Chapter 13: Investigation.

Why is this day so hot, Ryan's drenched in sweat from head to toe. He had to look at least decent for Vincent Alfredo's dinner. He can't go looking like some homeless idiot, which...He is.

Ryan followed the old drill, penny to pen, pen to a dollar, dollar to peppermints, Peppermints to candies, candies to more candies!

This time it was a breeze doing all the work, almost everyone opened their wallets and bought Ryan's goodies, he initially thought he was a master vendor, but it was obviously clear that they recognised him from the news and wanted to help him out, and get some juicy gossip.

"You're from the news right?" A bald man of strong build asked him.

"I guess," Ryan said re-arranging the candies in his near-empty basket to make it look more full.

"Awesome," He said taking out his wallet, "Gimme some of that," He said pointing to a specific candy.

"Here," Ryan said giving it to him.

"Thank you," He said handing him a 5-dollar bill.

"Thank you, dude, Have a good day," Ryan said joyfully.

"No problemo, By the way," He said lingering, "How did they look like?"

"Who?"

"The kidnapper,"

"Oh, Why do you ask?" Ryan asked. He could be a mafia member, he looks like one. What if he was checking if I could recognise one of his gang member? He would kill him and Ryan would lose all the money he had gathered now.

"Partially because I'm interested," He paused. "And partially because I'm deployed to investigate on this case," He said showing his badge.

"Texas state police?" Ryan read out. "You're a man of the law?" Ryan confirmed.

"I guess," The officer said. "I would like you to drop by the station to answer a few questions," He concluded.

"Am I in trouble?" Ryan asked concerned.

"No, We're just gonna ask you a few questions," He clarified.

"Okay," Ryan nodded. "Now?"

"Yes,"

***

Ryan entered the station, he was led to a room and was asked to wait for a few minutes.

The room looked boring and bland, there was only a table and two chairs opposite to each other. Ryan sat there restlessly. Apart from that, there was a mirror. Ryan was extremely bored so he made some funny faces at it, not knowing it would piss some officers on the other side of it out.

"The fuck is he doing?" He heard a low voice.

Ryan was now aware that it was a two-way mirror.

"Hey,"  He waved.

Suddenly the door opens revealing two officers.

"Mr Trahan," One officer greeted as they sat down on the opposite chair, "I'm detective Richards," He said extending an arm.

"Hello," Ryan shook his arm.

"Officer Daniel," He introduced himself.

"Was surprised you guys didn't show up sooner," Ryan said.

"We got held back by another case," Richards said.

"A murder one, Potentially caused by the same person you encountered,"  Daniel said.

"Nah, That's not possible," Ryan said, it was always a different person, right? He was told it was.

"Why is that," Daniel asked leaning forward.