⠂Chapter 19⠐|Bucky| (Continued)

TW: VIOLENCE AND SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC (yes again)
~~~~~~

“Don’t move!” some shouted. I froze and slowly turned until I could see who had spoken.

“You’re not holding that right,” I commented quietly, referring to the rifle he was holding.

His hands were shaking slightly, making the mouth of the gun move around in quick motions. I frowned in annoyance before taking a small step toward him. He tensed and held the gun tighter.

“I don’t think you’re gonna shoot me. Not anywhere vital at least,” I murmured, taking another small step toward him.

“I will shoot,” he whispered, his voice trembling with fear.

“Will you?” I questioned, stepping ever closer to him.

“He’s over he-” Before he could finish shouting I tackled him, knocking the gun from his hand.

His head made a sickening crack against the metal of the storage container and his head snapped weirdly. Hm… he broke his own neck.

With little sympathy for him, I stood and retrieved his gun, checking that it had bullets, before continuing.

“Shit! She can shoot!” I heard someone yell.

I paused, frowning. She? All the people I had encountered thus far had been male. Is someone helping me?

I took a moment to decide before I started slowly making my way toward the gunfire.

As I got closer a bullet whizzed past me. I ducked down and realized I was an easy target up where I was and quickly descended back to the ground.

I turned, my eyes landing on a pair with their guns trained on me, and quickly fired twice, knocking them down before they could react. Pressing my back against the storage container I edged my way along it until reaching the end.

I peeked around the corner before ducking back again, a volley of bullets flying past me.

“Why can’t any of you shoot her?!” I heard someone yell in outrage.

“Don’t move!” someone snapped from behind me. I heard multiple guns load and slowly turned, not dropping the rifle.

“Drop the gun,” a different person said. Four of them. This will be harder.

One of them took a step toward me but stopped and dropped like a stone, a red dot blooming on his forehead. A second one dropped and while the other two were distracted I shot them down as well.

I glanced behind me, trying to figure out who was helping me but couldn’t see anyone. Whoever they are. They know how to shoot.

Another minute passed and I was slowly taking down more of what I was assuming were Hydra operatives or enthusiasts, with the assistance of the unknown person.

“Out of bullets darling?” I heard someone say in that same southern drawl. “You can come out. We won’t hurt you.”

I waited for a response that didn’t come before darting across the open space to the next storage container. I swiftly made my way over toward the voice.

“You can only hide for so long darling. We’ll find you eventually.”

I peeked around the corner, locating the source of the voice and also a small cluster of other men, all of their guns pointed at a certain storage container.

I watched as one pressed up against the side of the container, his gun held out in front of him, and slowly made his way to the corner. Just as he was about to turn I heard a snap issue from his arm as his elbow bent the other way and his gun was pulled from his hand.

A second later a bang sounded and his head lurched to the side and he fell to the ground, blood spilling around him.

“You’re surrounded darlin’. Just come out instead of dragging this out,” the same guy said, barely paying the dead man a look. “Go find him,” he snapped quietly to a small group. They nodded and took off in the direction I had been going.

I hurry across the gap and walk silently along the length of the container. I turned the corner and paused to glance around it, spotting the back of the group. I darted across the gap to the next container, then the next, hoping I wouldn’t get spotted.

I poked my head around and spotted a woman, her striking coppery-auburn hair in disarray. Her hands were wrapped around a pistol and even from that distance, I could see that her knuckles were white.

I’ve seen red-heads before, but none of them with that hair color. Is it natural? I quickly shook myself from my thoughts and moved to the other side, peeking over at the cluster of men.

I went back to the other side. “Hey,” I hissed, watching the red-head. She whirled around, the gun trained on me. “Woah. Easy tiger,” I murmured, holding up a hand.

“You’re not with them?” she murmured, her eyebrows pulling together.

“No. They’re shooting at me,” I responded quietly.

“You… look familiar,” she said slowly.

“Princess. Why don’t you come out now. I’m starting to get impatient.” Her face screwed up at the nickname.

There’s no way her hair is natural… James, focus. Not on her, on the situation.

She glanced up at the storage containers, a concentrated look falling onto her face. “Can you climb that?” I asked quietly, looking up.

“We’ll see,” she murmured.

“I can help…” I said slowly.

“Can you now?” she murmured sarcastically. “Okay then. Come over here and help me,” she said, turning and giving me a look.

Damn. I quietly walked over to her, tensing when I heard the men discussing quietly. I looked up and judged the distance then looked down at her, figuring out how tall she is.

“I’m 5’6” if that’s what you’re wondering,” she muttered, sounding annoyed.

Finally, coming up with an idea, I crouched down. “Step on my shoulder.”