twenty-one

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: 1:34PM

I got out of the plane and was escorted to my soon to be new home for the next two months.

When I got there, I noticed the place was bigger than I expected. Although, it still looked like a prison that I hope to break out of soon.

As I entered the huge building I was welcomed by a peppy lady. She was blonde and in purple scrubs that had tiny palm trees all over it. She couldn't be over 35. "And you must be Y/N Hernandez-Ogletree."
"How could you tell? My Mom's short genes or my Dad's good looks?" I joked thinking that this lady will probably get on my nerves easily. So, I better start being a little sarcastic in the beginning so she can get used to it.
She smirked, "You're funny. You'll need a sense of humor in here. Anyways, where are my manners?" In the trash with the rest of your dignity, maybe? "My name is Victoria, but most people here call me Vic. I am the coordinator for the rehab center. Im here to assure you that your stay is pleasant and helpful. Now, come on. We have a lot of ground to cover and not much time to do it in."

Vic started walking faster through a hall to go out into a courtyard. It was nice. Green grass covered the whole yard with a few shady oak trees and benches beneath them. "This is where you'll get your Rec time or where you'll go if you just need to relax. A lot of people come out here to eat but that's only a privilege. You have to be progressing in your time here to eat in the courtyard."

An incentive to get me to eat outside? Wow, that's one of the shittiest rewards I've ever heard of.

We walked out of the courtyard into a bigger building in the back, "Now, this is the housing part of our center. There are only 100 patients in this rehab center. It's very exclusive but 100% successful. Most people that are here are teenagers like yourself. With the occasional young adult here and there."
"Do they go to school?" I asked feeling the slightest bit of hope they may be educated.
The lady shook her head, "School is a stressful environment that must be discussed with their therapists and such." Vic looked at her wrist watch and sighed, "Well, it looks like we'll cut the tour short for now so I can show you your room and get you to your first meeting."
"Meeting?" I was confused as we walked to the elevator.
Vic walked in and hurried behind her so she could press the 3rd floor button, "Yes, with Dr. Charles. He's the best of the best. Every single one of his patients have quit their bad habits cold turkey."
I shook my head thinking that some random doctor isn't going to make me stop my habits even if he tries. I'm going to be his worst night mare.

The bell dinged as we made it to our floor and the doors opened. Vic and I walked out and I got knocked down onto the floor by a tall boy.

"Fuck." I groaned feeling the pain in my back.
He extended his hand and I accepted it as he pulled me up without effort, "I am so sorry. I was running down the halls and-"
"Johnathen, this is why we don't run. How many times do I have to tell you?" Vic sternly told the boy.
"Maybe like 8 times within the last week, but I'm sorry. I can't help but rush from place to place. You'd do it to if your gym privileges were suspended."
"Well, if you were to go to bed when the curfew alarm sounds, then you wouldn't lose your incentives. Now, please stop running in the halls." Vic replied.
He nodded and looked back to me putting his soft hand on my arm, "Sorry again. See you around."

We walked down to the last room at the end of the hall. She opened the door to reveal a nice room with two beds. "There's an odd number of patients at the time so you'll have this room to yourself for a while, but don't worry. You won't be lonely for long. There's always a new face coming in and out of here."
I sighed, "Is it okay if I rest? I just got off the plane and came straight her. My jet lag is killing me."
She replied with a sad face, "No can do. You've gotta get to your appointment with your therapist to start your treatments. Don't worry, it shouldn't last long. After that, you're welcome to
come back and rest until dinner is served."

--

"How do you like the center so far, Y/N?" Dr. Charles asked.

He wasn't too old. Probably around the age of 29. He could be a model. In fact, he reminded me of an guy from an old show Mom used to watch. She called the character Doctor McDreamy.

I aighed, "Well, it's no club med but it's okay."
He smirked revealing his perfect, white teeth. "Well, let's try our best to make it your own personal club med. Now, let me just go over what will happen within the two months." I don't care. "You'll go to breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day with the possibilities of earning your own snacks. Now, during the rest of the day we will have a meeting before you go off into your electives. Now, you'll be given a list of electives that you can pick from. It could be art, music, physical education, etc. These are things to help you express yourself without alternative motives. You can switch electives as much as you want until you find one that suits you. Once a week, you will be put into a group and we will all come together to discuss our progress or what we feel needs to be fixed. Does that sound okay?"
"I feel like I don't have a choice whether or not it sounds good. So, I guess it sounds peachy." I replied solemnly.
He smiled as if he understood my emotions for the moment, "Well, besides all that business mess. You will have time during the day to calm down and relax with your friends on here. We aren't a prison. We're a caring facility."
"I don't have friends. I've only had one my whole life and she's in Houston. She's probably heard I'm in rehab now and thinks I've gone mental." I groaned thinking about Bailey. I wish I could talk to her or see her.
"Well, there are a lot of good people here. I'm sure you'll make some in no time." He replied brushing his trimmed hair back with his hand. "Now, you've got a call from your parents a few minutes ago to see if you've settled in nicely. Would you like to talk to them? They're still on hold."

I got up and glared towards phone on his desk. I walked toward it and pressed the red flashing button and pulled the phone up in my hand. I quickly put it back down on the receiver to hang up and looked back at the doctor who was grinning.
"You could've just said no." He laughed. "I see you're a little tired. So, how about this? You can go back to your room and rest. I'm sure you have your key."

I nodded remembering that I slipped my key into my pants pocket before I was dragged to this goddamn appointment.

--

When I got back to my room, I looked around to see that it wasn't half bad. In fact, it was nice. Fully furninshed, a small fridge, a TV, it was basically a studio apartment.

I was growing very tired, so I decided to lay down carefully on my bed. As my eyes grew heavier my thoughts grew more and more.

The sooner I get done here, the sooner I can get away from everyone. I want to start over. I need to start over.