserves your glare. Unless it did something despicable," Astrid murmurs.

I glance up quickly. "Just thinking," I respond.

"Right," she says slowly. "Welp, the food's ready." She places a bowl and spoon in front of me.

"Thank you?" I say, not meaning for it to come out as a question.

"Mhm," she responds, sitting next to me. "And remember, you said I could make what I want, so don't complain," she murmurs.

"Yeah, yeah," I mutter under my breath.