twenty-three

Johnny and I walked through almost every part of this place. Now, he was taking me to the pond that was built into the lot because there used to be an elective where people could fish but too many hooks went missing. I'm guessing it was a patient stealing them for whatever reason. Now it's only used for landscape.

We walked up together to the pond and it wasn't too big or small. It had a brick bridge crossing over the middle. It looked simple.

"So, what exactly got you sent here by your parents. If you don't mind me asking about the gory details?" He laughed walking up the bridge and I trailed behind him.

I smiled, "I guess there's no need to be modest. I took a couple of pills and tried to jump off of a bridge."

His facial expression was now shocked, "Oh- oh my god. I guess we shouldn't be up here then."

I chuckled, "Don't worry, Johnny. I'm not about to fling myself off of every bridge I'm on."

He smiled, "Okay good. You wanna know why I'm here?"

I trailed down to see some identical markings on his arms that his brother had and nodded in response.

"Well, it's obvious that my brother and I kinda tried to off ourselves. It was kind of a dumb plan. We were both tired of shit at home and we went to a party. We both got a little too fucked up and left to go back home."

"Johnny, you really don't have to."

"No, it's cool. The first step is admitting what I did. I'm trying to make myself better." He laughed leaning on the side of the bridge, "Emotions rose and we both decided that it'd be a lot easier if we weren't here. Our Mom found us after a long night of partying."

"Johnny I'm sorry." I said with remorse.

"Why be sorry? I'm happy I'm alive. It gives me a lot to change. But my brother and I aren't allowed outta this hell for another year. We're stuck."

I nodded and hobbled over beside him and looked out to the small pond, "Well I'm stuck too."

"How are you stuck? I mean, my Mom loves your Mom and that group she's in. 'A Godly Woman with the heart of a angel'. That's what my Mom called her. Why'd she drop you in this shit hole?" He smiled flashing those bright eyes at me.

I shrugged, "Well your mom was right. She's a good woman but she had a bad kid. I guess I was just too much for her. It's whatever. I have plans after I get out of here."

"And what are you plans?"

"Staying as far away from everyone as possible."

He chuckled and grabbed my hand, "I like the way you think, y/n. How about we do that together? I need a new partner in crime."

I gripped his hand back and nodded, "Sounds like a plan, Johnny Boy."

--

A WEEK LATER

Johnny and I have gotten really close. We aren't dating and I think that's fine with both of us. We're both very touchy towards each other and sometimes we are closer to kissing than before but we don't do it. I think it's because we're just so comfortable with each other that there's no point in complicating things.

He's a good kid. I don't see how he got himself into this mess. Now his brother on the other hand, I can see. He's arrogant but nice. Funny but morbid. Although Johnny has the same quirks sometimes.

"Mail!" Luna yelled running into the room with a handful of letters. She began passing them out, "Here Johnny Boy and Josh." Luna handed them both a card each. Then she handed me 3 envelopes. One from Aunt Lauren, one from Mom and Dad, and one from Kara. Wait, what?

Kara Gomez.

I ripped the envelope open and grabbed out letter.

Dear Y/N,

so I know you're probably wondering why I'm writing you or how I even found out where you were. well let's just say that your mom didn't tell me but I called your phone and your dad answered and told me everything.

I can't believe they sent you to a rehab. fuck that. I kinda wanna break you out of there.

how did you even get yourself into this mess? was it because of that night? God, I hope not.

listen, I know you probably don't wanna talk to me but I still actually like you and I hope you'll wanna talk to me too.

I don't wanna write a long letter until I know you'll write me back.

Fingers crossed you'll reply.

- Kara

Josh reached for my letter and yanked it out of my hands. "Ooo, you have a little lover on the outside?"

I scowled at him and gripped the paper back, "Fuck off Josh Macintosh."

Josh playfully pushed Johnny, "You're girlfriend already has a girlfriend. How sad."

Johnny pushed him back, "Shut the fuck up."

I laughed and got up from the couch beside Johhny, "Well, I'm gonna go finish reading these in my room since certain people are too nosy."

I started walking to my bedroom when I felt someone pull my hand. I turned around to see Johnny.

He brushed his hair back with his hand and smiled, "So, I was wondering what you're planning on doing tonight."

"Sleeping." I replied happily.

"How about you and I hang out tonight? I have a special place that I wanna show you."

"If it's the pond, you've already shown me."

"Just meet me in the hallway outside of your room at 10."

"We have curfew." I pointed out.

He slightly chuckled, "I'm sure you broke enough rules in your day. In fact. That's what got you here. Just meet me at 10."

--

a/n: aye. thanks for being patient. it's coming back slowly but surely. I won't just leave this story hanging I promise. - agf