Chapter 21-Very small steps

Harry lived up to his word and actually played war with chestnuts the next day. It was fun. When he was a kid he used to like to play something like that too. He told Louis that and he was happy.

Even if Harry was sometimes dumb and somehow Louis' mom would send him to the garden for twenty minutes so that he could work out, he was still... Louis couldn't describe it. Maybe it was because Harry was spending so much time with him, but something in Louis liked Harry. He had decided to just accept it. As long as Harry disappeared to see weird people for a few hours every now and then, he was tolerable. And since Louis had toys, he didn't have to sleep all the time, even when Harry was asleep. For example, Louis had found that a sleeping Harry made a passable bench seat.

Unfortunately, Liam walked up to the window and had half a heart attack. You wouldn't sit on an Alpha. Never. He is always above everything. Uh, yeah, then he shouldn't be lying around on the floor, Louis had simply answered, but afterwards he had the feeling that he hadn't understood something correctly.

"Do you like Maggy?" Harry grunted as he tried to build a catapult out of sticks, ribbon and a spiked chestnut ball.

"Not really..." Louis retorted and threw one Walnut on Harry's fragile structure. He had to struggle not to growl. But he swallowed it because he thought it was childish himself. it was a game

"Why?"

"She's stupid and almost always a wolf and the others there are stupid too." Came immediately from Louis, who tried to protect his fortress somehow better by piling up a wall of snail shells in front of it.

"Then you'd rather be with me?" Harry asked as if that were completely absurd.

"No one steals Mr. Carrot here. You're one of them but you're not quite as stupid as the others." Louis explained, still concentrating on working stones into the wall.

"I'll take that as a compliment..."

"I like playing with you. Then you're like a dad." Louis grinned broadly and absolutely didn't understand why Harry then left without a word. Wasn't that meant to be nice?

"I have to be away for a few days," came the greeting when Harry returned a few hours later.

"Where to?"

"I have to go to the other pack you crawled through."

"Oh."

"Yeah oh. I'm taking Gemma. You're coming to Liam and Zayn."

"Really?" Louis asked happily.

"Why are you happy now?" Harry almost growled yet again. "

Because I don't have to go to Maggy." Louis rejoiced and hugged with joy for a few seconds Harry's belly. Wasn't life beautiful?

"Liam?"

"Yes?"

"Can Niall come?"

"Yes."

"Liam?"

"Yes?"

"Now?"

"Yes."

"Liam?"

"Oh, heavens, Puppy, what is it?"

"I can't just go get him. Harry has forbidden..."

"Oh right. I'll get him. Wait here." "

Idiot..." Zayn grumbled softly as Liam had left the house.

"Why idiot?"

"Oh, did you hear that?"

"Yes."

"Um. You're too young for that." grumbled Zayn.

Louis crawled closer to him. He learned every day and had noticed that they were all much more open when you cuddled them. So he snuggled up to Zayn before asking, "Don't you like him?"

"Of course I like him. We're both Harry's betas."

"Yeah, but it's kind of like Classmates. That doesn't mean that you like everyone." Louis retorted.

"Hm... Liam and I are both betas. You always have a little desire to be better. Even before the alpha."

"Before Harry?" Louis asked, stunned.

"Yes?" Zayn asked, irritated. What was unusual about that?

"Why do you want that? He is really strange."

"Strange?"

"Yes. He growls all the time. And stumbles every time you set something up. And he always wants to rule everything and often lies around and crushes you half flat." Zayn laughed. The idea of the often aloof Alpha using little Louis as a stuffed animal was divine.

"It may seem so to you. But he does a whole lot more."

"What?"

"Without the Alpha there is no pack. The stronger the Alpha, the bigger the pack. He keeps us safe here. When he's lying around, he still always listens to the Mind-link. He... He was alone for 25 years. Grant him that he always wants you close to him."

"Why alone? He's got these girls he has to go to."

"You know... They could never... make him happy. He can't love them. An alpha can only really love an omega. You can come to terms. Sure. There aren't that many omegas. But Harry could not do that. He didn't want to. He hates compromises. Couldn't choose any of the girls. It kept pulling him on. None of them were ever allowed to just sleep with him like that. Because he doesn't like being close to them. He had to wait for you."

"Why?"

"I'll tell you some other time. Your buddy comes."

"You don't want to talk about it."

"I don't think I should explain that to you."

"Who else?"

"Harry."

"Oh no. He always runs away."

"Why is he running away?" Zayn asked, patting Louis through the hair.

Liam and Niall were already standing at the entrance to the Pillow room, but were quite quiet.

"He played with me for the first time this morning and then I said I like him better than Maggy and then he's like a das, when we play."

Louis really had no idea what was so wrong with that. Harry took off and Zayn and as he now realized also Liam laughed their heads off.

"What's wrong with that?"

"He doesn't want to be your dad." Niall just said, horrified.

"Huh? Why? Then what?" Louis asked outright confused.

"He's your partner."

"Huh? For group work?"

Before Niall could reply again, Liam quickly intervened.

"No, little one. It's about something else. But sometimes it's a bit like one Work in groups. Just look at it this way: You are incredibly important to all of us. But you will never be more important to anyone than Harry. Even if he doesn't really show it sometimes."

"You're all weird."

"You too." Niall laughed.

"Li?" Louis then asked.

"Hm?"

"What's a slut?"

"Er... Another word for someone pretty," he said quickly, at which point Zayn started laughing out loud again while rambling something about a dad-zone. Whatever that was supposed to be.