Chapter 5: The sales pitch

Ryan found a nice park to brainstorm while enjoying his free coffee. Ryan was still stuck with 1 penny and did not know how to proceed. He needs more than half a grand to buy a normal set of swords and shields. Ryan had to make a move. Fast.

Ryan took one last sip threw the coffee cup in a bin nearby and started walking. Ryan had no other option but to trade this penny for something else and make a profit off of it. That's when something catches his eyes.

"Yard sale?" Ryan saw a newsletter for a yard sale nearby. "Selling stuff for cheap," Ryan read. "Maybe they'll sell me something for a penny? Wouldn't hurt to try," Ryan shrugged and followed the direction in which the sign pointed.

Ryan walked for a few minutes practising how to persuade the yard-sale owner to sell him something for a penny.

"Hello! I'm Ryan," Ryan said to himself. "I'm Ryan, would u sell me something for a penny?", " I," Ryan scoffs.

After a few minutes, Ryan reached the yard sale. Ryan walked in.

"Is this the yard sale?" Ryan called out.

"Yes!" An old woman answered as she walked toward him.

"Hello" Rhan greeted.

"Hi" She greeted back. "You can look around, we have a ton of stuff we're trying to get rid of,"

"Alright thank you. I-I'll look around" Ryan said. He looked around for a while stalling time. He found a beautiful painting.

"Did you paint this?" Ryan asked.

The woman walked toward him and took a look at the painting. "Oh yes I did," The woman said.

"It's awesome," Ryan complimented.

"Thank you!"

This was the perfect moment to ask.

"Uh- I was wondering if you would sell me anything for a penny," Ryan said rubbing his neck.

The woman paused for a while thinking. Ryan chuckled nervously. "I could sell you a pen?" She said breaking the awkward silence.

"That would be awesome," Ryan said.

"I'll be back!" She said as she resumed back to the garage.

"Yes," Ryan mumbled to himself.

The woman resumed from the garage. "Here you go," She said handing him a pen.

"Thanks," Ryan reaches for the penny in his pocket and hands it over to her.

"Is it for a video or something?" The woman asked as she accepted a penny.

"Y--yes, Yes!" Ryan said, "yes, hm I'm living off a penny for a challenge" Ryan lied.

"I'm Judy," The lady introduced herself.

"Ryan,"

"Well, you have a good day,"

"You too!" Ryan said as he walked out.

People are so nice in this world Ryan thought as he walked down a street. First, he met Haylee now Judy. People are so kind in this world.

Now he should find a way to sell this for profit. He started walking to a fairly populated area and put a price tag on the pen. 1 dollar.

"Would you like to buy this one for a dollar?" Ryan asked a random person.

"I'm good," The person waved Ryan off.

"It's okay," Ryan moved on to his next target. "Would you like to buy this pen for a dollar?" He asked an old man.

"I don't have a dollar on me sorry" The old man declined.

"It's alright," Ryan said as he scanned the area for another target.

"Would anyone like to buy this pen for a dollar?" Ryan asked but almost everyone ignores him.

Ryan feels disheartened already and he's not even a day in.

"Howdy, Would you like to buy this pen for a dollar?" Guess what? He got rejected

Rejection after Rejection, He finally got lucky.

"Would you like to buy this pen for a dollar?" He asked a couple of ladies who were sitting on a patio.

"Uh-" The ladies looked at each other.

"Sure! I think have a dollar," One of the ladies answered as she started digging into her handbag.

"That's great! Thank you," Ryan beamed.

"Here," She said handing Ryan a dollar.

"Thank you very much," Ryan said as he handed over the pen. A huge smile was plastered on Ryan's face as he took the dollar.

"Have a good day ladies," He wished them

"You too,"

Ryan walked away smiling like a toddler who got a candy. He got one dollar! But the victory was short-lived when he realised he needed a lot more than just a dollar. But hey it's a start!

Ryan was now planning on how to make some profit off of this dollar. He could buy some candy and sell them but who sells a pack of candy for a dollar. But that's exactly what he found. A place where they sell stuff for a dollar. A Helping hand for people like Ryan. Low and behold "Dollar store"

"Do they really sell stuff for a dollar?" Ryan wondered. If Ryan could find a pack of candies he could sell it individually for a profit. Ryan walked inside the store.

The store was enormous. It was filled to the brim with commodities ranging from birthday balloons to back scratches. Ryan asked his way to the candy section. He couldn't help but awe at the vast type of candies available there. Jolly ranchers, M & M's, Protein bars, lollipops, peppermints and much more. He saw any of these brands before in his realm. He recollected a memory of a particular type of candy he used to eat when he was young, it was made from this rare type of fruit, the original candy you'll buy was tiny but when you put it in water, the magic happens, it expands, It becomes so big that you could eat it for days. Ryan gave out a soft laugh. He used to eat it like a monster.
Ryan resisted the temptation to buy candy for himself. It was so difficult to resist that desire, who wouldn't want to buy one?
Ryan wanted to buy the Jolly Ranchers but it was a bit more than a dollar. So much for living up to your name, Ryan thought. He explored a bit more but couldn't find anything matching his interests so he settled for a bag of peppermints which cost $0.99 The candies were individually wrapped, perfect for selling them individually.

Ryan handed the cashier a dollar.

"Thank you for shopping with us, here's the change," the cashier said placing a penny on the desk.

"Thank you, good day" Ryan collected his penny and the bag of peppermint and departs. He will surely return to this dollar store.