Chapter 6: Jumping Ships

Ryan decided to sell 4 peppermints for $0.25

"Selling peppermints, 4 for 25 cents," Ryan called out as he walked through the busy ally.

"Peppermints for sale!" This went on for about 30 minutes until finally, a sweet old lady walked up to him

"I would like some peppermints," She said as she rampaged through her purse.

"Awesome," Ryan said. "It's 4 for 25 cents.

"Alright," The old woman said handing him over a dollar.

"Seriously!" Ryan exclaimed. "Thank you very much, Here have 8!"

"Thank you," The old woman said collecting the candies. "Have a good day, kid,"

"You too!" Ryan said as she walked away. Dang old ladies in this universe are kind. Just like that Ryan was at break-even he still had a ton more to sell. With newfound motivation, Ryan proceeded to sell some more peppermints.

Back on Expance-4300,

"Pick up your phone, Ryan" Roger said to himself baffled as he dialled again.

"Is your friend here?" Mark said impatiently.

"I can't reach him," Roger answered.

"What do you mean you can't reach him? It's not like he's on another planet! Call him again! I want him here this instant!" Mark asserted as he left.

"Ryan, I swear," Roger said dropping his phone on his desk. "Where are you when we need you the most?" He mumbled to himself.

"Hey, He's still not picking up?" Maddie asked.

"No, The call's not reachable," Roger said. "I should probably go check on him after work, He's been gone for 3 whole days and Mark's not happy 'bout it"

"Did he tell something to you? Before disappearing?" Maddie asked.

"He had a pretty bad day I guess, he asked me stupid questions about work," Roger answered.

"Did you ask his parents?" Maddie inquired.

"He texted me that he was going on a trip with them, But it was supposed to be for a day,"

"You should probably ask them, he might've changed his mind and stayed there for a couple of days?" Maddie suggested.

"I don't think I have their number,"

"I'll try to find it," Maddie said resuming back to work.

"Thank you,"

*le time skip*

Roger knocks on Ryan's door.

"Ryan? You in there, buddy?" He said knocking again. "Ryan, if you're not going to answer, I'm gonna knock this damn door down," Roger picked up his phone and dials Ryan's number. He places his ear on the door to check if the phone's ringing from the inside. He listens for a few minutes but he couldn't hear anything coming from the inside.

"He's not home," Roger concludes. Just as he was about to leave Maddie pings him.

Maddie: Found his dad's number.

Roger texts back a thank you and dials the number. A man, Ryan's dad picked up the phone.

"Hello?" He said.

"Hey uh, Mr Trahan?" Roger confirmed.

"Yes,"

"It's, uh, Ryan's friend, Roger" Roger introduced himself.