⠂Chapter 5⠐

“There’s a bonfire this evening,” my dad says, walking back in from the back deck.

“At whose house?” I ask, looking up from my phone.

“Dan’s.”

“Mkay,” I respond, looking back down at my phone. “James!” I yell.

A few seconds later Bucky appears at the top of the stairs. “Yes?”

“We’re going on a walk,” I tell him, standing.

With a skeptical look, he slowly comes down the stairs. “Do I have a say in this?” he asks, walking over to me.

“Not really,” I say simply, walking over to the front door. I pull on my boots and jacket and turn to find Bucky with his boots and coat already on.

“Ready?” he asks, a small smile pulling up one side of his mouth.

I roll my eyes goodheartedly before opening the door. “Yes.” Right before closing the door I peek my head back inside and locate my father. “We’ll be back in an hour or two,” I tell him. He nods before turning and walking into his office.

I brush past Bucky, walking down the stairs before turning to my left. I check to make sure Bucky is following. “Where are we even going?” he asks, catching up with me.

“On a walk,” I reply.

“In the woods?”

“Yes.”

“Without a path?”

“Yes.” He stares at me for a moment before letting out a breath.

We walk for a few minutes before I locate the stream I had been looking for. A small, cold substance lands on my nose and I look up quickly to find more snow flurries falling.

I look back down at the stream and notice that a small bit of both banks are frozen though the middle is flowing too fast for the entire thing to freeze.

“Can I ask you a question about the super-soldier serum?” I murmur, looking back up at the falling snow.

“If you must,” Bucky says slowly, seeming confused.

“Does it really increase your body temperature?”

“Yes… That is one of the many things it increased,” he responds after a moment. “Why the sudden curiosity?”

I shrug, starting at a slow pace down the edge of the stream. “Just what happened at the river.”

“Mm… Yes. You were freezing by the way.”

“I’m aware. I was the one shivering uncontrollably,” I say with a chuckle.

“Do you know where you’re going?” Bucky asks after a few minutes of walking.

“No. When I was younger I used to wander around near this stream. I’ll know how to get back,” I respond, looking back up as the snow increases slightly.

“Can I ask you a question now?” he asks.

“Go ahead,” I respond, glancing over at him.

“Can it be a bit personal?” he asks, looking over at me.

I stare at him for a moment before turning away. “Me asking about the serum was personal,” I point out.

“Is that a yes?” I nod, reaching a gloved hand out to catch a falling snowflake. “What happened between you and your dad?” I stop dead in my tracks and stare without seeing ahead of me. “You don’t have to answer,” Bucky says in a soft voice.