The third stress story made during my exams

This may become a mini series.

"Is it self-harm?" A man asked. He was 40 years old and looking down at the girl he had hired as a housecleaner.

"No," The girl said. Her hand laid on a stone chich gloved a soft blue telling him that she spoke the truth. He looked at the scared but small arm which belonged to her. Her small hand lay on the stone and he noticed that it was free of scars.

"Who did this?" He asked not caring if it was a sensitive topic. He wanted answers and he wanted them now. She may just be a maid working for him but he saw her as more. He saw her as his student. He was a famous artist and she was his promising student.

"I lied when I told you that my malnourishment was due to a poor family. My family wasn't poor at all they just hated me because I'm a product of rape," The girl said. The stone didn't change color and the artist looked at her with sorrow in his eyes seeing that she had small tears rolling down her cheeks. He was sure the lighting was messing with him as he thought they were red maybe even black but there was no way that could be right.

"I'm sorry," He said. she quickly collected herself and looked at him after whipping her tears.

"Don't be. You are not the one who hurt me," She said. He looked at her.

"Is your entire body this bad?" He asked. She just gave a nod and looked away.

"The only parts there was ever spared were my head and hands," She said. The stone still gloved and he looked at her concerned before taking the hand, not on the stone.

"Gradient we have to get your parents arrested," He said. The girl just looked down.

"My father is a rapist who I never knew. My mother is dead," She said. He looked at her and took her other hand.

"Do you have any other family?" He asked. Gradient looked down knowing that the stone would rat her out if she lied.

"I have 2 brothers and a sister. They didn't know what my mother was doing until she died or so I'd like to believe," Gradient said. He looked at her.

"May I get your mother's name?" He asked. Gradient looked at him confused. That was a very odd request.

"########  Rodmich," Gradient said. He got up instantly.

"Take tomorrow off. I need some time to clear my head," He said and was about to leave but He turned his head at the last moment.

"Gradient I knew your mother," He said before leaving. She was shocked by what he said. How could he know her mother and not recognize her? Gradient was the spitting image of her mother. She got up to her room on the top floor of the building. Her room was the addict. She made her way to the window opened it and climbed onto the roof. The cold breeze that always blew up there soothed her. A funny thing to many. Most people were soothed by warmth but if there is one thing Gradient learned is it that warmth could be taken away coldness would never be taken. It was the one thing people couldn't strip from her and the one thing she found stability in. She found comfort in. She stood up looking at the stary sky. She saw the artist, whose name was Ink, walk away from the house. He had locked the door. She sighed as she felt her emotions becoming too much for her. She had to get them under control or else she would start to crack. Gradient set off of the roof jumping over to the neighboring roof and running along it jumping from house to house. It calmed her as the cold air cut her skin almost painfully. The feeling of running, the jumps, that she alone was in control of where she went, that she alone was to blame for her mistakes, and the punishment for slipping wouldn't be more than it would be for anyone else doing the same thing. It made her feel in control it made her feel like her body was her own and her mind only belonged to her and wasn't for anyone to control or take care of or break. It made her feel... Sane. She saw others jumping like her running making sure to not intervene in others' paths. The outlet was widely accepted by people as mental health was greatly valued. Gradient smiled once she stopped at her favorite spot. It was the tallest tower in the city. It gave the best view over the city and sky. It was also the most dangerous to get up on. She smiled as she sat down looking up and feeling her skin become numb due to the cold air. She smiled listening to the distant sounds of people jumping through the roof. She took out a packet from her pocket and was about to open it.

"SHIT!" Someone yelled. He hurried and grabbed their hand before they could fall and gain a broken bone. She only held them barely able to do that due to her lack of muscles.

"You have to pull yourself up," She said. They did just that. They were breathing heavily and she could make out the silhouette of a man.

"Thanks," He said. It only confirmed her suspicion. He couldn't be too old judging by his voice."Wouldn't want you on my conscious knowing I could have stopped the fall," She said as she took the packet from before and pulled out something she was too young to buy legally. She lit the cigarette in her mouth and leaned back.

"Whoa, aren't you a little too young to smoke?" They asked. She sighed annoyed that she saved him.

"Aren't you too young to fail that small jump," she asked as she leaned back and laid on the rooftop smoking the mango-scented cigarette.

"And don't worry it's not tobacco," She said. He looked straight at her almost confused as she pulled one out offering it. He took it and lit it using his own lighter. Both inhaled deeply before letting the colored smoke leave them. Gradient's were a deep purple while the man's were a deep green. The smoke had a soft almost none existing glow but it did have the scent of mango. Gradient felt the soft breeze cover her and blow away the smoke. She tasted the mango and smelled it. She felt her lungs relax at the drug-induced cigarette.

"Where did you get this? It's pretty good," He said once he was halfway through his.

"Got them illegally so," She didn't have to say more.

"Let me guess Agness?" He asked taking another sharp inhalation. Gradient was quiet for a while.

"Yes," she replied. The man laughed softly.

"She is my cousin and refuses to sell them to me," He said with a laugh. Gradient smiled as she inhaled deeper than any of the other times.

"Name's Raven, what is yours?" He asked. Gradient paused for a moment fearing that it was Ravenfrom her hometown but then again what were the odds. They were hundreds of kilometers away.

"Name's Gradient," she said. He gave her a cigarette as pay for the one he smoked. She took it and smelled it. Smoked mint. This was a rare taste. She put it in her pack and extinguished her cigarette. Both were laying on the roof enjoying the breeze while looking at the stars. They were relaxing and maybe a bit high. You never knew if there was a little more in the cigarettes but it did have one drug as a guarantee. She relaxed into the metal roof wishing she could stay the entire night but she couldn't. She had to go back now. She got up and the man only looked at her as the last few bubbles of smoke left her clothing being carried through the wind.

"Going home?" He asked. She sighed.

"Yes," she said.

"You know your name reminds me of someone who I once knew. She left," Gradient sighed.

"Raven we both know damn well that we are both from godlock," she said. He laughed dryly.

"We are. I'm just glad that you haven't killed yourself," He said. Gradient looked at him.

"and I genuinely regret caching you," She said.

"Take care Gradient. I never told you, but I love you," She heard but hurried up as she departed. This trip only made her tenser but thankfully she would have the entire night to think about it. She saw her house and Ink waiting outside fumbling with his keys in what appeared to be a bit of a drunken haze. She got home just as the artist entered the house once again. Gradient hurried to close the window and lay in her bed with all her clothing pretending to sleep. She heard her door open and he walked in. He placed a hand on her cheek softly caressing it.

"How do I tell you that I'm your father?"