Chapter Two

Haley remained frozen, drink in hand. She snapped out of it when Sabrina was waving her hand in front of her face. Sabrina knew all about the summer with Bradley Bradshaw. It had been one of the most thrilling summers of Haley's life. It had been a only been friends with benefits situation, but Sabrina was the only person who knew. Despite being a grown-ass adult, Haley hadn't wanted her brother to know. She was never sure why, but he couldn't stand Rooster. The feeling was mutual. Bradley had shared with her that it was Jake's attitude, arrogance and "cocky ass smile" on his end. So the summer had been their secret, then they went their separate ways.

Not wanting to ruin their arrangement, Haley never admitted that she had feelings for Rooster. She'd had them for a while going into the deal, but kept that information to herself. She felt a little guilty the day they had decided do make such an arrangement, knowing how she felt. Neither had been seeing anyone, and it had sounded fun. They trusted and respected one another, it seemed like it would be beneficial for both of them. The benefits of a relationship, without the complications of one. By the end of the three months, she had fallen even harder, but chose not to tell him. She knew that had never been the agreement, and did not want to make things more complicated. Their friendship had meant something to her. Not to mention, having to explain a relationship to Jake, who liked to put on the "overprotective brother" act even as adults.

"Fuck me." Haley mumbled, sipping her drink quickly.

"Me or him?" Sabrina asked, "I think he did that already." She was clearly trying to make a joke and lighten the mood. Haley didn't feel any better. She had known this was a possibility, but facing it was another story. She'd avoided him after they parted ways, going on separate jobs in the Navy. He was in a different squadron than her, so that was not uncommon. He had been part of the strike fighter squadron, VFA-87 Golden Warriors.

Haley finished her drink and stood up from the bar. She gave a nod to Sabrina, and headed over to the pool table. When she reached it, she recognized several other pilots. Natasha 'Phoenix' Trace, Reuben 'Payback' Fitch, Mickey 'Fanboy' Garcia, and of course her brother. She noticed a quiet guy in a chair with glasses. As she was walking up, she heard him say his name was Bob....and it was also his callsign. He seemed a little shy, something Haley couldn't relate to.

She snatched the cue from her brother, walking up to the table. "I thought you guys could use some actual competition." Haley said with a smirk. She heard Phoenix laugh, knowing she wasn't a fan of her brother. The two girls fist bumped.

"Who's hung out to dry now, Bagman?" Phoenix asked, using a mocking version of Jake's call sign, Hangman.

Haley leaned over to do a break shot when she felt someone come up behind her. "Cock-a-doodle-doo, Bradshaw as I live and breathe." Jake smirked, sipping his beer. She knew it was a tease about the callsign Rooster and also answered the question about who walked up behind her. She pushed the cue back to shoot, hitting Bradley in the stomach. Haley heard him grunt whenever the stick made contact with him. She stood up and turned around. She had to look up at him, feeling smaller than usual. He looked exactly the same and she felt like she had just went in a time machine to the last time she saw him.

"Space much?" Haley said, narrowing her eyes. She felt her entire body light up having him that close to her again. She did her best to not let that show.

He tilted his head, looking down at her. "Didn't see you there, shortcake." It was an reference to her height. One that she both hated and had loved.

Haley walked around the table, passing the cue over to Phoenix. She didn't make eye contact with her brother, but he seemed occupied elsewhere. Her exchange with Rooster wasn't anything out of the ordinary. They had always teased once another. Though her jabbing him in the stomach with a pool cue was new. Her mind felt like it was going a million miles an hour, tuning out the other pilots and their talk about the upcoming training. When zoned back in, she saw her brother and Rooster exchanging words. Both of them looked like dogs trying to make their territory. Rooster turned around and went to unplug the jukebox. Haley watched as he went to sit at the piano, putting his sunglasses back on.

At this, he began to play. This drew in the attention of a few of the other pilots, going to join him at the piano. She'd seen this multiple times before, it was his thing he loved to do at bars. Play the piano and sing to older songs. He'd told her once he remembered his Dad doing it, in the short time he had with his Dad before he died. As "Great Balls of Fire" was being played and belted out by both Rooster and some of the bar, Haley headed back to Sabrina. She got another drink from her and headed outside. She plopped down on the beach with her drink.

How the hell was she going to get through the next few weeks?