Chapter 4: Blackouts

[ 3 hours ago ]

Woong POV:

"Baby, I don't want to go. I told you I'm fine." Woong complained as he watched his husband shove his medical records in a backpack.

"I don't care if you want to go or not. You have to go to the doctors. Besides, this is your every three months checkup. So stop complaining." Ravn was starting to get annoyed at Woong's stubbornness.

"Babe, they told us three months ago that I'm fine and that we can reschedule for every six months. Why do you keep insisting to keep going every three months?"

"Because I'm your husband and I get to decide that. Because I oversee all your medical stuff and I still worry about you, that's why. Because lately you've been having black out and small amnesia. Come on." Half dragging Woong out to the car.

Throughout the drive to the hospital, both were silent. Couple occasions, Ravn tried to hold Woong's hand but Woong pulled away which annoyed Ravn at that time.

[ in the doctor office ]

"Good morning Hwanwoong ssi."

"Good morning Doctor Seungwoo." Both Ravn and Hwanwoong bowed at the same time.

"From my understanding, your husband wanted me to check on you due to recent amnesia or blackouts?" Seating himself on a stool, a little too small for him, in front of the couple.

"Doctor, I don't know what my husband is talking about. I'm completely fine. It's just the regular flashbacks I have."

"No it's not Hwanwoong. Doctor, when he has these so-called "flashbacks", he looks at me like he doesn't know who I am or where he is. And when I ask him a question, he doesn't answer for a few minutes. Then he'll slowly come back to reality and act like nothing happened. This is very concerning, Doctor."

"I see. This indeed is concerning, I do agree. Hwanwoong, why don't you tell me what you feel during the blackouts?" The doctor asked as he scribbled something on his notepad.

Woong hesitated for a minute before Ravn pushed him. "Come Hwanwoong, just tell him the truth."

"Yeah Ravn is right. I do sometimes forget where I am and stuff but there's something else too. I keep seeing this man and I feel like I know him somehow."

"Ok that's normal. Let me ask, do you see his face? How does he make you feel?"

"I don't see his face or anything. I just see a figure and sometimes I see hair color and maybe what he's wearing. That's all I see. Usually I don't feel anything but sometimes scary and mysterious. I don't know how to describe it."

"Ok, that's totally normal. Do you think you knew this person before you lost your memory?"

"I-I-I" Woong started as he started showing signs that he was getting frustrated and anxious.

"It's ok, Hwanwoong. Let's take some deep breaths. It will be ok. Let's take a break, shall we?

"He doesn't." Ravn suddenly blurted out, making the doctor and Woong turn to him. "I mean he doesn't know anyone like the guy in his black outs. I knew all his friends, not any of them."

"Oh-oh ok. There is a way that might help you remember if you're interested. It's called hypnosis." Bringing up a new technique the doctor office has been implementing to patient's care.

"No, I don't agree with this. I would rather not have him do this hypnosis thing." Ravn quickly shut down the idea.

"I understand that this sounds scary but I assure you it's not. Please do think about it. Besides, it is your choice, Hwanwoong." Emphasizing the words 'your'.

Woong nodded without saying another word. "Is there any medication needed to be added or increased, doctor?" Ravn asked.

"No, he should just continue with the plan every six months unless something urgent comes up. And do please consider the hypnosis. That would be all." The doctor concluded before taking his clipboard and walking out the room.

[ outside the hospital ]

"So we're on first name bases, are we?" Pulling his hand from Ravn's grasp.

"What? It's not like that. Stop being like this." Turning around to face Hwanwoong, both standing in the parking lot.

"Like what? You're the problem, Ravn. You never listen to me when I tell you that I'm sure that I know that guy that keeps appearing in my black outs. You keep dismissing me and you don't even believe me. Do you even care?" Woong yelled.

"What? Of course I do. What -"

"Then tell me why do you keep dismissing me? Why were you so dominating in that doctor's office? Is it because you don't want me to say something you don't want the doctor to know? Are you hiding something from me, Ravn?" Woong started to speculate.

"...I'm not."

"You hesitated. What is it? Do you care about someone more than me? Do you know the guy in my black outs? Huh? Or is it because before my memory loss, you cheated on me with the guy in my black out and I wanted to leave you but somehow you made me forget everything just to keep me?!" Hwanwoong shouted.

"Are you hearing yourself talk? The nonsense that's coming out of your mouth right now? I am NOT hiding anything. Everything I'm doing is for you. I married you because no one cared about you and you didn't have anyone else."

The moment that came out of Ravn's mouth, the two fell in complete silence. "Wait that that's not-"

"So what am I? Trash that no one wants? And you happen just to pick me up because you feel sorry?" Tears sprang to Woong's eyes. "Is that what I am to you?"

"Baby, that's not-" Quickly grabbing Hwanwoong's arm, an attempt to prevent him from leaving.

"That's not what you mean? Then what? You know what? I don't want to see your face right now." Smacking Ravn's hands off of him.

"No wait baby. Please don't go, let me explain." Following close behind Woong.

"I said I don't want to see you right now!" Then walking away from Ravn who was in tears, regretting every word he said.

He knew he fucked up bad. He knew he needed to fix it but he knew Woong didn't want to see him at the moment.

* On the phone *

JoongELF: Hey Ravn, what's up?

RVmeow: Hey um could you hang out with Hwanwoong today? And don't tell him I told you to.

JoongELF: Why? What did you do?

RVmeow: *sighs* I might have done something to make Hwanwoong mad. And um he left and I don't know where he's going. Can you hang out with him today, please?

JoongELF: I know where he's going

RVmeow: Huh? Where?

JoongELF: To me. *pause* He called me 2 minutes ago and asked if I could hang out today. He sounded like he cried...a lot. Then I thought you somehow fucked up.

RVmeow: Then-then why did you ask me?

JoongELF: See if you were telling the truth and I just wanted to hear it from you. Anyways, Hwanwoong is on the way to my place and we'll go hang out. Talk to you later. Bye

RVmeow: Thank you, Joong. Bye

For the remainder of the hour and a half, Joong, Yeonjun, and Woong hung out with each other. Going to little shops and cafes.