Chapter 17: New job

"My calves!" Ryan whined as he rode uphill for the 20th time today, He got a bit carried away delivering food, He did about...fifteen deliveries without break today and the heat was getting into him. Earlier this day, He spent his last 3 bucks in the dumbest way possible, When he got his first order at McDonald's for a woman named Dayley, He actually ordered her food by himself and delivered it. He saved it for buying an iced coffee which would really be refreshing at a moment like this.

"Last," Ryan inhaled trying to catch his breath. "Last delivery," Holy moly, Who thought food delivery would be this hard! Ryan stopped in front of a house, placed a food bag on their doorstep and took off to the park.

The park was more crowded than usual. Kids were screaming their heads off and running around like some hooligans, Fluffy beasts were running around and attacking each other and some people were eating snacks on big blankets.

Ryan walked up to his "Spot", The park bench, Only to find it taken over by some old people. He didn't want to bother them, So he pushed his bike around, trying to find a spot. And find a spot he did.

He plopped down under a large shady tree. He sighed a sign of relief. He massaged his Calves, Oh my dear Calves, he thought. He could really use a good burrito and a large cup of iced coffee. He rested his head on a tree and began to dose off.

***
Expance-4300

"Your friend's been missing for how long now?" A neatly shaved middle-aged man, Wearing a dark brown police outfit asked.

"About a...Week," Roger said. He and Maddie tried day and night trying to track down Ryan, But all went in vain. So they decided to get the police involved.

"A week?" The man raised his eyebrows. "And you decided to tell us that now?" The man said sipping his coffee.

"We tried to look around for him--" Roger started.

"And you couldn't find him, so here you are!" The officer assumed. "File a complaint, Send me a photo and scoot, We'll inform you guys if we find something," He said turning his attention to a hologram model of the city, Hovering the map around, He zoomed to a certain location and pin-pointed it. It's none other than Ryan's apartment.

Roger walked outside after filing a complaint and called Maddie as he walked to a tram station.

"Hello?" Maddie answered.

"Hey um--"

"Did you file the complaint?" Maddie interrupted.

"Yea," Roger said brushing his eyebrows, "but they don't seem...Interested,"

"Would you be interested if YOU got a complaint about a missing person when you have hundreds of other missing person cases?" Maddie asked. "They'll inform you if they find something,"

"Okay," Roger sighed.

"Stop being restless, Roger, We will find him, I'm sure," Maddie consoled him.

Roger nodded.

"I can't see you're reaction, Silly, we're on a phone call!" Madrid exclaimed.

"Yea," Roger paused. "I'm pretty sure, We will find him too,"

"That's the spirit," Maddie beamed. "Mark is here, I'll talk to you later, bye, love you,"

"Love you too," Roger sighed as Maddie disconnected the call.

***
Ryan's phone buzzed, He searched for his phone in his back pocket sleepily. He held it up to his face, but it was blurry.

"Hello?" He held the phone up to his ear but the phone continued buzzing. "Oh," Ryan answered the call, correctly this time. "Hello?" He called out again.

"Mr Trahan, Thomas here," Thomas introduced himself.

"Thomas!" Ryan jolted up. "What's up?"

"Sir has a job for you," Thomas announced. "Be here at 6,"

"J-job?" Ryan stuttered. "At 6?"

"Did I stutter?" Thomas answered frustratedly. "Yes, be here at six," Thomas disconnected the call.

"Tho-oh," Ryan put his phone back into his pocket. He didn't expect a call from Vincent this fast, Ryan was excited, Food delivery was exhausting, He's looking forward to his new job hoping it would be less exhausting. The phone chimed again, This time a message.

"$56.69 have been deposited to your bank account xx--," Ryan read out the message. I could get my iced coffee now! Ryan thought. He jumped up straight and started walking toward Haylee's coffee shop.

***
"Here, Table 4," Haylee ordered Frank as she handed him a tray. "And this is for table 7," She placed another tray on his other hand.

"Okkaayy," Frank said balancing the plates.

"Careful," Haylee said to Frank who was walking outside.

"I'm good, I can balance three plates," Frank scoffed.

"I meant the plates, Frank, I'm not re-doing orders," Haylee said turning her attention to a boiling kettle. The business was booming as always, Haylee is proud of herself for managing the shop when her dad's not in town, He would be on the moon when he sees the profit her daughter made. She patted herself on the back.

"Good job Haylee," She whispered to herself. "I'm so--" She was interrupted by some plates clattering. "FRANK!" Haylee yelled out, The sight of 3 broken plates and cake splattered on the floor welcomed her.

"It's the darn cat!" Frank swore and pointed at Kyle who was innocently liking his paws on the cash counter. "I swear--" Frank said putting his head down. "I'll clean up," Frank muttered as he walked in inside.

"Sorry about...that," Haylee apologised to the staring customers. "I'll get your orders really quick, be right back,"  Haylee said to table 4 and table 7 and resumed back into the kitchen where Frank was gathering cleaning materials.

"I can balance three plates," Haylee mocked at Frank as she gathered some plates.

"It's your cat's fault, Not mine," Frank rolled his eyes. "Look at him, acting all innocent," He muttered under his breath.

"He is innocent, You're just clumsy," Haylee said preparing the orders again. The bell chimed.

"Attend the customer," Frank said.

"Whose gonna prepare the food?"

"The floor ain't gonna clean itself up," Frank answered back. "You should get some people to work here,"

Haylee groaned. "Clean the stuff up, I'll attend the customer," Haylee said turning off the stove and walked outside. Frank followed her with a broom and a pan.

"What happened here?" Ryan questioned as he saw Haylee.

"Frank dropped the plates," Haylee said.

"It's the cat's fault!" Frank said sweeping up the broken plates.

"Iced coffee?" Haylee asked.

"Yup," Ryan confirmed and took his seat. He can't wait to take up a new and possibly stable job.