ch. 5: Naruto Uzumaki

The next morning, it was as if that night hadn't occurred at all, and yet it was burned into her memory. She slept, but didn't feel rested, and when she got up, she stared at the wheelchair that was right beside her bed.

Did she even need it anymore? Yes, because she couldn't feel her legs at all. She wasn't even sure if what happened that night was real... But the horror she felt was real. She remembered the putrid scent and began to tremble all over again.

Of course, her friend wouldn't be aware of this.

Naruto made the hike to his friend's house like he would any other day, nothing seemed out of the ordinary except that she wasn't waiting on the porch like she normally would be.

Maybe she slept in, sometimes people just want to sleep late.

He knocked on the door first, and it opened slightly without much effort.

She left the door open? That's weird.

Naruto went into the house where the air was far too still. An ominous feeling washed over him and he quickly ran to the girl's room.

"Mina!"

He saw her on the floor and immediately went into panic mode.

"Are you okay!? Did you hit your head?" He dashed over to her, finding the strength to help her into the wheelchair. Worry was written all over his face as he looked her over.

"I'm sorry, Naruto, I uh, I just..." She tried to speak, but couldn't find the words.

He could sense something was off, but didn't know what to do, or say.

"What happened? Do you need to go to the hosp-"

"No. I'm okay..." She muttered, though Naruto could just tell something wasn't right.

"Let's go outside, you like it out there, right?" He unlocked the wheels and began pushing her to the front of the House.

She didn't say anything, just seemed kind of dazed, more out of touch than she had been previously.

He left the chair on the porch facing the garden bed they were making. "I know what'll cheer you up! Don't move, okay? I'll be right back!" He gave her hand a light squeeze, then ran off to get something.

Mina watched him go, wanting to reach out but every time she looked at her hands, she could only see the red. The very thought would cause a chill to run down her spine for the next few months, but today...

"I'm back! I didn't take too long, right?"

Naruto returned with his small arms filled with pouches.

His shouting brought her back again and her eyes lit up when she noticed what he was carrying.

Naruto nearly tripped trying to get to her, dropping a few of the pouches.

"So, I figured you'd want to plant flowers and stuff, but I also got some other seeds!"

With their status in the village, there wouldn't have been an easy task to obtain those seeds. Nobody wanted anything to do with him, nobody but her.

He'd be happy if she could smile, but the moment he saw the light in her eyes, the color slowly shifting to a radiant yellow, it all felt worth it.

"Do you like them?" He knew without asking, though her expression remained unfeeling, her eyes would always give her away.

"I... I do. I like them a lot." She held one of the pouches close to her chest. "It's perfect."

The fact that he was able to make her so happy, even just for a moment gave him great satisfaction.

They spent the day together again, working on the small garden that would soon become a lovely feild.