Chapter 9: Small town, Big trouble

Ryan grew fond of this small town. He gathered up enough money for a bike plus more due to the sheer amount of kindness these people were inflicting upon Ryan.

After thinking back and forth for hours, Ryan finally decided to buy the bike, One, He would have transportation, Ryan was tired of walking back and forth to the dollar store with was a mile away and Two, He could do chores for people in exchange for money, like food delivery.

"Forty...Fifty," He said counting the money, "here," He said handing the money to Judy.

"Congrats on your new bike," Judy congratulated him. Ryan felt proud, Accomplished for the first time in his life, He got this from a freaking penny. But there's still a long way to go.

"Thank you, Judy," Ryan thanked her and went for a ride.

This bike for 50 dollars was a steal, it had gears, A basket and most importantly, Two sets of wheels.

As he rode down the road he remembered the people who helped him buy the bike, The old woman, The ladies sitting by the porch, Judy and of course 'Quinn'

"Look what I got!" He called out to the ladies who he met earlier.

"That's awesome!" One lady commented.

"Congratulations!" Another lady commented as he rode past them.

"Thank you," Ryan was on cloud nine, he wanted to celebrate with a nice cup of iced coffee.

***

"It's surprisingly quiet today," Haylee commented.

"I'm bored," Frank yawned as he turned the TV on. "When's your dad coming back from vacation?"

"In a week, Probably," Haylee shrugged turning her attention to the TV.

"Oh..."

The bell chimes.

"Go attend the customer," Haylee ordered Frank not turning her attention from the TV

"No, you go," Frank snapped.

"Frank..." She started.

"Fine, Fine," Arguing to Haylee was fruitless. "I'll go. Happy now?" He said as he stood up.

"Good evening," Ryan greeted as he saw them.

"Good evening," Frank greeted "Ryan, right?" Frank enquired as he leads him to a seat.

"Yup," Ryan said taking a seat.

"Ryan!" Haylee blurted as she noticed him, "guess you like our coffee very much,"

"Yea! It's really good," Ryan complimented. "One iced coffee, please?" Ryan ordered.

"Gotcha," Frank said heading to the kitchen.

Ryan fiddled with his fingers waiting for his coffee. He heard a soft purr coming from under the table.

Ryan jerked, No, not again. That darn cat poked his head out.

"Shoo," He said hiding his hand away from the cat. The cat didn't budge it was looking at him, staring at his soul.

After a few failed attempts to get rid of the cat, Ryan diverted his attention to the TV.

A sour-looking man, In his mid-sixties, With a weird moustache wearing a beige suit and tie spoke up.

The masked kidnapper strikes again, The headline read.

"That's right folks, The masked kidnapper strikes again! This time abducting a 7-year-old girl from the famous Alfredo family, This masked menace should be stopped now,"

"Another one?" Haylee muttered in amusement.

"Has this happened before?" Ryan asked in confusion.

"Plenty of times," She started. "Usually it's older men or teens," she continued. "This is the first time they kidnapped a kid,"

"They?" Ryan asked amused and sick at the same time.

"Yea," Haylee turned back to him. "It's never the same person, They're always different, But they always wear the same mask and suit,"

"Like a team? Like 'The fours'?" Ryan questioned.

"The fours?"

"Nevermind," The Fours were a mafia gang back in Expance, they used to do stuff like this before the police tracked them down and suppressed their power.

"And the police never found, like, one of them?" Ryan questioned.

"No, They always say they'll look into it, but they never seem to make any progress," Haylee commented. "But I think they'll take it seriously this time,"

"Why?" Ryan asked.

"Because the kid's dad is stacked," Frank commented as he placed the coffee on Ryan's table.

"Thank you," Ryan thanked him. "What do you mean stacked,"

"He's rich. Like crazy," Frank said taking a seat. "I'm pretty sure he'll do anything to get his daughter back,"

A tiny idea crept into Ryan's brain, If he could find the girl, Her dad would reward him for finding his daughter, he could ask him for some money and defeating the dragon will be a piece of cake!

The TV screen changes replacing The news reporter with a man in a black blazer, He looked rich, Rich but in distress. He looked like he hasn't had any sleep for a long time. His eyes looked swell and bloodshot.

"I don't know who you are, or what you are, I request you to surrender my daughter by tomorrow," The man paused. "Peacefully,"

Chills ran down Ryan's spine, This man is so....intimidating. What does he mean 'what you are?'.

"That's one way to talk to the person who's holding your kid hostage," Frank joked.

"If not, I'm coming to hunt you down,"

The TV screen pans back to the news reporter.

"Hope the masked menace received this message," The man shouted at the camera. "It's about time the police catch the public enemy number one!" He yelled. Man, this guy is annoying. "J.Jhona Jameson Out," He said returning to his normal voice, he disappears and a commercial for detergent rolls out.

Haylee turns the TV off.

Ryan sipped his coffee, The image of the distressed father lingers in his head. "W-Why does- Do they kidnap people?" Ryan asked.

Haylee shrugged, "No one knows,"

"The police had never found any of them," Frank Paused. "Alive,"

Shit just escalated from 0 to 100 real quick.

"They found them...unalive?" Ryan asked.

Haylee and Frank exchanged confused looks.

"Well, you could put it that way," Frank said. "Yes, They found them dead, Or in your words 'unalive' " Frank said with a smirk.

The image of a sweet little town disappeared from Ryan's head.

"So you're telling me, there are Psycho-maniacs running around this town who could kill me at any given moment?"

"Probably," Frank said.

Ryan nervously sipped his drink. Should he move to another town?

Wait a minute!

Why is Ryan worried? If he dies he would get respawned. He could be a hero! He simply couldn't die. Well, He would lose all his money and weapons, but he can't lose stuff he bought on earth right?

A tiny smile crept on Ryan's face.

Ryan just found a loophole, A big one.